Basal insulin and hypo

Jen92'

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Quick question please, would you give basal insulin (lantus) if you were going low currently 3.9mmols (have treated) or would you wait a few hours, scared to inject and make hypo worse. TIA

Reactions: Juicyj

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I would treat the hypo then if it was time for my basal I would take it as basal has a different action to bolus and will not act immediately.

Jen92'

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would treat the hypo then if it was time for my basal I would take it as basal has a different action to bolus and will not act immediately.

Great thanks that's what I thought just wanted some others opinions.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Have your hypo been better since the weekend?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Jen92' Good advice from @Diakat - treat your hypo first then take your basal, hypos can make the simplest of tasks confusing so get yourself sorted first then take your basal, it won't affect your hypo as stated its a different action. However an important question to ask is why did you go low ? Always good to know why you went low ;)

TeamHard2017

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Quick question please, would you give basal insulin (lantus) if you were going low currently 3.9mmols (have treated) or would you wait a few hours, scared to inject and make hypo worse. TIA

You long acting insulin shouldn't affect your blood sugar

Jen92'

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have your hypo been better since the weekend?

Unfortunately not, I have literally been fighting off hypos continually despite drastically reducing my insulin, for example over treated before dinner and was 12.2mmols ate 30g carbs and was back to 5.4mmols within an hour and kept dropping since. DSN is thinking honeymoon which I was doubtful of since diagnosed 1 year ago but it seems to be my only reasoning.

Thank you all for your advice really helping me through this mad phase!

Jen92'

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Unfortunately not, I have literally been fighting off hypos continually despite drastically reducing my insulin, for example over treated before dinner and was 12.2mmols ate 30g carbs and was back to 5.4mmols within an hour and kept dropping since. DSN is thinking honeymoon which I was doubtful of since diagnosed 1 year ago but it seems to be my only reasoning.

Thank you all for your advice really helping me through this mad phase!

Meant to add only took 1unit at dinner which brought me down that much!

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Try to speak to your DSN again today. We do all sometimes have odd things happen with our levels.