Some help please..

Jen92'

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, hoping maybe someone could help.
For the past few weeks I have been have more hypos then on Sunday I feel like I had hypo symptoms all day then by bed time my levels were dropping so quickly and I was being sick that despite lucozade they kept falling until I eventually got them back to 4mmols.
Now since then I feel like I am constant battling against going hypo, blood sugars not going to low but they seem to be dropping really quickly which I assume is giving me the symptoms.
So after that big ramble I have dropped Lantus from 29 to 26units with no difference and wondering if anyone has any other suggestions ? TIA

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, hoping maybe someone could help.
For the past few weeks I have been have more hypos then on Sunday I feel like I had hypo symptoms all day then by bed time my levels were dropping so quickly and I was being sick that despite lucozade they kept falling until I eventually got them back to 4mmols.
Now since then I feel like I am constant battling against going hypo, blood sugars not going to low but they seem to be dropping really quickly which I assume is giving me the symptoms.
So after that big ramble I have dropped Lantus from 29 to 26units with no difference and wondering if anyone has any other suggestions ? TIA

Can you tell us a bit more about when you're going low? Also, can you roughly advise us on what you eat in a normal day, when and how you dose for it?

Are you more active than usual of late?

Last edited:

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
The other question is how long have you been diagnosed?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi @Jen92'

Try dropping your lantus further, some of us type 1's find when the weather gets warmer our basal needs decrease, if you basal test and get the dosage right but still have hypo's then look at your insulin-to-carb ratio's.

Reactions: Dodo

Jen92'

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I am just coming up to a year since diagnosis.
I eat a suppose a normal healthy diet not low carb etc, and carb count, 1:10, 1:15 and 1:20 breakfast lunch then dinner.
I am going low all day no particular times I have tried changing up my ration for example 60g carbs for lunch and took 3unit which brought me from 7.8 to 4.6 within 1hour. However even during a fasting period with no active insulin I and just constantly dropping. Feel freezing cold and sick and just off which are my usual hypo symptoms.
I feel at a loss as usually really well controlled and never really have full on hypo as usually catch them in advance and treat.
So grateful for any advice.

Jen92'

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Jen92'

Try dropping your lantus further, some of us type 1's find when the weather gets warmer our basal needs decrease, if you basal test and get the dosage right but still have hypo's then look at your insulin-to-carb ratio's.

Thank you, I will try dropping it further tonight, obviously concerned it starting going in the opposite direction. Am I right in saying it can take a few days to notice a change from lantus?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thank you, I will try dropping it further tonight, obviously concerned it starting going in the opposite direction. Am I right in saying it can take a few days to notice a change from lantus?

Supposedly 3 days according to the manufacturers, but I found the changes were noticeable sooner when I was injecting lantus.

Reactions: Dodo and Sibyl

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does your Lantus come in vials or pens? And is it brand name Lantus or generic Basaglar?. Because Basaglar only comes in pens, and can be double strength (200U/cc) or regular strength (100U/cc). Supposedly you still dial 25 units and it gives you that amount in half the volume.

Jen92'

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does your Lantus come in vials or pens? And is it brand name Lantus or generic Basaglar?. Because Basaglar only comes in pens, and can be double strength (200U/cc) or regular strength (100U/cc). Supposedly you still dial 25 units and it gives you that amount in half the volume.

It is a lantus solo star pen 100u/ml ?

Jen92'

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Supposedly 3 days according to the manufacturers, but I found the changes were noticeable sooner when I was injecting lantus.

Spoke with DSN they suggest dropping to 24unit tonight as they think it is possibly honeymoon period however I didn't think this couldn't happen this long after diagnosis possibly I am just misinformed. Thanks

D

Deleted Account

How different are your Saturday activities to any other day of the week? For example, are you more active such as going for a long bike ride or run or walk or maybe you have a few drinks on Saturday night after some "boogeying" at your local club?
Drinking and exercise can result in BG drops the next day. One way to avoid this is to reduce your Lantus on Saturday.

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It is a lantus solo star pen 100u/ml ?
If this rather sudden change in sugar control happened to coincide with the use of a new Lantus pen, or Novorapid pen I'd consider switching to a different pen and see if the hypo problem resolves. I doubt you're in a "honeymoon" phase at this point.

Jen92'

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How different are your Saturday activities to any other day of the week? For example, are you more active such as going for a long bike ride or run or walk or maybe you have a few drinks on Saturday night after some "boogeying" at your local club?
Drinking and exercise can result in BG drops the next day. One way to avoid this is to reduce your Lantus on Saturday.

I think that may be why I'm so confused because Saturday was a real lazy day, and I do t drink due to a history of pancreatitis so unfortunately no exciting reason for the low lol

Jen92'

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If this rather sudden change in sugar control happened to coincide with the use of a new Lantus pen, or Novorapid pen I'd consider switching to a different pen and see if the hypo problem resolves. I doubt you're in a "honeymoon" phase at this point.

Thank you for your advice, they are not new pens but i will switch to new pens just incase. Yes I am doubtful also but they cannot seem to come to any reasoning behind the sudden changes at all. Thanks again