Mirena coil & blood sugars/insulin requirements

Okulu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello,

Just wondering if anyone could help me...
I had the Mirena coil (progesterone coil, not copper) put in 3.5 weeks ago, and I'm really starting to notice my blood sugars going up/needing more insulin (over the past 1.5 weeks).
I'm not sure if this is just coincidence, or whether it's related to the Mirena coil. Has anyone else found this with the Mirena? If so, what ended up happening - did things go back to how they were? Or did you end up needing more insulin overall? If so, how much more (percentage wise) did you find you needed?

I know type 1 is very individual an I just need to keep testing etc etc, but just a bit of info on your experience with the Mirena coil would be super helpful...

Thanks so much in advance for your help!

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As the mirena coil works by giving out progesterone it's going to be changing your hormonal balance. That could very well be having an effect on your insulin sensitivity.

Okulu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
As the mirena coil works by giving out progesterone it's going to be changing your hormonal balance. That could very well be having an effect on your insulin sensitivity.

Thanks for your reply! Yeah, I assumed this was the case (despite my GP telling me "it'll have no affect on your diabetes". They really do know nothing), but just wondering about the amount of change to expect/whether it's permanent...? Any idea?

Reactions: sadsocks

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for your reply! Yeah, I assumed this was the case (despite my GP telling me "it'll have no affect on your diabetes". They really do know nothing), but just wondering about the amount of change to expect/whether it's permanent...? Any idea?

I've not had a coil so I don't know. I would think its permanent/constant while you've got the mirena in because it's working as contraception by constantly giving out progesterone.

sigita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've got mirrena about 17 months ish. And yes- it's messing up with my sugar levels. My period basically has disappeared or shows in few months timing. But monthly I can feel all periods signs and it's huge spike of sugar. I need more insulin and still haven't Find out how much more, juts guessing and that week in the month it's not my favorite ☹️ good luck

Okulu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've got mirrena about 17 months ish. And yes- it's messing up with my sugar levels. My period basically has disappeared or shows in few months timing. But monthly I can feel all periods signs and it's huge spike of sugar. I need more insulin and still haven't Find out how much more, juts guessing and that week in the month it's not my favorite ☹️ good luck

Hi!
Thanks for replying. So, do you still find your blood sugar fluctuates throughout the month (as in the same as before you had the Mirena), or is it just constantly higher than it used to be?
Thanks again!

sigita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi!
Thanks for replying. So, do you still find your blood sugar fluctuates throughout the month (as in the same as before you had the Mirena), or is it just constantly higher than it used to be?
Thanks again!

I meant that I've noticed this higher sugar level and more insulin needs after I got mirena inserted. I didn't notice this before mirena

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I tried the Mirena for a year and didn't get on with it at all, my total daily insulin requirements increased and it affected my moods yes my periods virtually disappeared but that was little compensation in the grand scheme of things so had it removed. Anything that affects your hormones has a direct impact on insulin requirements regardless of what your GP says.

Reactions: joss.t2 and sigita

sigita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I start thinking about that too, because I can't handle with my bg and I can think of only hormones which affected by mirena

Okulu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I tried the Mirena for a year and didn't get on with it at all, my total daily insulin requirements increased and it affected my moods yes my periods virtually disappeared but that was little compensation in the grand scheme of things so had it removed. Anything that affects your hormones has a direct impact on insulin requirements regardless of what your GP says.

Thanks for the reply. My total daily requirements have massively increased too (from ~35-42u/day to ~50u/day), but things have stabilised now (I've found the basal rates and IC ratios that I need to keep my BG in range). I'm hoping that now I'm vaguely sorted, my settings will sort of all stay the same over the month, which I think on balance, will be easier than dealing with the constant fluctuations of a menstrual cycle!
Finger's crossed though...if things keep on changing, I may consider having it out, although I'm fine mood-wise; I've just got a bit of acne on my chest and back but I can do stuff about that. If I have it out though, that leaves me with no contraceptive options.... gahhh.. What do you use now (sorry, hope you don't mind me asking?)?

Also...when the GP said 'it won't have any affect on your diabetes', I replied saying there's no way she could say that given it's progesterone; it's just that I don't know what level of impact it's going to have. That shut her up. Although I don't think she believed me. I really hate it when GPs try to tell me about my diabetes, which is clearly something they know very little about... Sorry, rant over.

Last edited:
Reactions: sigita

Okulu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I meant that I've noticed this higher sugar level and more insulin needs after I got mirena inserted. I didn't notice this before mirena

OK, thanks. Have you tried increasing your insulin? I've steadily increased mine and think I have everything a bit more under control...

sigita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
OK, thanks. Have you tried increasing your insulin? I've steadily increased mine and think I have everything a bit more under control...

Actually I had reduce, I used 26 u of lantus, later -19 u, and now I'm using 14 u, and I haven't proper answers why my hormones are not stable if someone asks me

Okulu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Actually I had reduce, I used 26 u of lantus, later -19 u, and now I'm using 14 u, and I haven't proper answers why my hormones are not stable if someone asks me

Oh, ok, so it was the opposite - you were getting lots of hypos, so had to reduce your insulin? Sorry, I'm really confused..

sigita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh that's rubbish. Hope things sort themselves out soon. How long have hypos been happening?

A month ish, still trying to figure out lantus and novorapid ratio.. everything is changing continuously

kareeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Being so high I can barely open my eyes :(
Hi
I know this is an old thread but I am due to have the mirena fitting this afternoon and I am very nervous about it. Can any of you ladies give me a heads up about what to expect?
Thanks in advance (i'm very nervous) :cyclops:
Karen

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @kareeta - I think each woman will have a different experience with this, some have had good and some bad, it really depends on how your body responds to it as it is releasing a hormone which may impact on your control and which you can see from your BG tests. My advice would be to monitor it over the next few months including your general mood, worse case scenario is that you can have it removed.

Reactions: kareeta