Life with Libre

Brava210

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not Moaning
Thing is I used to be on a pump and had the same reaction to canulas on occasions. It's always from hitting a vessel. As it bleeds after removing it. Very expensive hobby this.......

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been popping in reading this thread now and again, just read the last few pages. I started using the Libre about a year and a half ago, And can be best described as a love hate relationship - it was great to start with, pretty much spot on, learnt so much - after about my 3rd or 4th I started to get a slight reaction to it, it quickly got worse, I tried various barrier methods, gave it a break for a while etc. During this time Abbot replaced all sensors even when I said the sensor isn't faulty it's just come unstuck due to my reaction to the adhesive.
When I was having a reaction to the device it's accuracy was abysmal - not surprising as it would become loose, anything I stuck over it to hold it in place also lost it's stickiness because the 'wound' would weeps extensively, I tried placing it on my thigh to see if that was any better, for the first few days it was great, no reaction and was spot on, about 5-6 days in it suddenly became mighty itchy and red, I had to take it off, months later I still have a round red blemish where it was.
@deborabaratto mentioned a slight rash, I have recently tried again with the Libre, 9 days in it is accurate, and it's not itching, and at the mo it's not weeping either! Piriton seems to be my answer to the problem - if I stop taking it I can feel it start to flare up - we had a bottle of it already which ran out, a day or 2 without it and it started reacting, new bottle purchased and taking 5ml 3 times a day seemed to have settled it back down and the over plaster to help keep it attached is holding fine.

Too long to read? Basically Piriton helped me against the dreaded reaction!

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
I've just applied my 2nd sensor as my 1st has just started to warn of its 24 hour demise.

I managed to hit a vein, so I'm glad of everyone's warnings or I might have worried (I'm surprised there isn't a note in the instructions or the website). Only a little blood. Hope this proves to be a good one!

Edit: I've just realised applying this sensor didn't hurt - I complained that the 1st ached for a couple of hours as if I'd been vaccinated, but despite the bleed, I didn't feel a thing this time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ultramum

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've just applied my 2nd sensor as my 1st has just started to warn of its 24 hour demise.

I managed to hit a vein, so I'm glad of everyone's warnings or I might have worried (I'm surprised there isn't a note in the instructions or the website). Only a little blood. Hope this proves to be a good one!

Edit: I've just realised applying this sensor didn't hurt - I complained that the 1st ached for a couple of hours as if I'd been vaccinated, but despite the bleed, I didn't feel a thing this time.
I've started giving mine 2 days pre activation. I found it quite sad watching the first one count down.

JacquiMorrison

Type of diabetes
Type 1
To get the Daily Patterns graph in librelink, tap the menu button at the top left and click Daily Patterns. Don't use librelink, but it looks like the pic below on the reader software. That's mine for the three months to December. Unlike the daily graphs which show just a single day, it overlays 90 days on one graph to see recurring patterns, and then if there are areas of concern, the daily graphs can be looked at for more detail. Librelink allows you to create a graph for 7, 14, 30 and 90 day periods. The reader software will do it for any period.

View attachment 22400

Wow - is this from a type 1 diabetic's day? If so please advise how this is possible mines spikes around 2 times a day and it's a nightmare to keep it even for more than a couple of hours

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Wow - is this from a type 1 diabetic's day? If so please advise how this is possible mines spikes around 2 times a day and it's a nightmare to keep it even for more than a couple of hours

Yes, it's mine, a T1 30 yr trooper, for three months to December 2016. I've not photoshopped it, honest!

Thing to remember is that the graph doesn't reflect every day. It's an overlay of how most days work out on average.

Within those 3 months, I had some seriously out of range days where the usual rules just didn't work. Day to day, I tended to focus on those, got a bit wound up about those, but then looking back at the whole history, I realised those episodes were few and far between, and that generally I'm normally running ok.

You've mentioned spikes. You're panicking a bit about those. We all get those. It's normal to worry about them. But like mods have said here, it's a marathon, not a sprint: the spikes don't matter that much in the long run as long as you're generally in range most of the time.

Reactions: JacquiMorrison

JacquiMorrison

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yes, it's mine, a T1 30 yr trooper, for three months to December 2016. I've not photoshopped it, honest!

Thing to remember is that the graph doesn't reflect every day. It's an overlay of how most days work out on average.

Within those 3 months, I had some seriously out of range days where the usual rules just didn't work. Day to day, I tended to focus on those, got a bit wound up about those, but then looking back at the whole history, I realised those episodes were few and far between, and that generally I'm normally running ok.

You've mentioned spikes. You're panicking a bit about those. We all get those. It's normal to worry about them. But like mods have said here, it's a marathon, not a sprint: the spikes don't matter that much in the long run as long as you're generally in range most of the time.

Thank you, put my mind at ease a bit. I've learned to take it an hour at a time and I think that helps me manage more. Very proud of you and your results are beautiful

Reactions: maglil55

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can't believe that it's time again tomorrow to put the next Libre on so it gets its 2 day rest before activation. The 2 week periods seem to be going quicker. This one has been excellent - constantly either spot on or 0.1 under.

mariposa84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have been popping in reading this thread now and again, just read the last few pages. I started using the Libre about a year and a half ago, And can be best described as a love hate relationship - it was great to start with, pretty much spot on, learnt so much - after about my 3rd or 4th I started to get a slight reaction to it, it quickly got worse, I tried various barrier methods, gave it a break for a while etc. During this time Abbot replaced all sensors even when I said the sensor isn't faulty it's just come unstuck due to my reaction to the adhesive.
When I was having a reaction to the device it's accuracy was abysmal - not surprising as it would become loose, anything I stuck over it to hold it in place also lost it's stickiness because the 'wound' would weeps extensively, I tried placing it on my thigh to see if that was any better, for the first few days it was great, no reaction and was spot on, about 5-6 days in it suddenly became mighty itchy and red, I had to take it off, months later I still have a round red blemish where it was.
@deborabaratto mentioned a slight rash, I have recently tried again with the Libre, 9 days in it is accurate, and it's not itching, and at the mo it's not weeping either! Piriton seems to be my answer to the problem - if I stop taking it I can feel it start to flare up - we had a bottle of it already which ran out, a day or 2 without it and it started reacting, new bottle purchased and taking 5ml 3 times a day seemed to have settled it back down and the over plaster to help keep it attached is holding fine.

Too long to read? Basically Piriton helped me against the dreaded reaction!

Hi @slip

Have just read your useful post above. I think I might beginning to react to the sensors like you and wondered if Piriton might help me. When you took 5ml doses did the Piriton make you feel drowsy at all,

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @slip

Have just read your useful post above. I think I might beginning to react to the sensors like you and wondered if Piriton might help me. When you took 5ml doses did the Piriton make you feel drowsy at all,

Not that I noticed ;)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Was getting changed at swimming today when the lady opposite said it was nice to see someone else wearing a Libre. She explained her 16 year old daughter had been using them but had entered a 'rebelling against' diabetes phase so she was having to finger stab her again at night. Had a nice chat about the pros and cons of Libre and she was telling me her GP had said that they should get approved on the NHS soon. Anyone else heard this?

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Was getting changed at swimming today when the lady opposite said it was nice to see someone else wearing a Libre. She explained her 16 year old daughter had been using them but had entered a 'rebelling against' diabetes phase so she was having to finger stab her again at night. Had a nice chat about the pros and cons of Libre and she was telling me her GP had said that they should get approved on the NHS soon. Anyone else heard this?

Hi, maglil, good to see you're "sticking with it", so to speak!

Abbott are actively pursuing getting it on the NHS. There's a post on their site from February indicating the state of play - application for NHS listing lodged and pending:
https://freestylediabetes.co.uk/freestyle-thinking/post/FreeStyle-libre-NHS

It says that it's for people on insulin only, so akin to the current state of play with strips - T2s not on insulin will probably have to still buy or be very persuasive with their GP.

There was a post a week or two back, can't remember the poster's name, who said it's just been approved in France, but a dodgy google translation of the government announcement he linked to suggested that in turn for getting it sub'd by their version of the NHS, test strips would be limited to an astonishingly low 100 strips per year. Although there was also some stuff about exceptions for clinical need, but it still sounded a lot like, yeah, sure, we'll do you the libre if you want it, or strips, but not both.

Obviously just applies to France, but it's interesting watching it to get some clues about how it might play out with the politicos here.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, maglil, good to see you're "sticking with it", so to speak!

Abbott are actively pursuing getting it on the NHS. There's a post on their site from February indicating the state of play - application for NHS listing lodged and pending:
https://freestylediabetes.co.uk/freestyle-thinking/post/FreeStyle-libre-NHS

It says that it's for people on insulin only, so akin to the current state of play with strips - T2s not on insulin will probably have to still buy or be very persuasive with their GP.

There was a post a week or two back, can't remember the poster's name, who said it's just been approved in France, but a dodgy google translation of the government announcement he linked to suggested that in turn for getting it sub'd by their version of the NHS, test strips would be limited to an astonishingly low 100 strips per year. Although there was also some stuff about exceptions for clinical need, but it still sounded a lot like, yeah, sure, we'll do you the libre if you want it, or strips, but not both.

Obviously just applies to France, but it's interesting watching it to get some clues about how it might play out with the politicos here.
Thanks for that Scott. Looks like I be buying them for a while as I'm non insulin dependent - unless they offer to restrict the strips then I'd have to work out what is best. Hubby has offered to buy me my next 3 which I won't refuse! To be honest I don't want to be without it now. Despite all the quirks it is a useful source of all sorts of information. I still stab but a lot less now and my fingers look normal again. Best site for me is definitely inside arm and mostly I forget it's there. It's been great for checking out the effects of foods which otherwise would have cost numerous strips. It was also responsible for my odd discovery that 2 squares of 90% Lindt Excellence actually lowers my BG.
For now I will certainly be sticking with it so to speak.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Another thing I discovered over the past 2 days at aqua/swimming. As I have said previously I use Tegaderm to cover the sensor while in the pool. Make sure you put it on well in advance of going to the pool. I put a new Tegaderm on in the changing room yesterday - bad idea as it was hot and humid and I only just made it through aqua. Made the same mistake again today and No 1 grandson was so concerned for the safety of "my secret sugar thingy" that he pleaded with me to stay at the side of the pool with my right arm in the air so it wouldn't get wet.
Will make sure I have Tegaderm on well in advance in future.

Reactions: Brunneria

Humbug33

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
After a fair bit of thought and research I decided to take the plunge and have a go with the Libre sensor. I thought it might be useful to record my thoughts in one place in case anyone else was thinking about it.
I had a few misgivings but my main concern was it would fall off as I spend a couple of hours in a swimming pool 3 or 4 times a week which is well beyond their 30 mins maximum. With that in mind I decided I have to tape the sensor. I eventually went for Opsite transparent tape but I put some gauze over the sensor so that the Opsite is sticking to my arm not the sensor.
I ordered direct from freestyle and have to say the order was processed and arrived quickly. Yesterday I made sure I read everything and that I was happy with what I had to do. Today I waited until the afternoon when my BG is pretty stable, had a shower , made sure I was nice and dry then used the medicated wipe.
As suggested I picked the back of my arm. Being left handed I went for the right arm. If I'm honest I would have preferred to fix it to the abdominal area but I followed the instructions.
It was straightforward enough. I did find the applicator difficult to open but that was probably because I didn't want to damage it. Opened the sterile pack with the sensor , lined up the black indicator lines and very tentatively pressed down to attach the sensor to the applicator.
It contains a needle - yes it does. Very much like a long Lancet needle and that's going to be such in me for 14 days? Told myself not to be silly , put the applicator in place and pressed down. There is an advantage to bingo wings - I didn't feel a thing.
Next step is to remove the applicator. Easier said than done as I'd managed to nip some of my skin into it. A bit of gentle extraction later I freed my skin and the applicator without detaching the now stuck sensor.
With Hubby's help I applied gauze and Opsite to ensure it stayed put. I'm leaving it quietly in place until tomorrow afternoon and will activate it.
Once I got over being tentative it was surprisingly easy and painless to attach. Just hoping activation is as problem free tomorrow.
Hi
Ive been using the system since December, and have had one or two issues but nothing that has put me off to the point of going back, firstly I had a sensor go bad after a couple of hours, but Abbot were great and replaced it straight away, and the another thing is in the application (probably my fault) I've found if you don't get the applicator dead square to your skin it goes from painless to ***@£$$%^** !!! and stays that way every time you catch it on something, as far as coming off in the water is concerned that has not been a problem I've been away on holiday twice wearing the sensors in and out of the sea, pool and shower without one dropping off, I did find some freestyle Libre patches for sale on eBay which I bought for this very reason and they worked ok but I noticed the backing paper on them showed they were made from rock tape which is sports injury tape and you can buy a huge roll of that for around 12 quid so I just use that now, the feature I particularly like apart from the obvious ease and discretion of use, is if you download the software from freestyle you can download all your data to your desk top and there is some really helpfull stuff you can print out and take with you to medication reviews and the like with the practice nurse daily patterns, low events etc

Steveyeu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
It says on the libre website that the sensor needs to be place on the upper arm... away from injection site and any tattoos... that is going to be difficult as the only un tatooed part of my arms are my hands Anyone any ideas??

Thanks
Steve

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It says on the libre website that the sensor needs to be place on the upper arm... away from injection site and any tattoos... that is going to be difficult as the only un tatooed part of my arms are my hands Anyone any ideas??

Thanks
Steve
I would call Abbott and ask them to be honest.

gavin86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Just stumbled upon this thread... so much great info!

Put my first sensor in yesterday morning. Jumped when the applicator clicked (after sitting nervously with it softly pressed up to my arm for what seemed like eternity!).
Thought my nervous reaction meant I'd pulled away and stuffed it up, but then looked at my arm and there it was! Didn't even feel it.

My first day, BG was all over the place as usual (only diagnosed t1 a month ago). Today now that I trust it a bit... I coasted through between 4 & 9!!!
I'm sure it was partly just a good day, but being able to see the graph has stopped me from panicking and shoving a mountain of sugar in my mouth.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just stumbled upon this thread... so much great info!

Put my first sensor in yesterday morning. Jumped when the applicator clicked (after sitting nervously with it softly pressed up to my arm for what seemed like eternity!).
Thought my nervous reaction meant I'd pulled away and stuffed it up, but then looked at my arm and there it was! Didn't even feel it.

My first day, BG was all over the place as usual (only diagnosed t1 a month ago). Today now that I trust it a bit... I coasted through between 4 & 9!!!
I'm sure it was partly just a good day, but being able to see the graph has stopped me from panicking and shoving a mountain of sugar in my mouth.
I can relate to sitting with the applicator. It gets easier. I managed to trap my skin in it at one point and had to gently ease it out to remove the applicator. Now I just click the thing on. I still do finger pricks to check but no where near where I was before.