One Touch Ultra - R.I.P. Select or Verio Flex?

SugarBuzz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
**** doctors. Airport travel.
Hi. Is anyone else using the One Touch Ultra meter? I recently received an email ( see underneath) to say that it's basically being discontinued.

I have to upgrade asap to either OneTouch Select® Plus or OneTouch Verio Flex®. Has anyone done this, if so would you recommend one over the other? For me it's currently going to be a flip of the coin. Anyway, hopefully this is a European wide thing as I don't want to have any issues getting the new strips when outside of the UK.

Original email (April 2016):

"Dear OneTouch® Customer,

We want to ensure your blood glucose meter meets the latest international accuracy standard.* The standard is set by ISO, the organisation that ensures products are safe, reliable and good quality.

Test strips for meters that do not meet the new international standard will no longer be available. We would like to inform you that manufacturing of OneTouch Ultra® and OneTouch Vita® test strips will cease in June 2017.† Our meters with ColourSure™ Technology‡ meet the latest standard (EN ISO 15197:2015 certified*).

We are pleased to introduce the OneTouch Verio Flex® meter, featuring ColourSureTM Technology to help you take the guesswork out of your blood glucose numbers, so you can get on with the moment. And the OneTouch Reveal® mobile and web apps which highlight your patterns using colourful, easy to understand visuals to help you track important information between visits to your healthcare professional."

kpol2016

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi

They started phasing those meters out last year in the Highlands. I am now on the One touch Verio and the One touch VerioIQ, both take the same strips, but need different usb cables !
I like the IQ model, as it gives you the option, to say before or after meal. It also uses a rechargeable battery, which is charged through the usb cable, the Verio, uses the small disc batteries, that last about 2 years.
I do not use the apps, I use the Onetouch pc based programme, that stores all of my data. I have a windows 10 phone, which has less apps then the other types of phones.

My local diabetic clinic down loads all the readings from my meters at least once a year, so do not delete the readings.
I have one meter with me, one in the car, and one at home.

Not seen the other meters, so I can not comment on them.

SugarBuzz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
**** doctors. Airport travel.
Thanks for the response.

The onetouch ultra meter only saves the last 30 days of bs readings. :-(
Anyway, as it's almost May I'd better decide between those 2 meters. I guess the battery might be an issue - I'd prefer one that lasts '2 years' rather than having to keep recharging.