SugarBuzz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
**** doctors. Airport travel.
Hola everyone. This may be 'old news' to some (but I only just found out about it) so I thought I'd post this as it may help inspire people with type 1 diabetes (similarly to how I read a post about a pro-futsal player on the exercise/sports forum here).

To cut a longer story short I was having a chance conversation the other day about climbing/mountain hiking, age etc. and remembered my own issues I had last year when I went up a 3,479m high mountain in winter conditions. Basically my blood meter didn't work in the mountain refuge as it was too cold. So I started wondering if there were other diabetics out there that have faced similar and especially more difficult: challenges...and boy there is. ;-p

I decided to look up mountain climbing/hiking and type 1 diabetes and though it was a while ago now I came across (no pun intended) this guy Will Cross a Type 1 diabetic (since age 9) who has walked both the South and North Poles as well as climbed the 7 mountain peaks. Including EVEREST!!!!!! (at aged 40, as far as I can work out).
So yeah, not only did he have to deal with the obvious stuff that everyone else does - fitness, altitude, weather conditions etc. - but he also had to manage his diabetes too.

So yeah. It doesn't have to be something as extreme at Everest (which has taken even some of the best - non type 1 diabetic - experienced professionals). But it's certainly food for thought. Especially for some of us that are even wondering if they'll be able to play any sport at all or whatever.

Anyway, if anyone is interested here's a link (and I'm sure you can do your own further research as I will be doing). Get inspired :)

https://beyondtype1.org/first-t1d-summit-mount-everest/

https://www.healthcentral.com/article/meet-will-cross-explorer-and-mountaineer-with-type-1-diabetes

So, who knows. I might actually have to stop listening to some other people and get inspired again after initially 'giving up' on my Aconcagua (highest mountain outside Asia at 6,962 m) pipe dream.

Let's see!!!!

Please post any similar stuff here as I want to read about it all.

Last edited:

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Diabetes is not an obstacle, it is simply a reason to try harder. You can't live your life in fear.

Reactions: Bon83

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
This is great timing for me @SugarBuzz - I start walking the Cotswold Way this Saturday in aid of JDRF, doing 102 miles over 5 weekends and so getting a little nervous at the enormity of the challenge, not as fit as Will but have 2 working legs and a pump and a libre so going to do my absolute best to avoid hypos and finish the walk, haven't done anything so challenging yet since being diagnosed a type 1 so all positive thoughts - please send them this way :)

REM73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Not exactly serious mountaineering but stomped around Lastours this past week in France. High enough for me! Only issue was the high wind. I clung to a boulder....limpet like. The sense of success and achievement was huge!
ea2bce99a7fcf00a66a256eb6fab9382.jpg

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
So, who knows. I might actually have to stop listening to some other people and get inspired again after initially 'giving up' on my Aconcagua (highest mountain outside Asia at 6,962 m) pipe dream.

I'm sure Will's story will give you the motivation @SugarBuzz to fulfil your dreams.

Please post any similar stuff here as I want to read about it all.

A few weeks back I got an email from the charity Diabetes UK with an article about marathon running and the following chap was mentioned, found his story truly inspirational and just goes to proves what can be acheived when you set your mind to it:

https://www.diabetesdaily.com/blog/...betes-and-40-marathons-for-awareness-262610/#

Reactions: Juicyj

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
We're headed to Mt. Whitney, CA in a week or so. That's pretty high up there I don't know how high up well go though. There's a 12,600 foot peak in our state about 100 miles from home we aim to climb. It's only about 4.5 miles from the parking lot to the top (which is 9,500 feet high). They are still skiing up there this weekend!

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Great thread for newly dx'd who often ask, "will I still be able to do sports?"

Puts my mere hoofing it to the top of Ben Nevis into perspective!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Thank you for posting this @SugarBuzz, it is such an inspirational thread, with brave and motivated people, good on them :D
Wishing you all the best :)

maria030660

Dislikes
backstabbers, brocoli and dirt toilets...uggghhhh
These days being a t1 is not an illness but condition. You have a professional cycling team and all cyclists have t1..amazing. If you look back 31 years ago you was more or less an invalid destined to lose a leg...lol. Go for it!

Reactions: WIZARD2013