Type 2 Diabetes and Depression

Maggie/Magpie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Butternut Squash, Cabbage and confrontation.
Hi,

Depression can be a big problem or for some a small one, I was diagnosed with it 12 years ago but I'm convinced I had the beginings of it from aged eight. I'm on anti-depressants which helps to take the edge off, but mines a long term problem. Yours sounds as its relatively new and only started with the diabetes diagnosis, if this is the case take heart, for there are many anti-depressants your Gp could offer you to try, sometimes its just a case of taking them for a short while like six months to get you over this hurdle until you take control of your diabetes fully and feel you can cope once more. For some counceling or just talking to someone who understands is enough but it does depend on the cause of the issue. My old psychiatric nurse used to say that it takes as many years that your depressed to recover from it, I often think if thats the case then I'll be in my grave before I'm cured! Yours sounds a lot more optimistic.

Please enquire at your practice surgery about seeing another doctor, at mine you can see anyone that you request it dosen't have to be the one your registered with. If thats not the case at yours I suggest you consider moving to another surgery which everyone has the right to do.

Good luck

VivD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
bigoted and selfish people, this Government, grey cold windy days
I think I have had a low grade depression on and off during my life but recently felt I was having low sluggish states in response to my metformin which I don't tolerate too well. I have settled for controlling my diabetes with a low carb diet, slow release insulin which I take at bedtime, sticking at 100mg of metformin slow release at least half an hour after my last meal early evening. This seems to help the metformin was stopping me eating regularly as I didn't feel hungry and this was putting my day out of sinc and I would feel hungry late on, I am mostly going to bed earlier - I wasn't getting enough sleep, this definitely makes a difference. My dog helps by getting me out for walks every day and I have different activities including yoga that I take part in. Not allowing myself to sit too long and making myself get up and do something if it is only something small helps as does music. I use deep breathing and relaxation techniques too. So I suppose I am saying find patterns and food that suits you and break your day week up. Don't set yourself up to fail - be nice to yourself.

Last edited:

sallyhack

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, My outlook on depression is not medical. I have observed my own depression over many years and came to the conclusion that the cause lies lies in my thought process. I have found that if my thoughts are less orientated towards myself and my problems then I have a better view of the world.
If I wake feeling ****** then I have probably had dreams concerning my situation. When I stop the thought process which has caused my poor self esteem then the depression (self absorption) is lessened. To control ones thoughts, especially those of which one is not aware (sub conscious) is most difficult but it is the ONLY way that I have found any success.
Medication may alleviate the symptoms but it does not treat the cause. In my case the cause was that I questioned the meaning of life - especially my miserable life. However when I realised that the cause of my depression was in my own thoughts then I could seek out a solution. I found that when I went to work and my thought pattern was forced to change - I was forced to think about things other than my miserable condition - then the depression reduced. When I returned home I found that if I kept myself occupied then I did not have the time to be concerned with myself, thus hobbies and TV.
This was not an easy path as for me to understand that I am the cause of my own condition goes against modern medicine. Modern medicine attempts to resolve all conditions with a pill. Unfortunately I do not believe that the thought process should be interfered with using medicine, I believe that I am the principle cause of my life and I try to behave accordingly.
This is simply my outlook on life and it has improved my ability to exist in this world. Perhaps it could work for you.
I hope that you learn to deal with your depression and would strongly recommend that you look into the cause.
All the very best, Chris

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Last time I raised the issue with my GP he said '..that's something you'll have to live with like many others do",
That is ridiculous! I was told as soon as I was diagnosed that depression is often part and parcel of Diabetes and that I would automatically get my depression medication re-subscribed (I was taking it before diagnosis). However, since then my current diabetes GP keeps asking if I want to come off it - I tell him to back off in no uncertain terms! Depression can take quite a while to get better and I have found the thought of dealing with my Diabetes without the depression medication a daunting thought. I would try to see a different doctor or change practice if they wont deal with this.
I found walking quite therapeutic and borrow my neighbour's dog for nice long walks!
Good luck, don't be fobbed off, you should get this sorted. x

Reactions: Angelofthemarches

j14w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My depression associated with Type 2 dtabetes is getting the better of me. From lasting for a few hours each morning it is almost constant throughout the day and affects my self esteem, motivation, well-being etc etc.

What other members of this forum suffer the same as me and what have they done to overcome their depression - or at least alleviate it?

I am taking vitamin D and iron vitamin mixture as a help. Depression seems linked to so many things and is a pain in the neck .....I try to see people at least once a week and get out and about....I need to go swimming too once a week as I believe exercise is important in combating depression. I have just begun to give up my antidepressants as I think they are making me so so tired and then it is harder to combat depression. Our two labradoodles are so good too - they give you cuddles and love and then exercise because oyu have to walk them !!!

srobertson06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cycling, Exercise Classes
I just wanted to add I was recommended by a friend who is a nurse that I needed to take complex B vitamins as I could suffer from depression due to trying to stick to a low carb way of eating -- I would add I do suffer from bouts of depression and have done for many years because I refused medication I am left to sort myself out - I know lack of daylight is one issue so I do tend to suffer at this time of year - I have learnt to do some form of hobby - right now it is crocheting - I try to keep busy and I do exercise.

Hope that helps some what.

Reactions: Prem51

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just want to add that it's wise to be cautious of mental health forums/communities. It's not uncommon for users, and I include myself in this, to enter into such a forum with one mental condition, only to obtain new ones as you spend more time on there and associate with others who are suffering.

For example, you may enter a generic mental health community with a desire to connect with and discuss topics of interest with other depression sufferers only to develop anxiety or agoraphobia..etc on top of any existing conditions.

Just be mindful that this can and does frequently happen.

yes Mist
and the unhealthy aspect of just focussing on ones depession seems to also be a way to prolong it... it is more helpfull not to **** a hole deeper and deeper by just focussing more and more of the negative aspects of ones life..
meditation is good because it actually train the brain into a lower level of anxiety and to prefer lower level of waves in the electricity of the brain...
people really doing meditation in many years do often have brain waves that are deeper than deep sleep , which mean that their meditation is super recreational

there are those painting boolets where grown-ups can color the fabulous patterns and pictures and those are a more easy step into a meditation like style

like these : https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Books-Coloring-Grown-Ups/zgbs/books/11357541011

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hi there like most on here you have my deepest sympathies, i've just gone through bariatric surgery and its got rid of my diabetes where i'm on insulin, medication now have stopped, i'm back to diet controlled, but after 44 years of having diabetes its a relief, but my depression hasn't gone and i still most mornings like you feel rubbish and my self esteem is rock bottom at the moment even though i've lost 10 stone in weight so from nearly 28 stone down to 18 stone 2lb you would be thinking i'd be jumping with joy, in one respect i am but my depression soon takes over. one guy said on here have you been to see yo GP about what your going through, or is there something that you use to enjoy doing but haven't done for a while, could that help you. i know one thing you have plenty of friends on here that are in the same boat so to speak, and i always say a problem shared is a problem halved. i do you these and other words that are being sent to you make you feel that somewhere in our country your not on your own, you have many friends to call upon take care hope this help even if it put a smile on your face, then that's a start.

if you can do take fish oil capsuels or eat a lot of fatty fish daily, it is the kind of fats the brain is made of mostly and therefor it helps the brain to relax when it gets enough of ist prefered oils/fats..

M

mist

yes Mist
and the unhealthy aspect of just focussing on ones depession seems to also be a way to prolong it... it is more helpfull not to **** a hole deeper and deeper by just focussing more and more of the negative aspects of ones life..
meditation is good because it actually train the brain into a lower level of anxiety and to prefer lower level of waves in the electricity of the brain...
people really doing meditation in many years do often have brain waves that are deeper than deep sleep , which mean that their meditation is super recreational

there are those painting boolets where grown-ups can color the fabulous patterns and pictures and those are a more easy step into a meditation like style

like these : https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Books-Coloring-Grown-Ups/zgbs/books/11357541011

I agree. Meditation can be difficult at first, especially if you have body related anxiety, but with regular practice it can do wonderful things.

Guided meditation courses like "Headspace" are great for starting out as you are guided through the various steps.

I always try to find time to find a quiet place and just spend ten minutes to sit and listen.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree. Meditation can be difficult at first, especially if you have body related anxiety, but with regular practice it can do wonderful things.

Guided meditation courses like "Headspace" are great for starting out as you are guided through the various steps.

I always try to find time to find a quiet place and just spend ten minutes to sit and listen.

yes you are a bright guy... !
sometimes also the reason for mental problems but at the same time maybe also the reason you can find more effective sollutions.. the most important in meditating is I guess doing it steadily...

which is where I fail...I am not really good at anything one must do in the same way every day.. and then I end up being a person that needs to track almost everything I do... and eat pills more time of the day.. how nice is that ? :hungover: :***: :mask: :spitoutdummy: :confused: :grumpy:

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
but you are right Mist about suggesting those guided meditations
one can buy them on CD... and actually also can find a lot of on youtube.. and just try the different kinds there ...

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=guided+meditation+deep+relaxation+

but would of cause be good to have some recomended from an experienced meditator...

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
My depression associated with Type 2 dtabetes is getting the better of me. From lasting for a few hours each morning it is almost constant throughout the day and affects my self esteem, motivation, well-being etc etc.

What other members of this forum suffer the same as me and what have they done to overcome their depression - or at least alleviate it?

Hi oaklandraider,

I should not have depression and anxiety because I have been on psychiatric drugs for most of my life. When I first became diagnosed with diabetes, my mood was not that bad and consistent with my drugs. However, as the years went by, the complications of diabetes created more and more depression. And I can only guess that the daily routine of vigilance and care, necessary in fatigue has made diabetes cause depression and has become a part of diabetes. I find that if you want to increase your mood, you might avoid high blood sugar. and take walks. Take care.

Conrad18

I was responding to your thread about depression but when I hit submit, the thread no longer existed. I'm not sure if you deleted the post yourself, or if a moderator deleted it, but here was my response to you, hopefully it may help a little.

I won't quote your post just in case it was you who deleted it and you had second thoughts about the post.

----- My response -

I too have suffered with long term severe depression, since the age of 15 after being diagnosed with cancer, I'm now 34.

I took the worst route possible, drugs, alcohol and self harming but somehow I survived, barely!

As a result of my suicide attempt doctors are not willing to prescribe me medication, which I can understand, however it did force me to look for alternative coping methods.

The usual suspects such as exercise and meditation, yoga..etc..are all good for depressive states, but they are not for everyone that's for sure, especially if you also contend with anxiety as many of us do.

What works for some just doesn't gel with others, this is why it's important to find what's right for you.

I love video games, not necessarily ones with guns and explosions, some games are extremely immersive pieces of art that you can lose yourself in, these are the experiences I look for. Sure, maybe I'm forgoing the real world in favour of a virtual one, but that's much better for me than the alternative.

I'm also a musician so just sitting at the piano and expressing how I'm feeling helps, sometimes I feel angry or sad, but rather than give in to those raw emotions, I will just convey them in a piece of music.

The same can be done with drawing and painting too.

You need to find, if you haven't already, what it is that makes you smile, inside and out, because even smiling to yourself in the mirror, even a forced smile usually ends up in genuine laughter, and what's better than laughter? It's good to laugh at yourself and not take yourself, or the world too seriously.

I sincerely hope you find what works for you, feel free to message me any time.

Reactions: Prem51

Conrad18

As the partner of a type 1 who was diagnosed 18 years ago and suffers from depression my heart goes out to anyone in this situation. My partner has been unable to work continuously due to diabetes and other health issues so at weekends we have started visiting old churches using an excellent book about Englands 1000 best churches by a Simon Jenkins (not an ad!). We have also done a number of church visits with genealogy interest around the country. He spends the week planning our next route and at the weekend when I'm not working, we then find a local hostelry for coffee and somewhere for lunch, usually old inns or pubs, and take in the historical side of the churches along the route. We have had some wonderful times and look forward to some decent weather so we can continue our jaunts. Sadly the winter months do add to the depression.

Reactions: Prem51 and mist

parrotlady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
rude people. bad manners
I was diagnosed T2 3 years ago and found learning to deal with it has been very hard. I was depressed before the diagnosis through life problems that i still believe i deserve whatever happens to me. To get through the days i did a Mindfulness course by the Monash university. its online and free. The course taught me how to exist in the moment which does help me sometimes. Depression like Diabetes is an invisible illness that hurts. Some days i want to feel better but other days i think this is me so just grit your teeth girl and get on with it. I get up. go to work and pretend each day that im ok. I lost my son 2 years ago. im not a whole person. never will be.

midschick1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
To be honest I have become extremely depressed over the last monthly. My diet is not great and I haven't been taking my meds. I am in constant pain since going on stating even though my cholesterol levels are in range. Since then I have had a heart scan but they couldn't do an angiogram because my heart rate is constantly over 100bpm. I am so fed up of feeling this way. I am even on meds for depression but they don't seem to help.

D

Deleted member 388305

I find that I go through cycles of depression without really being aware of it until I feel quite bad. For me, it is directly tied to my blood sugar control. A few months ago, after a conversation with my doctor, I realized that I was feeling bad ALL the time. I've since gotten control of my sugars and am doing much better. The problem is that the toll diabetes takes is insidious. It can always creep up on you if you lose awareness and its hard to stay aware. As for meditative practices, I find tai chi helpful. You have my sympathy and I am sending good thoughts your way.