Hi... newly diagnosed Type 1

daffadam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How are you coping at this time? Please keep us informed.

Yeah slowly and surely I'm getting there.
It can be a silent disease, cause there's been times where I feel completely fine, but my blood sugar levels will tell me something different. Though the whole blurry vision was a real shock at first, cause my whole life I've had a perfect vision. So that was a real awakening that something's not right with me.

Also I had my second hypo today as I had lunch a little later than usual. I went below 3 and I had the shakes, felt really hot and dizzy but luckily I had some glucose tablets... that stuff is truly amazing!

Apart from that I'm feeling alright!
Hopefully be back at work next week

Hammer1964

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Meat, meat substitutes and fish
@daffadam hi. I was diagnosed 8 weeks ago..was told I was type 2 but had type 1 confirmed 4 weeks ago. It's a lot to take in but this forum is brilliant for advice. I don't post much but am on here most days.
When I was first diagnosed my eyesight went very blurry over the first few weeks due to my levels coming down from being very high to the point where I had to wear reading glasses for a few weeks! They are now back to normal and no glasses required hang in there. There is 'no size fits all'...it will get better and in time you'll get to grips with it all.

Hi Nico76 , I was diagnosed nearly two weeks ago (Type 2) and have had to wear reading glasses as things looked a bit blurry so your post has given me a bit of hope, thanks. Tracy

cm369

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Nico76 , I was diagnosed nearly two weeks ago (Type 2) and have had to wear reading glasses as things looked a bit blurry so your post has given me a bit of hope, thanks. Tracy
Me too! Two weeks in a blurry vision is the most frustrating thing. Helps to hear other people have it too - I found it very scary and so so frustrating!
Good luck with a speedy recovery from it.

KezG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tripe, most shellfish.. mussels, cockles etc...
@daffadam Hi.. just read your posts sounds like you're getting the hang of things.. I wanted to add my experiences with the blurred vision. It was my poor vision that eventually led me to my diagnosis. my eyes went so bad in the space of 2 weeks that I needed specs to see at distance. after several weeks the specs were useless as my sight had changed again. I went to see another optician who prescribed reading glasses. and suggested I see my GP. I had the usual other symptoms by then too.. peeing all the time thirsty and lost nearly 30pounds in weight. Today my eyes have almost returned to normal as my glucose levels are much lower. My DSN told me that high glucose in the eye can take longer to come down than it does in your blood so it can take a few weeks for your sight to get back to somewhere near normal. I still use reading glasses where I didn't before diagnosis.. but that could just be down to my age.

daffadam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@daffadam Hi.. just read your posts sounds like you're getting the hang of things.. I wanted to add my experiences with the blurred vision. It was my poor vision that eventually led me to my diagnosis. my eyes went so bad in the space of 2 weeks that I needed specs to see at distance. after several weeks the specs were useless as my sight had changed again. I went to see another optician who prescribed reading glasses. and suggested I see my GP. I had the usual other symptoms by then too.. peeing all the time thirsty and lost nearly 30pounds in weight. Today my eyes have almost returned to normal as my glucose levels are much lower. My DSN told me that high glucose in the eye can take longer to come down than it does in your blood so it can take a few weeks for your sight to get back to somewhere near normal. I still use reading glasses where I didn't before diagnosis.. but that could just be down to my age.

Hey thanks for the response.
Sounds like we had the exact same experience and glad to hear your vision has returned to normal.

Luckily my eyes are starting to get better now, I'm still wearing reading glasses but only when I look at a digital screen. Fingers crossed I'll have my vision back to how it was before the diagnosis.

Reactions: KezG