Newbie low carb Q

squishee

Hi,

Sorry if this has been asked before - I did quickly search but didn't see anything on a quick glance.

Basically, when you are counting carbs do you use the actual carb value, or "net" carb (ie carbs minus fibre) value? I'm a little confused, as some things differ considerably between the two values and I don't want to be miscalculating!

Thanks in advance!

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
Hi squishee, it's the Net carbs you should use.

Cheers
Graham

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
On UK packaging the total amount of carbs already has the fibre removed so that is the number you go by without subtracting anything else.

In the US and some other countries, their total carbs includes the fibre so their net carbs is the same as the UK total carbs.

squishee

Ah, that's useful info to bear in mind sugarless sue, thanks. I would probably have started subtracting fibre & got it all wrong! :oops:
I don't eat much packaged food, most of the carb-values I'm using are coming from books where both values are stated, hence my initial query.

Thanks!