Healthy Vegan Food

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I will have a word with my vegan friends and see if I can find out the name of the place and give them a call. Whatever it is I don't want it again ! I've not seen a 5 mol rise with anything since starting the CGM. Dinner rarely registers as having eaten at all.

Reactions: Freema

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have a problem with the local canteen. It's not vegan put they are making always dishes for vegetarian and vegans. They put potatoes and rice everywhere normally, when they swap eggs and cheese for vegetable alternatives they're using more carbohydrate filled food, because they are swapping animal proteins with gluten or pectin to make the food stay together.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today I found myself out and bout with a couple of health food experts, we were hungry - so we went to their " must try" vegan cafe.
BS before food 4.4 - 45 minutes later 9.4 !!!!1 this is the worst reading I have had in a month - especially in the late afternoon normally at the low end of my day .

Next time I will give being healthy a miss and go for the steak ! :) oops .

I was seriously astonished as the stuff really did look as it if actually should be healthy and in fact tasted better than I as expecting - God knows what was hidden in it!
I expect it was healthy for non diabetic Vegans as all of the food was probably not low carb

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
A

Avocado Sevenfold

https://diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html
As an example Dr. Andreas Eenfeldt of diet Doctor has posted at least 2 readings I have seen where he has tested his blood glucose after meals at conferences at over 9 mmol, I have also seen higher than 7.8 on either Trust Me I'm a Doctor or similar, maybe Food unwrapped.
To whom are you aiming these blood glucose level guidelines? I'm confused. Do all non-diabetics need to know this?

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Mbaker and @CherryAA, I'm at a bit of a loss as to what the issue is here...

The cafe that was visited was in no way, shape or form tailored towards those who eat LC or diabetics for that matter. So if you ask me, the 45 minute post-prandial BG spike (which was completely normal by the way, and actually more like 30-35 minutes on the Libre) does not really warrant a full blown investigation.

If you want my opinion, for all it's worth, I'd blame the soup for the BG spike over anything else. Most recipes with peas that I've come across and used, contain potato - and in varying quantities. Some also contain added sugar too.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Well you know what they say when in Vega do as the Vegans do. :)

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@Mbaker and @CherryAA, I'm at a bit of a loss as to what the issue is here...

The cafe that was visited was in no way, shape or form tailored towards those who eat LC or diabetics for that matter. So if you ask me, the 45 minute post-prandial BG spike (which was completely normal by the way, and actually more like 30-35 minutes on the Libre) does not really warrant a full blown investigation.

If you want my opinion, for all it's worth, I'd blame the soup for the BG spike over anything else. Most recipes with peas that I've come across and used, contain potato - and in varying quantities. Some also contain added sugar too.
Hi @GrantGam I can't speak for @CherryAA, but if I had a spike that large and had thought I had the obvious carby bits removed, I would from a knowledge perspective want to know the ingredient(s) which caused this, so as to avoid in future. A spike of 5 when you are more used to say a 2 would be scary, so I don't can see where @CherryAA would enquire as to this, I would too, each to their own.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
To whom are you aiming these blood glucose level guidelines? I'm confused. Do all non-diabetics need to know this?
No one in particular. I can't answer your second question.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @GrantGam I can't speak for @CherryAA, but if I had a spike that large and had thought I had the obvious carby bits removed, I would from a knowledge perspective want to know the ingredient(s) which caused this, so as to avoid in future. A spike of 5 when you are more used to say a 2 would be scary, so I don't can see where @CherryAA would enquire as to this, I would too, each to their own.

i just thought "interesting -lets not do that again " lol
according to research I have read someone with "Normal" blood sugars is under 7.8 for 99% of the time and under 6.7% 91% of the time I have not been finding it that hard to get close to the less than 7.8% the vast majority of the time (about 95% )so anything that takes me above 8 is something I am interested in finding out more about.

I spoke to the cafe and they said they did use potato s thickener - small portions of potato as thickener have not been a problem for me before - maybe it was the lack of fat that emphasised it.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I spoke to the cafe and they said they did use potato s thickener - small portions of potato as thickener have not been a problem for me before - maybe it was the lack of fat that emphasised it.
Entirely possible. The addition of fat would dampen the spiking effect from the potato. But you won't know just how much potato was used...

At least you're now a step closer to finding out why your BG 'spiked':)

Last edited:

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The thing that surprised me most was that I
had a vegetable bake with cheese , a pea soup and i told them to leave off the pasta , the sweet potato and the rice . so as far as i was aware i was eating a low carb , vegetarian dish .

I have eaten all of the identifiable ingredients before with no issues and my afternoon meals rarely cause more than a 2 mmol spike . I cannot imagine what actual ingredient could have caused the issue to be honest . Ive made my own cheese sauces with flour and not caused any spike at all.
The pea soup would spike me - legumes are on my list of 'take care with these' foods. Their carbs seem to have more impact.

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well you know what they say when in Vega do as the Vegans do. :)
Like dance some Italo Disco song called "Vega"
By the way
Goldrake is Goldorak in French, Grendizer in Engish and in Japanese UFOロボ グレンダイザー

qe5rt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
...a pea soup ...

Pea soup has about 10 grams of carbs of which 3.2 grams sugars per 100 grams. Some even have 25 grams of carbs per serving which is quite hefty.

I'm wondering why the "food experts" didn't consider the effect food would have on your blood glucose. Might it be because their expertise was derived from the back of a Shangri-La brand whole grain muesli with fermented bullsh... well you get my point. All nutritional advice given should start in relation to the person it is given to. Generic nutritional advice without personalized adaptations is mostly worthless and as you found out can even cause adverse effects. That's not the say that the food you ate wasn't healthy it just wasn't the best option when you throw diabetes in the mix. For diabetics the effect food will have on your blood glucose takes precedence after which all other considerations come in to play. We're luckily still left with plenty of options. Just be weary of so called food experts even those with the best intentions,

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is true that my inclination in the circumstances was a chip shop take away fish in batter - something I have found I can eat in the afternoon without too much effect. The other two looked askance at that and I thought I would try something new .

Funnily enough I was so astounded at the 9.4 that as I got off the tube with it still registering that decided I would eat something I like to see just how bad it could get. I had fish in batter with three pkts of tomato sauce and some builders tea with milk.

Blood sugars just carried on going down from the first meal high - the fish in batter didn't register at all.

In their defence both are astonished at the effect it had and both thought they were advising something low carb anyway. .

I had had so little response to things like portions of peas before I thought it would be ok, You live and learn !

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Next time you go out for a meal with them insist on going to a steak house.

And they can have a meat free Porterhouse Steak.

Reactions: CherryAA