STATIN USERS - QUESTIONS and ANSWERS

julie...57

Hi What problems have others had on statins, I found it left me very tired, sleepy, with no energy, it was too much to even do the washing up most day and I had to keep resting, I have at the moment stopped taking them, and all my energy levels are back to normal, I know I must get my cholesterol down (diet excercise) so has anyone had this problem and could reccomend medication that they found works better Ive had lipitor simastatin ect ect type 2

thanks

Julie

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Re: statins

I take a plant sterol called Lesterin it works for me down 7.9-4.3. You cant get it on prescription and it is quite expensive and doesnt work for everyone.
CAROL

Ka-Mon

Dislikes
Childish people who start childish arguments. KNOW-ALLS who claim they can help people to control their Diabetes without knowing their medical back ground.

BLINKERED people who think their way is the ONLY way.

Eating LOADS of SAT FATS. I HATE SAT FATS.

Did I mention I dislike KNOW-ALLS.

People desperate for attention and recognition.

People who get angry when they don't receive anything in return for helping others.

I had stomach pains and a very annoying constant dry cough using Simvastatin. My GP then put me on Atorvastatin, I had no problems with that and my colestrol level went down to 3.1.

I am off statins now and trying to manage with diet only, will find out at my next blood test if I've failed or not.

BTW, when do you take your statin, in the morning or evening?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

As the others have said there are alternatives......one particular one might not suit but there can be a vast improvement just by switching to one of the other drugs.

You should neevr stop or alter medication without first discussing it with your GP or HCP. statin's have other benefits as well.

Ken

julie...57

cholesterol lowering statins

Hi I have just starting to read a very interesting book which I got from amazon called The statin damage crisis. While taking and Ive tryed a few, I was feeling very unwell, my Doctor listened, but then I felt he was trying to bully me in to keep taking them, when I refused he smurked and said its your choice. Now I am reading this book my eyes are open to the side effect of these powerful drugs. If you are taking any cholesterial tablets dont just take your Doctors word for it, do you research, or buy a book on the side effect, most books are not very expensive. keep healthy. Julie

PickledPepper

Re: cholesterol lowering statins

Can you not give us a little synopsis of the information contained in the book?

What are the statins doing?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Julie,

I have no experience of statins whatsoever, but my oldest brother was put on statins 2 years ago with a cholesterol level of 9, it is now down to the 3's and he has no side effects with taking statins.

Nigel

dorsetlad

Dislikes
T2

I am currently on statins (Simvastatin). Although only been taking them a couple of months, I have had no side effects whatsoever. I think I've read other posts on here saying the same thing. The fact is, that we are all different, and I think it is unwise to generalise, and effectively put the frighteners on people, especially those newly diagnosed and still in a state of confusion. My doctor has assured me that I will be very closely monitored, and will be taken off them if severe side effects occur.

Brian

Talos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfriendly people, MP's,

I am also on Simvastin and can agree, I have no side effects now, slight ones when I first started, but they left after about 2 doses. If you are prescribed them, its for a good reason, at least give them a fair trial before dissing them.

julie...57

Hi all
I also have friends who are fine on the medication, but there are many who do have side effects and dont realise whats wrong. Like me for instance. No way am I trying to frighten anyone but we owe it to ourselves to check out the powerful medication we take. And because I did I now know what effect the statin had on me. I feeling so much better. But we are all different. Somebody might find what i'm saying very helpful.
Julie X

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates

I developed severe muscle pains on 10 mg simvastatin. The pain went away within a week of stopping them.

My wife takes 40 mg simvastatin & doesn't attribute problems to them. She swims 40 lengths (1 Km) most days, but has got a shoulder pain.

We cannot be sure of being properly monitored - it depends on us recognising that our symptoms are possible side effects, & reporting to the Dr. I had other symptoms that I attributed to getting older, & the effects of diabetes. Not taking statins, & drastically reducing carbohydrates has had a very beneficial effect on my health.

I use cholesterol reducing marge & oat bran to control my cholesterol. It was 7.6 10 years ago & is steady at about 5.0 now.

clearviews

Dislikes
Arrogance, sarcasm and liars

IanD said:
We cannot be sure of being properly monitored - it depends on us recognising that our symptoms are possible side effects, & reporting to the Dr. [/quote
Hi Julie....57 I agree with IanD on the above quote. I was put on Lipitor by my Dr because "äll' diabetics and even non-diabetic Drs benefit from taking statins for life". I researched this medication lots and was deeply concerned that my neuropathy would progress as it was a known possible adverse side effect. I discussed it with her but she was not convinced that it should be of concern to me.
By the time I saw an Endcrinologist I had stopped taking it (no one should change or stop meds without discussing it with their HCP). He said that amongst other meds I should be taking a statin because I was a diabetic. I told him of my concerns but he prescribed Crestor saying it was newer and better. I began low carbing and stopped taking the statin again (no one should stop without discussing it with a HCP). Much, much later it dawned on me that the arm pain that had been plaguing me since taking statins had stopped. Initially cholesterol got worse but since that first äfter"test my cholesterol figures have continually improved. Last and final visit to the Endo resulted in him congratulating me on my results (three non-diabetic A1cs in a row) with no meds.
If I didn't recognise a side effect of statins like muscle pain, I would hardly be likely to mention it to the doctors so they in turn do not get to know the whole picture of side effects and how many people actually do have them.
Alison

kateincornwall

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who lie , animal cruelty , boredom and pineapple !

I`m currently on a break from Crestor, had my blood test on Friday and see the Doctor next week to see what effects the break is having on cholesterol . I was taking 10mg crestor per day but had muscle aches and an upset stomach . I have been very vigilant with regards to fat , but if the cholesterol result isnt reasonable , I`m willing to try the lowest dose of 5mg Crestor per day and see what happens .

carlos

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
people with no sense of humor and take life to serious

a copule of years ago i used to take atrostavatin 10mg then my old docs changed this to simstostavatin 40 mg a day i had terrible muscle cramps dizzines and pain in my legs reported this to the doc imediatley and was placed back on atrostavatin have since come of them and touch wood so far stayed of them for nearly 2 years its norm now around 3.7 4.0 i know somebody else who took simstovatin and they had no problems at all so it must be what works for you but if i had anty bad side effects of medicaition would report it to my docs asap

culcroy

Adverse effects of Statins

Hi everyone, I was diagnosed in January this year (type2) blood sugar 24, I have with diet and Metform 3 times a day managed to bring this into line (almost) readings in the morning around 6.1 to 6.4 and after food 8.5 to 9. However my doctor suggested I go on Simvastin and after 3 weeks have found the tingling in my legs and feet together with lesser tingling in my hands quite alarming. I have stopped taking the pills and have an appointment to get my blood done followed by an appointment with the doctor tomorrow and Friday respectively. Can anyone tell me if this is caused by the statins or is the start of Peripheral Neuropathy. It seems rather coincedental. I should point out that I stopped the statins one week ago and the tingling has gone away.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

Simvastatin is one of the Statin's which seems to provoke the most posts here. There are many who have a problem with this particular drug and then again there are also many who do not. It is very much an individual thing.

I had a problem with it when first diagnosed, had it changed to a different Statin and had no further problems. There are also those who think ANY Statin is a 'poison' and then also other's like myself who get great benefit from them. A choice many have to make......a Statin or not ??

It is something that you should discuss with your HCP when you meet.

Have a read back through this thread for many answers which may help you.

Ken

I've been taking simvastatin for almost 10 years, although my cholesterol has now reached a safe limit it had none or little effect on my raised sugar level.
In the past I have only been able to take them in the morning as if I take them at night the make me sick!
I recently had an Angioplasty(stent) for my heart and a nurse in the hospital told me to try and take the statin at night which I tried.Fortunately, I haven't been sick since changing my medication times.

My sugar level has dropped significantly over the past few weeks. Was it the change in medication times or could it have been the Angioplasty??

By the way this operation has made a major difference to my life and I feel very fit and well.

copperend

Hi Everyone :)

I started taking Simvastatin when I was first Diagnosed with type 2 Diabetes.
After a short period of time I started to have severe pain in my lower legs I used to be a runner and over the years suffered a number of times with shin splints this was I was now recieving was very similar to that. I also recalled that my memory was totally gone and I was begining to talk gobbly gook I was forgetful and very tired but I at first put it down to having just being diagnosed with diabetes, so I carried on the best I could.
My step son is a Staff nurse in a large hospital and one day I was talking to him about what was happening to me.
He straight away told me they are side effects to Statins.
He suggested I kept off them for a Month to see if I felt better If I did then to talk to my doctor and tell him what I had done.
I came off the Statins and over the course of a Month I began to feel a lot better.
On speaking to the Doctor after the Month was up he agreed with what I suspected .
I now take Fenofibrate capsules.
Although these are not as effective as Statins are.
I have felt a lot lot better without any of the previous aches and pains.
My Cholestrial is down to normal and I feel a lot more active.
At 62 yrs of age I do need a a40 minute sleep in the afternoon whether that is because of my ailments, age or just me I don't know but it is better than living with loss of memory and pain.

copperend