Does low carbing improve insulin sensitivity?

NatJS

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
I'm curious if anyone knows following a strict low carb diet over a long period can improve insulin sensitivity. Since this seems like a very popular method of controlling blood sugar it made me wonder exactly what's going on with this diet - does your blood sugar improve only because there's less easy-to-convert-to-glucose carbohydrate in your diet and therefore simply less sugar in your blood, or does the diet somehow make the actual diabetes less severe too. Have any long term HFLC-ers found they could tolerate carbohydrates better after a while on the diet?

Reactions: Freema

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think so, or rather you do not need insuline as much when doing low carb, exercise can lower insuline resistance by around 30% if one does get muscles in optimal shape and even get them bigger...

unfortunately it is rather seldom that any diabetic person can eat the same aount of carbs like before diagnosis

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Even a not exactly strict diet will alter how carbs are coped with as long as the amount of carbs is enough to bring down the BG levels into single figures. After a couple of months I saw my BG creeping down even though I was eating slightly higher levels of carbs that at diagnosis.
I doubt that I'll ever be eating bread and cakes or chocolate which is high in sugar again, but regaining a few pounds of the weight I had lost indicates that my resistance to insulin is reducing and I need to do more exercise to get back to where I was when low carbing a few years ago.

Reactions: 13lizanne

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I think it is going to vary from person to person. I've had a few c-pep tests over the last 4 years when I've been following a low carb diet, so I know that has remained constant and insulin production is in the normal range.

Insulin resistance can be measured but I've only recently discovered that so only have one measurement. However, my BG and HbA1c have become more elevated and probably because the insulin resistance has got worse. There is also the fact that my body is now converting protein and probably fat to glucose because my FS Libre is showing elevated levels several hours after eating a meal with little or no carbs (40gms per day).

Recently started Januvia which doesn't seem to be doing much at the moment, I'll give it a few more weeks. I've read different experiences from different people, some say 1 week some say 2 months, so I'm hoping for something in between.

Last edited:

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Anecdotally, I would think it does...I see improvements, not complete restoration.

Rarely see glucose spike over 200mg/dl over the past year... high carb meals spikes stay within 180mg/dl ~ 10 mmol.

A nice low carb meal hardly cause a blip...
18209172_10155363804709445_1132017396309980599_o.jpg

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm curious if anyone knows following a strict low carb diet over a long period can improve insulin sensitivity. Since this seems like a very popular method of controlling blood sugar it made me wonder exactly what's going on with this diet - does your blood sugar improve only because there's less easy-to-convert-to-glucose carbohydrate in your diet and therefore simply less sugar in your blood, or does the diet somehow make the actual diabetes less severe too. Have any long term HFLC-ers found they could tolerate carbohydrates better after a while on the diet?
I think in my case, I have to answer YES to both your questions. Certainly the control of carb intake has a diret effect on my bgl, and I was running with levels in the 24 to 32+ mmol/l range prior to starting LCHF. I now rarely go over 7 mmol/l. In terms of carb tolerance improving, I run quite a loose ship in terms of diet, so am definitely not strict,

But at Xmas and Easter, I suspended all pretence at control, and let it all hang out with the goodies and baddies. This Easter I binged heavily on standard choc eggs and choc bars. My average bgl for that week only rose a couple of mmol/l and I remained sub 10 on virtually all my readings. Once the binge ended, my bgl dropped very quickly back to my usual average of around 6,2. Yes I did see elevated bgl due to sugar surges, but they were much lower than I was expecting. So although i am not cured, I seem to be maintaining good control without being anal about it.

Lord Midas

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Idiots. Morons. Flat Earthers. Religious fanatics. Trump. Bigots. Misogynists. And other assorted bad types.
I've been on a very low carb diet for about 4 weeks now. My fast acting (Humalog) Insulin intake has reduced dramatically.

e.g. a meal with some potatoes, or a pasta dish, I would be taking around 20-30 units of Humalog.
Instead of taters or pasta, I now have broccoli or green beans. And my Insulin requirements are about 7-10 units.

Not only that my blood sugar if far better controlled. So, even with 20 units my BS would still spike high into double figures, and have all the awful feels that came with it.
Now I don't get that and feel great.

I still need to take my long-acting (Lantus Galrgine) at a similar dose of 30 units each day. Keeping my background level stable seems to be more important here. I did drop the in-take to 26 and my bloods were just too high during the day. Hitting 9 or 10 mmol.

It's been really interesting cutting the carbs and working out how much insulin to take. But I feel great, more energy, more focus and a lot happier. Fat loss has been slower, but that will come.

Good luck

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another anecdotal response is that for me one of/all of, Low Carb eating, Intermittent Fasting, Exercise appears to have improved my Insulin sensitivity over the last two years.

I personally think it is the weight loss, specifically Visceral Fat as a result of all three approaches that is the main reason.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Also LCHF can include many protein rich foods such as pork, beef, chicken, turkey and some dairy products. also sea foods like tuna, salmon, halibut, trout, and canned anchovies. all of these are high in L-Arginine which is I believe known to help improve insulin resistance.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
As far as Im aware and after reading the anecdotal evidence on here for the last 8 years I would say that the only way to lose insulin resistance is to lose visceral fat, so any diet will work providing that it is sustained long enough to reduce the visceral fat.

I reduced mine but I did not add any extra fat to my diet as every time I did my weight loss just stalled, I ate a low calorie diet to lose weight and a low carb diet to reduce my bg levels so I was eating a less of everything diet but much fewer carbs and no extra fat.

Thats not to say that a lchf diet wont reduce insulin resistance but IMHO it is the weight loss not the diet that reduces insulin resistance, any diet will work ie the Newcastle Study diet which is not a low carb at all, its more like a very very low calorie diet.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As far as Im aware and after reading the anecdotal evidence on here for the last 8 years I would say that the only way to lose insulin resistance is to lose visceral fat, so any diet will work providing that it is sustained long enough to reduce the visceral fat.

I reduced mine but I did not add any extra fat to my diet as every time I did my weight loss just stalled, I ate a low calorie diet to lose weight and a low carb diet to reduce my bg levels so I was eating a less of everything diet but much fewer carbs and no extra fat.

Thats not to say that a lchf diet wont reduce insulin resistance but IMHO it is the weight loss not the diet that reduces insulin resistance, any diet will work ie the Newcastle Study diet which is not a low carb at all, its more like a very very low calorie diet.
Actually there is some evidence that a High Carb, Ultra Low fat diet also works. But it must be very, very low fat.

raun01

Low carb helps in manage and to lower insulin dosage. It took me 3 weeks to adjust glucose levels, now I have them in a controlled range

AngelaLynch

Fat is the cause of insulin resistance not carbohydrates, the advice that Diabetes Research UK gives is very wrong. Insulin resistance is lessened by eating carbs, (Video Link has been removed) this is one of countless videos that discuss this. I could have a long list here, and the Doctors who subscribe to this point of view are not quacks, they bass their ideas on sound research.

Moderator has removed the video link due to possible virus

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ultramum

Rosalie_900

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This is really confusing. I think VISCERAL fat is dangerous and causes damage to arteries. However talking about type 2 diabetes without being more specific ( as in this video) is not overly helpful. For example a lot of people could improve their BS control by just losing weight whatever their macro nutrient ratio. I don't have that option as I would get into an unhealthy BMI if I lost weight. I really don't think that eating more carbohydrate is going to improve my Hb A1c; it has improved since I reduced carbs. Why eat carbs when you can't metabolise them properly? Surely eating more sugar is going to stimulate more insulin production and perpetuate the problem. Why should it increase insulin sensitivity?

I am not sure whether insulin sensitivity is increased by a low carb diet. I think you have to stick to the diet once you are on it, so it doesn't fundamentally cure it but manages it: that is my understanding....though there is a lot to learn yet. Its an interesting question.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As I suspected this is more WFPB nonsense being peddled. (Whole Food Plant Based)
Search Results
The McDougall Program Basics. A diet of plant foods, including whole grains and whole-grain products (such as pasta, tortillas, and whole-grain bread), and a wide assortment of vegetables and fruit. Plenty of spices and usually small amounts of sugar and salt to enhance the flavor of food

>>> These are the same proponents that forbid eggs because of their cholesterol. They tend to be more vegan than any others I have heard from. We have had many run ins on this site, and they generally end in a slanging match,

There is some anecdotal evidence that a high carb low fat diet can work for some T2D, but not to the point of the claims for CURE for diabetes as is usually pushed by the acolytes. The HC diet only works with extremely low fat intake, and as such is a proven health hazard since studies have shown that a VLF diet significantly increases the risk of early death. In fact the advocacy for plant based intake is not unlike the diet I am following, but I know from experience that rice is damaging for me, as well as being chocker with arsenic (as reported just now on the News). Leaving out the rat droppings that seem unvoidable. I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone thinks that pushing sugar and salt into a diabetic can do any good at all, let alone lead to a cure. My GP has declared me as Resolved, which I read as well controlled.

So, You take the High Road, and I'll stick with the low road, and I am pretty confident that I know which diet will kill me first.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As I suspected this is more WFPB nonsense being peddled. (Whole Food Plant Based)
Search Results
The McDougall Program Basics. A diet of plant foods, including whole grains and whole-grain products (such as pasta, tortillas, and whole-grain bread), and a wide assortment of vegetables and fruit. Plenty of spices and usually small amounts of sugar and salt to enhance the flavor of food

>>> These are the same proponents that forbid eggs because of their cholesterol. They tend to be more vegan than any others I have heard from. We have had many run ins on this site, and they generally end in a slanging match,

There is some anecdotal evidence that a high carb low fat diet can work for some T2D, but not to the point of the claims for CURE for diabetes as is usually pushed by the acolytes. The HC diet only works with extremely low fat intake, and as such is a proven health hazard since studies have shown that a VLF diet significantly increases the risk of early death. In fact the advocacy for plant based intake is not unlike the diet I am following, but I know from experience that rice is damaging for me, as well as being chocker with arsenic (as reported just now on the News). Leaving out the rat droppings that seem unvoidable. I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone thinks that pushing sugar and salt into a diabetic can do any good at all, let alone lead to a cure. My GP has declared me as Resolved, which I read as well controlled.

So, You take the High Road, and I'll stick with the low road, and I am pretty confident that I know which diet will kill me first.
Following on, this is what DietDoctor says on this subject, and he makes some valid points (IMHO)
https://www.dietdoctor.com/dr-mcdougall-in-shocking-vegan-interview

AliciaWarren

Disclaimer: I'm a disciple of Dr Jason Fung's approach to diabetes and insulin resistance ever since reading The Obesity Code in April 2016 after a prediabetes diagnosis. I've been following a LCHF way of eating with some Intermittent Fasting for 12 months. In that time I've gone from 69 kg (BMI 25.3) to 62 kg (BMI 22.8).
To answer this question the first question is how is insulin sensitivity measured? Is it the same way you measure insulin resistance? I've been grappling with this question because although I have lowered my fasting blood glucose and my HbA1c, how do I know that I have lowered my fasting insulin levels or my average insulin levels? I don't. It's important not to confuse needing less insulin because of less carbs in diet, and having lower fasting insulin levels and a faster return to fasting insulin levels after a meal. How are others measuring their insulin resistance?
Dr Jason Fung tells us in the Obesity Code that LCHF can lower average insulin levels (the size of the spikes as a result of meals) but periodic Fasting is needed to bring down the baseline (ie fasting) insulin level. Other things that make a difference to insulin levels are exercise (esp HIIT), healthy sleeping patterns, reduced stress ie lower cortisol levels, vinegar and fibre in the diet.

AngelaLynch

My link to the video was taken down, some one claimed it had a virus in it. I not sure its possible for a virus to be in a link to youtube. I think it is Diabetes UK being dishonest and controlling the conversation
So here are some more links, the evidence is overwhelming, T2 is 100% reversible, if the person who has it changes their diet. The diet is a good one that is very enjoyable, and easy to stick to. Please do not make your selves ill listening to all the high protein/ low carb nonsense. Diabetes UK are a disgrace.
Lets hope that this is not taken down, I have plenty more where these came from, they are not viruses. An argument must be pretty weak if the only way to deal with it is to remove its opposition from the conversation.
My motivation here is to help and share this information with people who have been deceived and are making them selves ill with poor advice. Type 2 is caused by fat, and eating animal protein.

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My motivation here is to help and share this information with people who have been deceived and are making them selves ill with poor advice. Type 2 is caused by fat, and eating animal protein.

Type 2 may be caused in some instances by visceral fat around the organs however eating fat does not make you fat so I'm afraid you are a little mistaken in your beliefs. However each to their own .
I have found that by cutting out carbohydrate from my diet almost entirely I have brought my Type 2 under very tight control whilst loosing weight and increasing my energy levels so much that I have joined a gym. I eat a few veg but mainly red meat with double cream, butter and lactofree milk along with eggs, chicken etc.
I try not to make blanket statements like yours quoted above and attempt to be open minded and speak from my own experience. However when you say we are being "deceived" I'm afraid I have to respond. We all have to follow our own way. Because your way has worked for you does not mean that it would work for me.

AngelaLynch

Type 2 may be caused in some instances by visceral fat around the organs however eating fat does not make you fat so I'm afraid you are a little mistaken in your beliefs. However each to their own .
I have found that by cutting out carbohydrate from my diet almost entirely I have brought my Type 2 under very tight control whilst loosing weight and increasing my energy levels so much that I have joined a gym. I eat a few veg but mainly red meat with double cream, butter and lactofree milk along with eggs, chicken etc.
I try not to make blanket statements like yours quoted above and attempt to be open minded and speak from my own experience. However when you say we are being "deceived" I'm afraid I have to respond. We all have to follow our own way. Because your way has worked for you does not mean that it would work for me.