Disabled car badge.

Najw

Type of diabetes
Type 2
got T2 diabetes, morbidly overweight, on water tablets and peeing every hour or so. It's a problem when out and about. Also have degenerating hip and knee probs. What's the chances of getting a disabled badge to make it easier to park nearer shops and conveniences. Any one had any experience that could help ?

Ian_Laye

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would say there is very little chance of getting one. I was over 23st when diagnosed and had the same peeing problem, I adopted a strict low carb diet initially then when my weight came down upped the fat content of my diet, my peeing problem resolved itself quite quickly after going very low carb. The reason you are peeing so much is because your is body getting rid of the excess sugar. If you were to taste your pee you would find it tastes sweet. I am now down to 15st 9lb and my levels are now in the non diabetic range. I have done next to no exercise this has been done purely through diet.

Reactions: paulliljeros

astle9

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
the hip and knee problems would be the way to go, i know lots of people who have a blue badge due to these kind of mobility issues, speak to your GP about this and all that is required is their backing and a simple mobility test. The diabetes would not provide you with a blue badge but it effects could. My advice however would be to seek medical help with both diet and physical activity which done under supervision could help to slow down the degenerative aspect of your joint problems. Good luck.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd agree with @astle9 - my sister has had very bad hips for many years and has had to use a crutch to help her walk, even after two hip replacements. As far as I can remember she was considered disabled and had her car badge well before her operations. She's also been every overweight, but after losing a fair bit recently, she's found that it's made a difference both to her mobility and the fairly constant pain she suffers.

But definitely look into eating less carbs anyway, which should cut down both on your weight and so the pressure on your hips and legs, and help reduce your glucose levels which means your kidneys should have less work to do weeing away any surplus sugar.

Robbity

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
keeping to the topic of disabled parking permit ( blue badge) application, I hope the following will be of use.....
https://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/blue-badge-scheme

@Najw I see you are new to posting here. Have you seen the info that @daisy1 posts for new members? I have tagged her, so she will post here soon.
There is also useful information in moderator signatures.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with the others. Why not do something about your problems so you won't need a car badge? Losing a lot of weight will greatly help your hip and knee issues, and reducing your blood sugar levels will stop the excess peeing. Diet is the key, and that means low carbs.

Reactions: Ian_Laye

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Will members please keep to topic.
Which is information about disabled parking permit, and how to apply for one.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Najw

Hello and welcome to the Forum :) Here in my signature are the links to the Basic Information we give to new members and to the Low Carb Program. I hope these will be useful to you.