Fats

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
A couple of studies that show the benefits of dairy fats :p

The similarity of the estimates of risk is remarkable and, although conclusions have to be tentative, it seems not unreasonable to conclude that there is no evidence that dairy foods as a total group are associated with harm to health either in terms of death, heart disease, stroke or diabetes, but are probably beneficial in relation to these disease outcomes.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/k24 ... lltext.pdf

Abstract:
Coronary heart disease is associated with diet. Nutritional recommendations are frequently provided, but few long term studies on the effect of food choices on heart disease are available. We followed coronary heart disease morbidity and mortality in a cohort of rural men (N = 1,752) participating in a prospective observational study. Dietary choices were assessed at baseline with a 15-item food questionnaire. 138 men were hospitalized or deceased owing to coronary heart disease during the 12 year follow-up. Daily intake of fruit and vegetables was associated with a lower risk of coronary heart disease when combined with a high dairy fat consumption (odds ratio 0.39, 95% CI 0.21-0.73), but not when combined with a low dairy fat consumption (odds ratio 1.70, 95% CI 0.97-2.98). Choosing wholemeal bread or eating fish at least twice a week showed no association with the outcome.

Full Study

http://www.mdpi.com/1660-4601/6/10/2626/pdf

Graham

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I seemto be between a rock and a hard place re fats.The dietician recomended a high fat diet to put weight on I am 1 stone underweight .When I had my last blood test my DN was not happy with dietician because my cholesterol has gone up from 4.3 -5.1 .Besides eating more cheese cream etc.I have not been having my porridge as it seemed to effect my bgs Now what do I do :?: I thought of a small portion porridge and still have a high fat diet. I can check bgs but not cholesterol I see dietician early Aug shall I start a war between dn and dietcian I feel like piggy in the middle.Anyone any ideas.Ta.
CAROL

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
carty said:
Hi I seemto be between a rock and a hard place re fats.The dietician recomended a high fat diet to put weight on I am 1 stone underweight .When I had my last blood test my DN was not happy with dietician because my cholesterol has gone up from 4.3 -5.1 .Besides eating more cheese cream etc.I have not been having my porridge as it seemed to effect my bgs Now what do I do :?: I thought of a small portion porridge and still have a high fat diet. I can check bgs but not cholesterol I see dietician early Aug shall I start a war between dn and dietcian I feel like piggy in the middle.Anyone any ideas.Ta.
CAROL

Hi Carol, my experience is almost a mirror image of yours I was a stone underweight and was put on a high fat diet by my dietitian. I am lucky with my DN though she is far more understanding of my needs, she realises after seeing my food diary and BG records that increasing carbohydrates is not an option.

You will have found out that there is very little information for skinny T2s we seem to be totally ignored, nearly all dietary advice is based on the assumption that we are all overweight. DUK do have a maintenance diet but that's based on low fat and extra carbs which for me would require medications to cover.

As for your cholesterol you need to find out the breakdown of Trigs, HDL, and LDL ask your surgery for a print out , my total cholesterol went up but it was down to an over 25% increase in HDL the good cholesterol, Trigs remained low and LDL was more or less unchanged leading to an improved ratio. This is what many diabetics have found since reducing carbs and increasing fat, and this is what you may find too.

Dietitian versus DN, as it sounds like your DN favours a low fat/carbs diet, to replace the fat 9g cals per gram would mean a large amount of carbs 4g cals per gram. As you need a high calorie diet that's going to be a lot of carbs and higher BGs, stick with the dietitian she knows more than your DN about nutrition.

I have found that low carb cake and bread is best for weight gain with minimal impact on BG levels, since adding these to my diet I've managed to gain ½ a stone, the gain has stalled now but my weight remains stable.

Hope this helps
Graham

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Graham
Glad someone understands :D My HDL was2.4 LDL2.5 Trigs0.97.My HBa1c was 7 higher than I want but it is coming down and I havnt been able to exercise much lately .
When I asked for a print of my results as I usually do I was asked to sign that I allowed myself permission to remove my results from the surgery :roll: Has anyone else had to do this or do I look like a batty old woman who would lose the paper right away and then sue? By the way which low carb bread do you use I am dying for a bacon butty
CAROL

graham64

Dislikes
carty said:
Thanks Graham
Glad someone understands :D My HDL was2.4 LDL2.5 Trigs0.97.My HBa1c was 7 higher than I want but it is coming down and I havnt been able to exercise much lately .
When I asked for a print of my results as I usually do I was asked to sign that I allowed myself permission to remove my results from the surgery :roll: Has anyone else had to do this or do I look like a batty old woman who would lose the paper right away and then sue? By the way which low carb bread do you use I am dying for a bacon butty
CAROL

Hi Carol those cholesterol levels are great and gives you a ratio of 2.1 the range is to <4.5 so the high fat diet has turned out ok for you. :D

Can't understand why you need to sign for your printouts it's never happened to me, maybe it's down to the practise manager at your surgery.

I use flaxseed bread it may not be to your taste but worth giving it a go, if you google low carb bread there are loads of recipes you can try.

Cheers
Graham