After Hysterectomy

Wendy12504

Hi all
I haven't posted very much on the forum before, but I need some help.
I had a total hysterectomy 3 months ago and thought I was recovering well, but despite taking maximum dose of Metformin, Gliclazide and injecting with Humulin twice a day my fasting sugar has gone up from an OK 6-7 to 12-15. I've been gradually taking out the carbs (still can't quite give up bread), eating healthily and building up the amount of exercise I do (although this has been limited to walking and swimming since undergoing the op). The increase coincided with going back to work part time so stress could be a factor. Increasing the amount of insulin however, just doesn't seem to fix it and I can't work out why - I've been injecting more and more and the fasting rate just won't budge. My diabetes nurse promised a call back 3 weeks ago and I'm still waiting, can't get another appointment until next week so getting really frustrated.

Has anybody else noticed an after-effect on sugar levels after hysterectomy? Could changing hormone levels really have this effect?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all
I haven't posted very much on the forum before, but I need some help.
I had a total hysterectomy 3 months ago and thought I was recovering well, but despite taking maximum dose of Metformin, Gliclazide and injecting with Humulin twice a day my fasting sugar has gone up from an OK 6-7 to 12-15. I've been gradually taking out the carbs (still can't quite give up bread), eating healthily and building up the amount of exercise I do (although this has been limited to walking and swimming since undergoing the op). The increase coincided with going back to work part time so stress could be a factor. Increasing the amount of insulin however, just doesn't seem to fix it and I can't work out why - I've been injecting more and more and the fasting rate just won't budge. My diabetes nurse promised a call back 3 weeks ago and I'm still waiting, can't get another appointment until next week so getting really frustrated.

Has anybody else noticed an after-effect on sugar levels after hysterectomy? Could changing hormone levels really have this effect?

Hi Wendy - Sorry you're having such a tough time at the moment.

My hysterectomy was years before my diagnosis, so I can't comment on that, but others might find it helpful to know what type of diabetes you have, as your profile doesn't help out there. I'm sort of assuming as you're taking Gliclazide you you're probably T2?

Around the time of your hysterectomy, did you change anything else, like your way of eating, less exercise or anything? As you had a total hysterectomy, have you started or changed any HRT since your OP?

As I say my hysterectomy was well before my diagnosis, but I was exceptionally well afterwards, and was back driving and daily swimming at 4 weeks, post-op, having been walking in under a week (much to my Mother's astonishment, as she thought I should be lounging back with the regular vapours!), and bounding with energy.

Hopefully someone more helpful than me will be along shortly.

Moosepig

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes, people who think they know everything!
hi Wendy, I too had a total hysterectomy years before diagnosis but I'm wondering if you are on hrt, if that is affecting your levels. I've never managed to figure out whether it affects my BG but as it seems to affect my general wellbeing I would imagine my levels are affected too. Sorry this isn't any help but sometimes there's comfort in camaraderie.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you done any carb counting?
I use the Lidl protein rolls for when I just have to have a beefburger or want a sandwich, but all sugars and starches in foods over 10 percent carbs are either gone or very restricted in my diet.
I have normal blood glucose readings these days.
As the inulin is not having the desired effect perhaps it is insulin resistance you are struggling with.
Do you know positively that you are not making your own insulin?