Metformin question (again)

Thyroiddiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
How long have you been on metformin and dosage with normal kidney and liver function.Trying to assets just how long most people have been on these meds.

Last edited:
Reactions: fullenglish22

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
20 years, although my liver function was screwed up by Rosiglitazone and has been poor ever since although not taken for 10 years at least. I did have on annual checkup 16 months ago where my GP said that my liver function was "normal". I have to investigate that further because it is now poor again and I need to get the actual numbers. I also believe that there are two different tests that they can use for the liver so I need to check.

Thyroiddiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
20 years, although my liver function was screwed up by Rosiglitazone and has been poor ever since although not taken for 10 years at least. I did have on annual checkup 16 months ago where my GP said that my liver function was "normal". I have to investigate that further because it is now poor again and I need to get the actual numbers. I also believe that there are two different tests that they can use for the liver so I need to check.
I always thought the 30 or so kg I lost would do far greater damage than 3 metformin per day.Thanks for replying.
Meaning without metformin there's no.way that weight would have been lost my body was totally insulin resistant.

Last edited:

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I always thought the 30 or so kg I lost would do far greater damage

Sorry if I'm being thick, or is it just old age. Weight loss and liver damage, is there a connection. I'm in trouble if there is.

When I was put on Rosiglitazone my weight started to increase dramatically, I definitely wasn't eating, drinking more or exercising less but the weight piled on. When I complained to my GP he prescribed Citilapram for anxiety, the pillock, I was getting fatter and fatter and couldn't care less. I suppose at least the citilapram was doing it's job except I was walking round like a fat obese zombie.

A liver test showed damage and I was told to stop Rosiglitazone immediately so no surprise I was losing weight as quicly as I gained it, at most 1 stone per month. Happy boy so out went the citilapram thank goodness.

I had gone up to 27 stone and I'm now much closer to 19 stone. Some way to go but low carb, low calories, low fat isn't cutting it. I think Newcastle Diet is next, I've only got the protein to give up anyway.

Reactions: Thyroiddiabetic

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I always thought the 30 or so kg I lost would do far greater damage than 3 metformin per day.Thanks for replying.
Hi. Why would weight loss cause liver damage. Typically it might be the opposite as weight loss would help remove and insulin resistance due to deposited fat. I've been on Metformin for 15 years and my liver function is normal; so is my kidney function.

Thyroiddiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi. Why would weight loss cause liver damage. Typically it might be the opposite as weight loss would help remove and insulin resistance due to deposited fat. I've been on Metformin for 15 years and my liver function is normal; so is my kidney function.
Sorry perhaps the meaning wasn't clear.What I meant was that my body was so insulin resistant that without metformin there's no way I could have lost 25/30 kg.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
What are your liver and kidney function tests like? Are they within normal range or teetering on the edge, or abnormal? Are they getting worse since you started Metformin?

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
metformin there's no way I could have lost 25/30 kg.

That's very interesting, I can understand why, I had dreadful diarrhea for a long time, probably 4 years. Sadly it never helped me lose weight. I did start getting a lot of arthritic pain in my knees and I think cocodomol negated the effects of metformin.

Thyroiddiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
What are your liver and kidney function tests like? Are they within normal range or teetering on the edge, or abnormal? Are they getting worse since you started Metformin?
I don't actually know. I haven't had a liver function test in 10 years before metformin.I normally just have the urine test 2 times yearly.Since coming off medical cover.I will be asking for the kidney and liver function tests next visit in 1 month since being on this forum.Urine test showed trace protein which they said was normal.I did put on a lot of weight with.time release metformin.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't actually know. I haven't had a liver function test in 10 years before metformin.I normally just have the urine test 2 times yearly.Since coming off medical cover.I will be asking for the kidney and liver function tests next visit in 1 month since being on this forum.Urine test showed trace protein which they said was normal.I did put on a lot of weight with.time release metformin.

Liver and kidney function blood tests are essential for diabetics, whether on Metformin or not. Here in the UK we get them at least annually, some (like me) 6 monthly.

Metformin is designed to help you lose weight, not gain weight. I suggest any weight gain is down to some other reason. Too many calories? Too many carbs causing too high insulin levels which in turn causes weight gain. (insulin is the fat hormone)? Or something else, but I doubt it is Metformin. It is an appetite suppressant.

Thyroiddiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
That's very interesting, I can understand why, I had dreadful diarrhea for a long time, probably 4 years. Sadly it never helped me lose weight. I did start getting a lot of arthritic pain in my knees and I think cocodomol negated the effects of metformin.
David do you still take metformin ,my thyroid was low too so started thyroid meds too which are causing me a lot of problems.Do.You know for certain if the knee pain was from metformin.I was for a few days on crutches and do seem to have developed pain in the knees.I have done a lot of walking like 30 or more km a week for 6 years which could have contributed.

Thyroiddiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Liver and kidney function blood tests are essential for diabetics, whether on Metformin or not. Here in the UK we get them at least annually, some (like me) 6 monthly.

Metformin is designed to help you lose weight, not gain weight. I suggest any weight gain is down to some other reason. Too many calories? Too many carbs causing too high insulin levels which in turn causes weight gain. (insulin is the fat hormone)? Or something else, but I doubt it is Metformin. It is an appetite suppressant.
I since changed back to the normal metformin and lost the weight problem was you take them at night so by the time evening came the appetite suppressing effect had worn off and I was starving.Also kidney pain they were no good for me there is a prof.Endocrinologist near me just 4 times the cost of a gp visit.

Last edited:

ExD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Not quite sure what's going on here.
Are you telling me that metformin causes liver damage?

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Do.You know for certain if the knee pain was from metformin.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to make a connection. The arthritis is why I was taking cocodomol which negated the diarrhea effects of Metformin. As for the cause of Arthritis, that's a tricky one. The GP who first diagnosed arthritis called it osteo-rheumatoid arthritis and I thought he was just covering his bets. The consultant at Wycombe Hospital who I saw first asked almost straight away if I had played rugby, badmington/squash or jogged, so he got 3 out of 3, very perceptive but definitely leaning towards osteoarthritis. Having said that he did say that there is a rheumatoid element to osteoarthritis which weakens the cartilage before starting to wear more quickly than normal.

I believe that type II was being redefined as an autoimmune disease rather than purely metabolic as far back as 2011. Researchers believe that insulin resistance is the result of B cells and other immune cells attacking the body's own tissues. Maybe there's a connection between my old knees and diabetes. Knees now replaced at my expense because the NHS said I was too fat, thanks to Rosiglitazone and Citilapram, and too young, and warranted for 30 years.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
22yrs off and on but started on London trials for pcos not diabetes. Then after failed IVF I stopped taking as didn't want to take as part of fertility resolution.
Was restarted for diagnosed diabetes and then stopped when first pregnant. Then continued til 3yrs ago when it stopped working alongside all over meds. Started insulin therapy and returned to metformin early last year.
I still stop occasionally if upset tummy or like this week of iodine dye in angiogram procedure.
I'm convinced metformin resolved my infertility and the missing 99% of periods.
My tummy fat is softer when I'm using metformin. Stools too. Making it easier to lose weight.
Menstrual cycle perfect now and a scan recently showed very little pcos due to metformin use. :) :) :)

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I have lowered kidney function when I asked him about the risk metformin would pose for further damage my GP assured me that at the low dosage I was on 500 mg per day the risk was minimal.

Sorry should add my liver function is fine have it tested every three months as am taking imuran.

Thyroiddiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have lowered kidney function when I asked him about the risk metformin would pose for further damage my GP assured me that at the low dosage I was on 500 mg per day the risk was minimal.

Sorry should add my liver function is fine have it tested every three months as am taking imuran.
John is 500 mg of metformin of any benifit in such a small dose.I don't know just asking.Does it affect you blood sugar numbers.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
To be honest I am no longer strictly taking it to control my blood sugars but as an aid to suppression of apatite that dosage it does little to control BG. When I reduced my Ac1 to 38 I was initially taken off them and GP only agreed to put me back on as an aid to control apatite.

Thyroiddiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
To be honest I am no longer strictly taking it to control my blood sugars but as an aid to suppression of apatite that dosage it does little to control BG. When I reduced my Ac1 to 38 I was initially taken off them and GP only agreed to put me back on as an aid to control apatite.
Works very well at doing that.My hba1c was 5.4 and that's eating biscuits and chocolates.So maybe I will do the same on a stricter diet.
I bought some banting muffins and cookies very low carb a bit high fat so will change to that. will talk to the doctor.If I stopmetformin my stomach swells abit.I think it blocks quite a lot of carbs too.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
My none diabetic sister was offered metformin as an appetite suppressant but side affects put her off. Oh and paying for prescription.