Do they know male diabetics can have low testoterone?

Should Type 2 diabetic males be routinely tested on diagnosis for serum testosterone ?

• Yes

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters

Beefeater

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can somebody tell me why having diabetes, total erectile dysfunction, no libido, depression, mood swings, weakness, fatigue and brain fog does not warrant a Serum Testosterone test by my GP's for the past three years, because I have never been recommended for one with these ongoing symptoms.

I have read in a daily mail article that low testosterone levels can actually help increase insulin in male pre-diabetes.

How is it that they throw HRT at post menopausal women, but leave men to get on with it ?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Type 2
LCHF diet two months
Hb1Ac 43. March 2017 before diet
Metaformin 2x 500mg twice daily
Ramipril 1x 30mg daily
Arcoxib 1x 120mg daily
Atorvastatin 1x 10mg daily

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can somebody tell me why having diabetes, total erectile dysfunction, no libido, depression, mood swings, weakness, fatigue and brain fog does not warrant a Serum Testosterone test by my GP's for the past three years, because I have never been recommended for one with these ongoing symptoms.

I have read in a daily mail article that low testosterone levels can actually help increase insulin in male pre-diabetes.

How is it that they throw HRT at post menopausal women, but leave men to get on with it ?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Type 2
LCHF diet two months
Ramipril 1x 30mg daily
Arcoxib 1x 120mg daily

Hi,

I notice you mention "Atorvastatin" in a list of meds below yor post?
You also mentioned "brain fog"...

Do a search on here regarding statins & BF?
Interesting observations from other forum members experiences linking the two, crop up from time to time...

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers

Best ask your GP, I do know someone (non diabetic) who had a test for testosterone because as someone who worked out a lot he couldn't understand man boobs, low libido, weight gain.

If your GP is actually refusing the test, you could always pay for test, but I think they tend to be expensive, I did see one at £120 but I didn't shop around.

Reactions: Beefeater

Beefeater

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Unfortunately I had brain fog before I was started on statins and before I was diagnosed as diabetic. I will be seeing a GP on Wednesday and be asking for a serum testosterone test, but I feel intimidated about asking for it because you always have at the back of your mind that they would have suggested it if necessary.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I will be seeing a GP on Wednesday and be asking for a serum testosterone test, but I feel intimidated about asking for it because you always have at the back of your mind that they would have suggested it if necessary.

You have very concisely listed your symptoms which may or may not be diabetes related. Testosterone levels do start to decline in your 40s which isn't good if levels started low.

I don't know if you have discussed all the symptoms with your GP but may I suggest having a look at this: https://www.pharmacy2u.co.uk/onlinedoctor/testosterone.html. They talk about tests costing about £26 and they also mention HRT for men.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Unfortunately I had brain fog before I was started on statins and before I was diagnosed as diabetic. I will be seeing a GP on Wednesday and be asking for a serum testosterone test, but I feel intimidated about asking for it because you always have at the back of your mind that they would have suggested it if necessary.
They are human and it could have crossed their mind but got side tracked? Ask. You'll soon know.

ann34+

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
if you were on Ramipril long term, google the symptoms, and look in your medication leaflet, fatigue is certainly one common symptom, as are a whole load of others, also do you have regular blood tests while on ramipril to check for electrolyte imbalances? I was very unwell on an ACE. Arcoxib also has a lot of warnings, including for fatigue and dizziness - maybe discuss all meds with a doctor?
P.S. HRT is not considered a good option nowadays other than very temporarily, for older women, in my experience

Last edited:

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
P.S. HRT is not considered a good option nowadays other than very temporarily, for older women, in my experience

My wife has been on HRT forl years, the hormonal changes having reached that age (50s) were quite serious in that she couldn't function mentally, the menopause was making a huge difference to her behaviour as well. She and her GP were well aware of the risks and took those into account when prescribing HRT.

HRT for men by it's very nature is going to be different to HRT for ladies.

Edit: Just a small update that I thought was interesting after my wife reminded me that she's been on HRT for 6 years, she recently tried to wean herself off but the symptoms returned, so still taking them.

She had a wellwoman examination last year where the doctor mentioned that she had ladies of 80 still taking HRT (HRT goes back to 1966) and that with smaller doses these days the risks are much lower than previously.

Last edited:

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi, what are your current bg levels like as most of the symptoms you mention ie "total erectile dysfunction, no libido, weakness, fatigue and brain fog" are often accompanied by very high bg levels.

If your levels are not high then, sorry, I dont have an answer but thought I would throw that in here as the above were the exact symptoms I suffered at diagnosis, well shortly after and as soon as I was put on insulin in hospital and my levels dropped fairly quickly they all disappeared almost over night.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Also while your at it ask for a thyroid function test.

Every one of the symptoms you have suggests thyroid problems

al_leister

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Greedy Humans.....greedy animals I don't mind. I do like meat and fish but choose not to eat it!

Type 2
LCHF diet two months
Ramipril 1x 30mg daily
Arcoxib 1x 120mg daily
Complete this questionnaire, print and take to your GP. If the score confirms your suspicion, demand the test! though the NHS queue for tests may be longer than you are prepared to wait.

http://www.testosteronedeficiency.org/self-test-questionnaire/test

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Testosterone is created from cholesterol, so statins can reduce testosterone levels. Statins also cause brain fog and numerous other side effects. Statins also have no benefits for increased life expectancy unless you have already had a heart attack. Statins also raise blood sugar and can cause people to get type 2 diabetes.

So, I suggest dropping the statins to see if this solves the problem. Google "Statin testosterone" and you will see many articles on statins lowering testosterone.

ann34+

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My wife has been on HRT forl years, the hormonal changes having reached that age (50s) were quite serious in that she couldn't function mentally, the menopause was making a huge difference to her behaviour as well. She and her GP were well aware of the risks and took those into account when prescribing HRT.

HRT for men by it's very nature is going to be different to HRT for ladies.

Edit: Just a small update that I thought was interesting after my wife reminded me that she's been on HRT for 6 years, she recently tried to wean herself off but the symptoms returned, so still taking them.

She had a wellwoman examination last year where the doctor mentioned that she had ladies of 80 still taking HRT (HRT goes back to 1966) and that with smaller doses these days the risks are much lower than previously.

Sorry, i did not mean to say it could not be a good option for some women, just that now more GPs did not consider it to be, other than temporarily, and they are often not keen to prescribe for years - i.e. over 60 and onwards. of course, it should be an individual decision, given the pluses and minuses, and history, it sounds as if your wife does very well on it, and has a good GP.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Sorry, i did not mean to say it could not be a good option for some women

No worries, my wife was amazed to hear that some ladies are on HRT at 80. As you say, it's not for everyone, my wife has been lucky, I have a relative who has had to grin and bare it (not prescribed HRT) because of breast cancer in their immediate family. Not an easy call for some.