Would being in constant pain affect my BG ?

Reddog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have an Arthritic hip that now leaves me in pain all day,I take up to 8 Nurofen tablets daily until I can see my GP in 2 weeks time.
Would both the pain & tablets affect my BG?

Nidge247

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
@Reddog

I have found that intense pain = stress = raised BGs, but they were unpredictable, and I didn't alter my insulin because of it, simply noted in my diary the apparent reasoning for the elevation for those periods.
I take 1000mg of Glucosamine Sulphate daily and this keeps the pain in check and joints moving, far better than painkillers ever did.

I don't know if Nurofen would affect your BG - perhaps someone else may know?

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
Well I would say - yes to your question. Reading round the forum many members would also agree. It certainly is the case for myself but then my pain comes from inflammation which does cause higher blood sugars. I'm going to tag @Liam1955 and @debrasue for you who both have experience with constant pain

D

debrasue

Well I would say - yes to your question. Reading round the forum many members would also agree. It certainly is the case for myself but then my pain comes from inflammation which does cause higher blood sugars. I'm going to tag @Liam1955 and @debrasue for you who both have experience with constant pain
Yes, most certainly! Like you, Anna, my pain is inflammation-based (arthritis and subsequent cartilage/bone deterioration) and my worst days coincide exactly with higher BGs, including FBG. In fact, the two go so closely in hand in my case that it makes me wonder whether it's a bit of a chicken-and-egg situation. Does the pain/inflammation have anything to do with the T2, or vice versa?

Reddog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes, most certainly! Like you, Anna, my pain is inflammation-based (arthritis and subsequent cartilage/bone deterioration) and my worst days coincide exactly with higher BGs, including FBG. In fact, the two go so closely in hand in my case that it makes me wonder whether it's a bit of a chicken-and-egg situation. Does the pain/inflammation have anything to do with the T2, or vice versa?

Thanks for your input,what you describe is me all over .

Do you or have you had any Cortisone injections? or what meds do you use for pain relief.

Reactions: 13lizanne
D

debrasue

Thanks for your input,what you describe is me all over .

Do you or have you had any Cortisone injections? or what meds do you use for pain relief.
No, I haven't gone down that route, as my mum's experiences rather put me off (she has RA, and found the cortisone jabs very painful, and then they either didn't work at all or only lasted a few weeks).
I take paracetamol, codeine, Diclofenac and ibuprofen gel. And on really bad days I take ocycodone quick-release (sparingly). How about you?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Nurofen is normally ibuprofen based. Ibuprofen isn't recommended for diabetics. They can raise bgs. Gel rubs get absorbed differently and not through stomach so your gp will prescribe the gels.
Hope this helps!
Ps. Pain effects my insulin need, for sure. Consultant would say increases my insulin resistance too due to less exercise and need for more insulin units.

Reddog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
No, I haven't gone down that route, as my mum's experiences rather put me off (she has RA, and found the cortisone jabs very painful, and then they either didn't work at all or only lasted a few weeks).
I take paracetamol, codeine, Diclofenac and ibuprofen gel. And on really bad days I take ocycodone quick-release (sparingly). How about you?

Well I was going to almost demand a shot of cortisone?? not so sure now?,My GP appointment is 16th May, with you guys advising I feel better prepared for the appointment ,Thanks.

Reddog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Nurofen is normally ibuprofen based. Ibuprofen isn't recommended for diabetics. They can raise bgs. Gel rubs get absorbed differently and not through stomach so your gp will prescribe the gels.
Hope this helps!
Ps. Pain effects my insulin need, for sure. Consultant would say increases my insulin resistance too due to less exercise and need for more insulin units.

I've taken so much Nurofen as it's the only medication that gets anywhere near easing the pain, I try the gel rub instead tonight, Thanks to all for your input.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Take the advice of your pharmacist if things change before the 16th @Reddog . i know my tramadol only on controlled prescription thou.
I'd be ill without its relief, even thou pain still there in walking. Numb leg and big toe when walking just around the corner too. I haven't found a perfect pain relief, yet. Anyone?
I think the best we hope for is far less than we have!

D

debrasue

I've taken so much Nurofen as it's the only medication that gets anywhere near easing the pain, I try the gel rub instead tonight, Thanks to all for your input.
I think the most important thing about pain relief is keeping on top of it. Taking whatever you choose to take regularly and on time, and not letting the pain get out of control. Once you have lost control of it it's much harder to get back.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hello @Reddog :) - Pain, Stress, Worry and some medications raise my Blood Sugars. I have Osteoarthritis in my lower spine and in multiple joints (and 2 Herniated Disc's in my Spine) - everyday the pain varies from joint to joint and from Acute to Chronic pain and no day is ever the same.
I have been on/taken quite a few drugs over the years and even had courses of Steroids and (6)Steriod Injections. The one drug that works for me is the liquid Morphine - but, I am trying to keep away from that and use it if the pain is driving me crazy!! (When all else fails) I recently stopped the opium based transdermal patches after using them them for 16 weeks, and have been back onto taking the Pregabalin. I am constantly aware that taking the drugs is not doing any good for my Liver Problem and so a lot of the time I suffer and put up with Pain = and much higher blood sugars.
Thanks for tagging me @13lizanne and @debrasue

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I do wonder if sometimes it is the higher blood glucose that contributes to the increased pain?
If my fasting level is higher than usual, I know I am in for a few days of debilitating joint pain, and headaches. Then The pain stresses me. Stress can be a factor. Sometimes I need steroids for allergic condition. These always increase BG levels. For me ever increasing dosages of various medications only make the higher readings worse. I am allergic to morphine and Ibuprofen and codeine based medications, and don't like to have a cocktail of too many meds, so find the best thing is distraction. Meditation, gentle exercise, something repetitive like tapping to music, or just getting outside in the fresh air and watching nature. Failing that I accept that I will have to shut down for a day or so.

Reactions: Reddog and Liam1955

Reddog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Last night I used Fenbid Forte Gel & managed to sleep without pain for 7hrs, pain again woke me up! but after applying more gel the pain is easing again.

Looks like this could be the answer??

Thanks once more for your advice everyone.

Reactions: Ultramum
D

Deleted member 371625

Stress of any kind, including pain, will cause an increase in BG. The body is preparing for fight/flight by supplying the necessary energy. This isn't a problem if you produce insulin normally to mop up the excess. The principle is the same as the dawn phenomenon where the body is supplying the energy it thinks you are going to need.

https://www.sharecare.com/health/diabetes/how-pain-affect-blood-sugar
https://consumer.healthday.com/diab...ar-in-type-2-diabetics-study-says-677840.html

Can pain cause the diabetes? I have seen no research on this but anything which raises a persons BG for prolonged periods (whether it is chronic pain or carbs) may have some effect. It would be interesting to know whether the body becomes accustomed to the pain in the sense that it stopped releasing glucose (in which case it is unlikely to be a causal factor) or whether it lead to a constantly raised BG (and therefore higher HbA1c).
Alternatively, it could be that chronic pain, by preventing exercise, may be causal in a more indirect way.
I shall spend a little time searching for relevant research and if I can't find any, maybe have a student look into doing it (I know a couple looking for a doctoral thesis and may suggest this).

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@Reddog - Hi :). I also use the Fenbid Forte Gel for my Ankle, Knee and Shoulder. I keep the tube in the Fridge and when I apply it the cold gel does work wonders.
If you are thinking about going down the Steriod route? Just bear in mind your Blood Sugars would no doubt go up?

Reddog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks Liam thats sound advice, I;m having a good day today, no Meds just the Gel this morning & no pain{too good to be true?] And just done a finger test at 6.8 instead of 10s & 11s, Think that sums it up?.
Stress of any kind, including pain, will cause an increase in BG. The body is preparing for fight/flight by supplying the necessary energy. This isn't a problem if you produce insulin normally to mop up the excess. The principle is the same as the dawn phenomenon where the body is supplying the energy it thinks you are going to need.

https://consumer.healthday.com/diab...ar-in-type-2-diabetics-study-says-677840.html

Can pain cause the diabetes? I have seen no research on this but anything which raises a persons BG for prolonged periods (whether it is chronic pain or carbs) may have some effect. It would be interesting to know whether the body becomes accustomed to the pain in the sense that it stopped releasing glucose (in which case it is unlikely to be a causal factor) or whether it lead to a constantly raised BG (and therefore higher HbA1c).
Alternatively, it could be that chronic pain, by preventing exercise, may be causal in a more indirect way.
I shall spend a little time searching for relevant research and if I can't find any, maybe have a student look into doing it (I know a couple looking for a doctoral thesis and may suggest this).

Reddog

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Thank you for your Help.

Reactions: Liam1955