Neuropathy - fingers, hands, wrists and forearms

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
The circulatory system is affected by Diabetes Type 2 and described as causing 'poor venous return'
but most of all with the term Neuropathy.

Because I suffer from Congestive Heart Failure and kidney disease - it is SOMETIMES difficult to know
what illness is responsible for what ailment.

Some while ago on this Forum I saw mention of pain in fingers, hands, wrists and forearms and the term
Neuropathy (I think) was used in this respect. If only I had known that, in a very few months, I would
be at the mercy of this condition which is affecting my life more than I could have imagined.

It started with cramping of the hands caused when holding the handlebars of my motorcycle for too long
or too tightly. I would have to get off and walk around swinging my arms to improve the circulation and
I would be ok after that - or so I thought. Second symptom manifested itself when holding a book or
Android for too long again resulting all fingers clasping together as one. Got used to dealing with that
but then realised that I was dropping objects from my hands - not heavy such as a kettle, etc., but
insignificant items - just paper on occasions - my hands were not using the autonomic system anymore.
No - not a brain problem but the best way I can describe this.

But all of this has quickly progressed to sharp and sometimes very severe pain some two or three
inches above the wrists and now in the centre of the forearms. These symptoms appear to have become
permanent. My greatest sadness is that is has stopped my proficiency with the piano which I so much
enjoyed.

I would very much like to hear from members who can identify with these symptoms but, more importantly,
what remedial treatment do they receive, if any, and how successful it has been.

Debzz_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes ha ha
Hi Rob - I am sorry to see your struggles - I was diagnosed with carpal Tunnel in both my hands around 6 months before I was diagnosed with being T2 . A year before I had visited my GP as I had trouble with my feet - I was just fobbed off with that !
The trouble with my feet has increased and I now have a referral for some neuropathy tests. I had an operation booked for carpal Tunnel relief but this is on hold .
Some days I can't grip much at all and drop things all the time .
I find keeping my hands warm is a necessity and I do some Tai Chi excercises which helps .
Best wishes

greybags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Have been suffering the very similar problems and pain and paralysis in my fingers and arm.. After lots of test at hospital, turns out its a nerve problem in my elbow.. Just waiting for an operation to correct the problem in the arm, and they will do the carpal tunnel op in the wrist at the same time.. A sort of buy one get one free..
They think i will get back all the movement, but probably not all the strength, but will be pain fred..

NinaB73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I suffer from something called diabetic cheiroarthropathy, which effects my joints in my fingers causing pain and locking, sometimes triggering. I am being treated with steroid injections at the moment but I can relate to what you are saying as at times I feel numbness and weakness when holding things sometimes the telephone (particularly if my mother is on the phone!) Joking aside it is not pleasant and I have to switch hands and I often awake in the night with a fuzzy hand. I think you should seek some advise from your G.P and maybe ask for a referral as it is really affecting your life! As others have said they also suffer from carpal tunnel syndrome and I guess the point I am trying to make is that there are many reasons that you could be experiencing these problems and often some form of treatment to at least alleviate your symptoms.

Reactions: DiabeticDadUK

AlaskaRon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not Having Pizza!
The circulatory system is affected by Diabetes Type 2 and described as causing 'poor venous return'

Because I suffer from Congestive Heart Failure and kidney disease - it is SOMETIMES difficult to know

Some while ago on this Forum I saw mention of pain in fingers, hands, wrists and forearms and the term
Neuropathy (I think) was used in this respect. If only I had known that, in a very few months, I would
be at the mercy of this condition which is affecting my life more than I could have imagined.

It started with cramping of the hands caused when holding the handlebars of my motorcycle for too long
or too tightly. I would have to get off and walk around swinging my arms to improve the circulation and
I would be ok after that - or so I thought. Second symptom manifested itself when holding a book or
Android for too long again resulting all fingers clasping together as one. Got used to dealing with that
but then realised that I was dropping objects from my hands - not heavy such as a kettle, etc., but
insignificant items - just paper on occasions - my hands were not using the autonomic system anymore.

But all of this has quickly progressed to sharp and sometimes very severe pain some two or three
inches above the wrists and now in the centre of the forearms. These symptoms appear to have become
permanent. My greatest sadness is that is has stopped my proficiency with the piano which I so much
enjoyed.

I would very much like to hear from members who can identify with these symptoms but, more importantly,
what remedial treatment do they receive, if any, and how successful it has been.

I have Neuropathy, it is in my feet and half way up my shins. I had terrible burning and both of my feet and shins are numb. The pain would be so bad at night that I had trouble sleeping. my doctor has me on Gabapentin 600mg 3 times a day and Celecoxib 200mg 3 pills at night (this drug makes you sleepy). this has helped a lot but still have some pain and the numbness is still there and will always be. I do still have some burning in my feet but it is tolerable now.

it can be hereditary so you will want to make sure if you have kids they are aware of it so they can keep an eye out for any symptoms and make sure there doctor is aware of this. My sister has it and it has spread throughout her whole body. she is on a high dose of morphine to try to control the pain but that still doesn't help sometimes. not trying to scare you just want you to be aware that it is serous and not something to ignore.

my understanding is that there is no cure for it. Mine was caused by my diabetes and now that I have that under control it will hopefully stop spreading.

Reactions: Freema

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @BaliRob

Your pains sound very bad and disabling and I'm sorry to hear that.

I have neuropathy in my feet. Not diabetes related, but caused 4 years ago by chemotherapy. (a well known and common side effect). On the advice of people on this forum I started taking Alpha Lipoic Acid tablets. Bingo! They have worked. The pins and needles and burning have all gone. It is a miracle and I hope they never come back. My neuropathy was nowhere near as bad as yours and wasn't much of a problem, but something I cold have done without. I bought mine from Natures Best https://www.naturesbest.co.uk/alpha.../?SRC=GOMOBA&gclid=CNeZ8ZCX0tMCFUFAGwodgGcEoQ

There is plenty of information about it on the internet, and quite a few threads on the forum if you do a search.

JenniB

Type of diabetes
Type 2

enjoyed.

JenniB

Type of diabetes
Type 2

enjoyed.

JenniB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi IO am new to T2 and have had problems with pain in hands and dropping stuff - lounge carpet is covered in tea and coffee stains! I have pain when driving or typing - any use of hands causes pain. However someone told me to wear 100% leather gloves when driving and this has given me around 80% relief - I have just started wearing them around the house and looking for thinner ones for typing etc - it works for me but I obviously cannot comment on whether it would help any one else - given the cost - perhaps borrow some and try before spending. Good luck all.

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
I am deeply indebted to the following members:-
@ Debzz Carpal Tunnel Syndrome - recommends keeping hands warm
@ greybags Trapped nerve (?) in elbow
@ NinaB73 Finger triggering
@ AlaskaRon Neuropathy taking Gabapentin & Celecoxib
@ Bluetit1802 Neuropathy treated successfully with Alpha Lipoic Acid tablets from Nature's Best
@ JenniB Pains in her hands and dropping things - relieved by using leather gloves and keeping hands warm

There is more than enough to keep in mind if my condition worsens. In two cases - keeping hands warm is a new idea
I think, and may help many others trying this. The trapped nerve seems to be a candidate for a 100% cure. Now, how
funny, I also suffered for a year or so with finger triggering which disappeared without me noticing - I had completely
forgotten I had had it hahaha. I do not want to have to use AlaskaRon's tablets because I rattle enough already and there
is bound to be a contra-indication but nevertheless more arrows in my quill if I become totally disabled by Neuropathy.
The suggestion I like the best though (because I may be able to afford them) is Bluetit1802's very helpful suggestions
to try Alpha Lipoic Acid tablets from Nature's Best.

Part and parcel of the whole ailments described in this thread - are Nocturnal Leg Cramps - I have virtually conquered
this debilitating condition WITHOUT QUININE and would be happy to help by pm any member who cannot find
the copious entries from me on the subject - I can promise to alleviate their pain.

Sorry to be late with my response but not too well in the stifling heat of Bali at the moment - thank you all.

Rob

Reactions: Bluetit1802

iklpixi

Morning everyone.....I've had T1 for 26 years now, have proliferative retinopathy for which both eyes have been blasted with laser. Latest thing related to T1 is a (kind of) diagnosis of Diabetic Cheiroarthropathy, been to GP and Rheumatologist neither of which have given me a definitive diagnosis but both agree with me when I say I think that's what it is!
Over past few years I've had 3 steroid in injections in different fingers to treat triggering. All were successful in stopping the triggering. For last 6 months or so both middle fingers on each hand have been progressively more contracted. My hands are in constant pain right up each middle finger and on my palm at the base of middle fingers. In the morning the pain isn't too bad and my fingers, whilst never straight anymore, are not too contracted. However as day goes on both pain and contracting get worse. I'm on Naproxen for this and am waiting for an appointment at the pain clinic to come through. Have been to Occupational therapy who've given me pressure gloves and therapeutic putty, this does help but very fleetingly, sometimes when I take gloves off the pain is worse, but they definitely help when driving. I don't like the idea of staying on Naproxen forever, which is basically what they're saying I may need. They kill my stomach, so I also have to take Lansoprazol. Plus the report that came out the other day saying Naproxen and Ibuprofen increase risk of heart attack, worries me sick, especially on top of increased risk with T1!! Anyway the Naproxen don't even work, only take the edge of the pain.
Sorry for huge post, just wanted to share and see if anyone else has similar experiences. I wonder if this Alpha Lipoic Acid might help??

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Morning everyone.....I've had T1 for 26 years now, have proliferative retinopathy for which both eyes have been blasted with laser. Latest thing related to T1 is a (kind of) diagnosis of Diabetic Cheiroarthropathy, been to GP and Rheumatologist neither of which have given me a definitive diagnosis but both agree with me when I say I think that's what it is!
Over past few years I've had 3 steroid in injections in different fingers to treat triggering. All were successful in stopping the triggering. For last 6 months or so both middle fingers on each hand have been progressively more contracted. My hands are in constant pain right up each middle finger and on my palm at the base of middle fingers. In the morning the pain isn't too bad and my fingers, whilst never straight anymore, are not too contracted. However as day goes on both pain and contracting get worse. I'm on Naproxen for this and am waiting for an appointment at the pain clinic to come through. Have been to Occupational therapy who've given me pressure gloves and therapeutic putty, this does help but very fleetingly, sometimes when I take gloves off the pain is worse, but they definitely help when driving. I don't like the idea of staying on Naproxen forever, which is basically what they're saying I may need. They kill my stomach, so I also have to take Lansoprazol. Plus the report that came out the other day saying Naproxen and Ibuprofen increase risk of heart attack, worries me sick, especially on top of increased risk with T1!! Anyway the Naproxen don't even work, only take the edge of the pain.
Sorry for huge post, just wanted to share and see if anyone else has similar experiences. I wonder if this Alpha Lipoic Acid might help??
@iklpixi
Never ever apologise for tendering a long post. Every line that you wrote had value and interest to most of us and you contributed a variation in depth on this subject which, for myself, had never seen before.

Reactions: iklpixi