Type 2 Food and Alcohol

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes
Just go careful with those three pieces of fruit every day.

It is recommended that you get a blood glucose monitor and test before you start to eat and then two hours after, this will tell you what effect that meal has had on your bg levels

Have a good read around the forum and feel free to ask as many questions as you like - there is always an answer somewhere

Terryrhino

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
okay is that low enough for you...?

I have to be under 70 calories to get a normal blood glucose even with metformin 2 x 850mg ... but most days I get something in between 70-80 grams of carbs... to me it would matter if the whisky goes as carbs and not as fat

It seems low enough for me but I'm not testing at tho moment, 126g of carbs is very low considering I think I would of been maybe 500g/600g a day, a week ago pre diagnosis everything is trial and error for now until I start testing

Reactions: Freema

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It seems low enough for me but I'm not testing at tho moment, 126g of carbs is very low considering I think I would of been maybe 500g/600g a day, a week ago pre diagnosis everything is trial and error for now until I start testing

it is not low compared to many in this forum.... I was a bit chocked to find out that some only get 10 grams of carbs a day...

but I guess that also mean that they don´t have to take any medication at all...

Last edited:

bobrobert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
the excercise is important to get fit again and to keep fit... how you Loose your weight is not important as long as it is in a healthy way..... being diabetic type 2 you have problems storing glucose in muscles , the only way you can help that is by doing excercise (creating again slowly the abillity to store glucose in muscles) and to some extent by lowering your isuline by fasting...

I used to try to Loose weight by training, it never worked for me.... now I do both training hard training and am on a low calorie diet...
This has made me able to really loose weight even when being insuline resistent...

I do fast every day , well except from the whiske this morning, and yesterday, I fast from 19 PM till 12 o´clock next day... just to help my insuline go down by fasting... and those 3 things together has made me able to loose about 1 kg pro week... at the moment stalling a bit but I hope to loose another 25 kg/ ca 58 pounds

If you increase the muscles then that adds weight and after exercising if you eat a meal you generally feel hungrier than usual which could mean you eat more?

Reactions: Freema

bobrobert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Getting below 100grms would be beneficial. Remember this isn't a race so in time you will find a good level.....if you don't give in to temptation.

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I may be wrong, but you look to me like a bacon and egg man! Get the day off to a flying start, 2 rashers of bacon, 2 low carb sausages (you can find them all over, Asda's chipollatas are very low, get used to taking your reading glasses out with you when you go shopping and read the label on the back for carbs), 2 eggs, mushrooms and a tomato. It will fill you up royally and calm your hunger cravings for the rest of the day. you'll soon get used to it without bread. I too would give up fruit, I have 1 tablespoon a day of winter berries with half a full fat natural yoghurt - but wouldn't have any other fruit in normal circumstances, it just has too many carbs. I know it's counter-intuitive, but you can get all the vitamins you need, including vitamin C, from green leafy veg and salad stuffs.

You are off to a cracking start, well done, but to get that blood glucose down to normal levels, without medication, you need to go lower. Add extra cream, cheese, have a hard boiled egg if you've got hunger pangs. Your appetite will decrease over time, for virtually everybody, it just does!

Terryrhino

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I may be wrong, but you look to me like a bacon and egg man! Get the day off to a flying start, 2 rashers of bacon, 2 low carb sausages (you can find them all over, Asda's chipollatas are very low, get used to taking your reading glasses out with you when you go shopping and read the label on the back for carbs), 2 eggs, mushrooms and a tomato. It will fill you up royally and calm your hunger cravings for the rest of the day. you'll soon get used to it without bread. I too would give up fruit, I have 1 tablespoon a day of winter berries with half a full fat natural yoghurt - but wouldn't have any other fruit in normal circumstances, it just has too many carbs. I know it's counter-intuitive, but you can get all the vitamins you need, including vitamin C, from green leafy veg and salad stuffs.

You are off to a cracking start, well done, but to get that blood glucose down to normal levels, without medication, you need to go lower. Add extra cream, cheese, have a hard boiled egg if you've got hunger pangs. Your appetite will decrease over time, for virtually everybody, it just does!

I wasn't sure if fruit was good or bad ?!? Even vegetables have carbs don't they I've cut out added sugar bread potato pasta and rice so the carbs I'm getting from fruit and veg is surly ok ? I'll give the breakfast a go next weekend thanks for the encouragement

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I really would stress that getting a meter and testing before meals and 2 hours after will tell you what is happening to your BGs also test First thing in the morning to see how it is going day by day .Without a meter you are just guessing ! The codefree meter is the cheapest for strips You can buy online from their site Homehealth also if you buy 5 packs of strips and use the promotion code 264086 you will get a discount
CAROL

bobrobert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A glass of dry white wine about 120 ml has around 0.7 grms of carbs in it. Red wine has about 3gms of carbs per 125 ml.

http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/calories-in-food/alcoholic-drinks/dry-white-wine.htm

the above link also gives carb count as well as calories.

I wonder about the accuracy of these books and charts on carbs & cals. The book I have from Diabetes UK reckons that red wine 250 ml glass has 1carb and dry white wine 250 ml glass has 2 carbs and sweet white wine 250 ml glass 15 carbs. All sources that I have read reckons red wine is better than white.

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I wasn't sure if fruit was good or bad ?!? Even vegetables have carbs don't they I've cut out added sugar bread potato pasta and rice so the carbs I'm getting from fruit and veg is surly ok ? I'll give the breakfast a go next weekend thanks for the encouragement

The secret is to 'spend' your precious carbs on nutrient dense foods. So if you are aiming for really low carbs (less than say 30g a day, that's what I'd be aiming for) an apple is close to 20, an orange 16, a banana 27. So, whilst that is better than a piece of apple pie, a glass of orange juice or a banana split - it's still too many carbs for somebody with insulin resistance.

You are aiming to get your carbs so low that your body stops pumping out insulin to try to get your blood glucose down, and in a few weeks, your cells will get more sensitive to the insulin that is in circulation - and will actually make use of the glucose, rather than it going around your circulatory system causing inflammation - and your liver working furiously to mop it up - causing fatty liver.

So, you've dumped the bread, pasta, rice, potatoes (well done you) now dump fruit and fruit juices - have a protein / fat rich breakfast, if you don't have time to cook a full English in the week, have a couple of hard boiled eggs, a slice or two of boiled ham, a chunk of cheese. Lunch have meat or fish and salad (plenty of mayo) a tin of sardines (or two) and a tomato will fill you up, and for dinner, any old meat, fish, protein of any source. Try cauliflower cheese - steam cauliflower, drain it, chuck in a carton of seriously strong cheddar spread, put the lid back on and after 2-3 minutes, stir it through, easy and delicious. Cabbage fried in butter, gorgeous. If you're still hungry, cheese board, celery sticks, spring onions. This is the secret to normalising blood glucose FAST - then you can take your time to add /try out foods or drinks you want to incorporate into your diet.

And, by the way, I have a little tipple most days, dry wine, gin and slimline, whisky and water. If I drink more than one or two it stalls weight loss, but the blood sugars are still okay.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Dry white wine is low carb comparatively sweet white wine is high though I am not that keen on wine any way to be honest I prefer a nice dram of scotch my self neat of course.

Carbs & Cals book gives red wine 125 ml as 0 carbs but 250 ml as 1g carb weird

Last edited:

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you increase the muscles then that adds weight and after exercising if you eat a meal you generally feel hungrier than usual which could mean you eat more?

I train a lot I am on only 1000 calories... but the days I train I do eat up till 600-700 calories more , but always les than I burn in calories.... it can be controlled and the food can be fit to what kind of sports you do.... I count the carbs and calories everyday

have found some good snacks to take in between but not more than one everyday like this fresh coconut or cooked lean chicken right out of the fridge in the supermarket, or a protein bar rasberry with 20 grams of proteins... http://www.bodyman.dk/shop/maxim-40%-proteinbar-30697p.html , but it is 22 grams of carbs too so it takes a lot of my carbs..
I eat mostly nuts in the at dinner or eggs or cottagecheese... but all together about 70-80 grams of carbs

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dry white wine is low carb comparatively sweet white wine is high though I am not that keen on wine any way to be honest I prefer a nice dram of scotch my self neat of course.

Carbs & Cals book gives red wine 125 ml as 0 carbs but 250 ml as 1g carb weird

I used to love a Khalua or a Baileys by myself but I think my new passion will be single malt whisky in smaller amounts...
I do like red wine but mostly in the company of others...

Last edited:

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

it always depends on how many carbs you body can cope with and if you want to have normal blood glucose numbers or as normal as possible numbers...
I aim for normal numbers because I want to live as long as possible and preferable with both my legs and with eyes that can see...

a lot of diabetics give up, and thats sad cause if you rule your food you can maybe live as long as the average person.... but if you give up even the years you live can be very misserable...noone but we can change that untill there is found a cure... but till now there isn´t and the medicin is but a stick to lean at it doesn´t do much actually.
by the way even people who do their best can have trouble controling blood glucose, but in the early years the stickt diet and a lot of excercise and losing overweight can do really much for prolonging the good parts of life...

uptome

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've started walking 6km 4 times a week and use mapmywalk for inspiration and it's working I will speak to someone about diet I think that's the hardest for me I love food I'm a keen cook and baker and struggling to make anything taste nice without cream butter sugar and carbs haha roasted veg and steamed fish is the best so far, as for keeping positive I'm trying and messages like yours help an awful lot so thank you very much

Hi T.

Well thanks Terry for that, Don't do as I did with the weight loss and check it every day and DON'T over do it. I am not one for converting Kilometers to miles, but at a guess if you are walking 4k that is SOMEWHERE around 2 miles or so?? would that be a good guess?

I walk my dogs with the time I spend exercising and they have also lost weight....poor things.... I have slimmed down and now have my partner telling me not to over do it. "Oh dear' cant keep everyone happy can I.

We all hear the finances are being cut to a bare minimum for the NHS and that on this site, it has been reported how diabetes is one BIG burden to the NHS. It has also been mentioned how diabetes will cripple the service.

I do think that if possible any diabetic who is able bodied and has been told by their doctor that some walking would be beneficial to them, should walk. (where weight is a contributing factor)

For me I found that using one of those 'cross trainers; and exercising for one and a half hours did me no good at all. I can't speak for others who have used them. According to the machine which did heart rate also, I was burning 1800 cals for my one and half hours. THAT was over doing it and to be honest I lost very little weight. I do not know why?

I am now walking and to my amazement I have lost more weight getting out and about walking my dogs than I have at any other time using gym equipment. It does have it's uses, so I would not want to 'dis' it entirely.

So for myself I will "keep walking" and try improve my own situation with my diabetes. IF by some chance I can reverse my symptoms, then I will be creating a little less of a burden on the NHS and POSSIBLY allow someone else to use the cash I am not.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all, I'm Terry and I'm newly diagnosed with T2 07/10/16 I'm 39 and male, I'm taking metformin. Everything is very hard to understand and there is a lot to take in, I might be ill informed but I've decided to have a low carb diet and cut out all extra sugar but finding it difficult to find food that fills me up ?! Should I avoid potato bread pasta rice and are the whole meal versions just as bad ?? Also I used to love a good few drinks on a Friday, can anyone tell me the best alcohol to drink ( in moderation) or is it a big no no ??? Thanks in advance for any input #Hungry
www.classicales.co.uk sell low carb beer

Christine McMillan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've started walking 6km 4 times a week and use mapmywalk for inspiration and it's working I will speak to someone about diet I think that's the hardest for me I love food I'm a keen cook and baker and struggling to make anything taste nice without cream butter sugar and carbs haha roasted veg and steamed fish is the best so far, as for keeping positive I'm trying and messages like yours help an awful lot so thank you very much

Terry, my husband is T2, loves cooking and we have a bread maker. I'm diet comtrolled diabetic myself. We make bread using various brown type flours, but you do have to mix white flours or they don't rise. We add lots of bran to these loaves, I have problems with nuts but nuts, seeds are goood added to these loaves. We have one (we do 2lb sized loaves) slice of bread some days, I also eat the brown flour tortilla wraps into which I add salad, meat, cheese. We don't have pasta or potatoes every day nor rice but we do eat quinoa and other grains of this type. Outside hot summer, porridge for breakfast sometines instead of a slice of bread with egg, chicken or beans (baked) or home made muesli.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You are lucky that you both can tolerate such high carb foods - I can't eat grain at all and many seeds raise my BG levels a lot, I don't eat beans or peas other than a small serving of green beans or garden peas.
Perhaps in the distant future I might be able to eat something other than Lidl protein rolls, but they will have to do for now.