Big Drop in Ac1

Red_Fox22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Everyone

Just wanted to share my joy/amazement at getting my latest AC1 results from my Dr.

I am a bit of odd T2, being young (38) and slim and the Dr has treated me something of an curates egg of a patient.

Diagnosed in late Jan with AC1 of 109.

Treated this without meds, diet only for a month and it was down to 94.

Started metformin in mid-march and just had my latest results which are now down to 60.

60 is a huge drop, I cannot believe it, is that typical for new T2s?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This would be the glycated haemoglobin reading?
I dropped 44 without medication for most of the time, so yes, diet can really turn things around - my number now puts me out of the diabetic range.
It is what makes people sad and angry about the advice given to many diabetics to eat lots of those 'healthy' carbs.

Reactions: Freema

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done, you are on the right track and that is a good drop in such a short time. :)

Perhaps with some more tweaks to your diet you may see another big drop by the time of your next test. Diet is the key to control. Metformin only helps to a limited extent, if at all, especially if you are already slim. It works better on those that are overweight.

Red_Fox22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It is the chart I as given expressed as being "mmol/mol". It is the easiest to understand.

I have cut out carbs drastically but still enjoy most things.

Reactions: Ultramum

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

No. It is rather rare...except for those who started out on low carb high fat diets.

The success and testimonial thread is full of such "anecdotal" experiences that is being continually dismissed by the mainstream medication community. http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/success-stories-and-testimonials.43/

It is rather odd that a relatively free and effective solution is being disregarded in the presence of a health catastrophe that is set to bankrupt and cripple an entire generation...

Buttons11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mine dropped by 59 points after 2 months LCHF (and meds).

Red_Fox22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Sorry, I just re-read my initial post which was poorly written and a little ambiguous.

I have dropped from 109 in late Jan to 60 now (total drop of 49, not a drop of 60) but in the last month alone I have dropped 34.

Can I expect similar drops if I stay on the same course?

Reactions: Ultramum

DiabeticDadUK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Everyone

Just wanted to share my joy/amazement at getting my latest AC1 results from my Dr.

I am a bit of odd T2, being young (38) and slim and the Dr has treated me something of an curates egg of a patient.

Diagnosed in late Jan with AC1 of 109.

Treated this without meds, diet only for a month and it was down to 94.

Started metformin in mid-march and just had my latest results which are now down to 60.

Wow! Well done that is a huge % drop. You should be rightly proud of yourself and celebrate accordingly :)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry, I just re-read my initial post which was poorly written and a little ambiguous.

I have dropped from 109 in late Jan to 60 now (total drop of 49, not a drop of 60) but in the last month alone I have dropped 34.

Can I expect similar drops if I stay on the same course?

In my observation, most people seem to have their "range". Having worked on my way of eating, I seem to run at around 31. I did have a couple of HbA1cs that went to 33 (a trivial increase in my view) when I was undergoing medical investigations, then surgery, but it came back to 31 after that.

Not everyone can go very low for a huge number of reasons, but many can, if their condition is picked up before damage is done.

Good luck with it all.

vekay

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wow well done!

I dropped from 147 to 44 but it took months.

The only reason it dropped was because I stumbled on this forum and read about the LCHF diet that everybody here advised.

So in my opinion, medication only helps a little and diet is the key.