Itchy legs

PNJB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Advice needed please from anyone with the following problem. Whilst the rest of me is doing nicely, my legs (which I believe show signs of Necrobiosis Lapoidica, have become particularly "itchy" from the ankles to the knees, I am resisting scratching as, if the skin breaks, it is very painful., yet it so hard NOT to scratch. There is no discharge nor obvious signs of anything being wrong. I sought advice from my Chemist who reccomended Calamine Lotion, instead of the E45 I had been using (both to little benefit) He has suggested using porrige oats in a sock with water to coat it to try to reduce the irritant. If anyone else out there suffers similarly, I would love to hear your solution as it is driving me crazy. It has been happening over the last 2 weeks and was never a problem before, even with oedema, which has now gone.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been finding that hot baths help with the muscle pains I have been having, last thing at night before bed, but I was having itchy legs - I used E45 in the mornings to ne great effect, but since trying to bathe at least every other night the itching has gone, and my feet are now even smaller than they had shrunk down to.
The baths have helped with all the itching and I am now finally healing up around my shoulders and upper arms. I can't use any bubble bath or even soap in the water - I wash under the shower and then fill up the bath.
As my husband is a duvet dragger, always uncovering my feet, I now have a separate cover to ensure my feet and lower legs are not out in the cold, as that really sets things off, aching muscles, painful joints and itchy skin. It's enough to drive one mad.

Reactions: PNJB and Liam1955

PNJB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been finding that hot baths help with the muscle pains I have been having, last thing at night before bed, but I was having itchy legs - I used E45 in the mornings to ne great effect, but since trying to bathe at least every other night the itching has gone, and my feet are now even smaller than they had shrunk down to.
The baths have helped with all the itching and I am now finally healing up around my shoulders and upper arms. I can't use any bubble bath or even soap in the water - I wash under the shower and then fill up the bath.
As my husband is a duvet dragger, always uncovering my feet, I now have a separate cover to ensure my feet and lower legs are not out in the cold, as that really sets things off, aching muscles, painful joints and itchy skin. It's enough to drive one mad.
because I had not changed anything, I have not considered that a big softee like me thoroughly loves bubble bath etc. I will try water only showers with a rough flannel for a time to see if there is any relief. Thanks for the possible remedy.

majnoon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
yes, i have the same problem, but my Doctor prescribed Euomovate ointment and zerodouble gel which helped greatly

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hi @PNJB - I have Psoriasis, but I am taking Biological Drugs and I use pure Aloe Vera gel on my "itchy" legs, arms, etc.
Aloe Vera Gel in tubes can be purchased from most chemists, super drug, savers, home bargains and costs may vary between a couple of £'s. But, it is 99.9% pure gel - and if you keep the tube in the Fridge I find the cool gel works wonders on the itchy bits.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you taking Ibuprofen, makes the wife skin fall off on her legs .. or rapeseed oil ... we won't go into what that is doing to the wife :)

ellat257

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I like prefer the oats in a bag in the bath with a few drops of lavender oil. I find that helps then a good moisturiser like oilatum cream helps. Good luck. Hope you find an answer.

Reactions: Liam1955

PNJB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you taking Ibuprofen, makes the wife skin fall off on her legs .. or rapeseed oil ... we won't go into what that is doing to the wife :)
Not taking Ibuprofen, but all the other suggestions will certainly get me trialling each suggestion, so thank you all for your experiences / guidance.

PNJB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Having raised the question of itchy legs here, I am back to report my findings. I did not have any Piriton, but substituted a cheap Asda Hayfever 1-a-day tablet containing LORATIDINE, I accompanied this with a water only hot bath with no soaps or shampoos and a clean flannel, then followed up with coating the affected areas with Calamine lotion, which I let dry. Result? Calm and uninterrupted sleep for the first time in weeks I cannot claim it to be the panacea for all itches, but this seems to be working for me, so thank you all for your helpful suggestions.

Last edited: