How to deal with social eating?

Sally66

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there. I was diagnosed with prediabetes last year and have done very well keeping my BG levels within the "normal" range through LC diet and exercise. I have a monitor and have worked out what foods suit and what do not. I belong to an amateur dramatic society that has a thriving social scene. BBQs are fine as I can get round that but wine tasting and full on afternoon tea parties I cannot. I just can't happily sit by watching all around me dive into delicious cakes and sandwiches. My husband and son have gone to the latest and I feel so miserable but would feel worse if I went and didn't eat. How do other folks cope with similar situations?

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Difficult one! If I go to anything like that I just drink the tea or wine and ignore the food. I've never had anyone say anything but if they did I'd just mutter something about wheat not agreeing with me.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there. I was diagnosed with prediabetes last year and have done very well keeping my BG levels within the "normal" range through LC diet and exercise. I have a monitor and have worked out what foods suit and what do not. I belong to an amateur dramatic society that has a thriving social scene. BBQs are fine as I can get round that but wine tasting and full on afternoon tea parties I cannot. I just can't happily sit by watching all around me dive into delicious cakes and sandwiches. My husband and son have gone to the latest and I feel so miserable but would feel worse if I went and didn't eat. How do other folks cope with similar situations?

It can be difficult, I agree. However, a wine tasting event should be great! Stick to reds, prosecco, or very dry whites, and eat as much cheese as is on offer :) Afternoon tea parties are more difficult, and it does seem a shame if you are not going to these and missing out on the social side of things. Are you involved in any of the organising and catering? There are many recipes and threads on the forum for low carb cakes etc. Or maybe discuss with those that are in charge that there are diabetics, gluten intolerants, and coeliacs in this world who cannot eat these, so maybe offer alternatives? Or make sure you have eaten a good meal before going so you aren't hungry.

Personally, it doesn't worry me one iota watching others tuck into these things. I tell myself they are eating their way to ill health.

Last edited:

Sally66

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I take your point Bluetit. You are quite right that it isn't good for anyone. I suppose I'm still getting used to this lifestyle change and occasionally feel bereft. If I had the time to host one then maybe I could look at those recipes. It was just easier not to go.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Eat before you go.
Eat a lot.
Of really yummy, filling, satisfying low carb food.
Then you won't be tempted.
:)

Reactions: Alison Campbell

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bullies & Cauliflower cheese
I just take a prepared packed lunch with me these days:D

Glink

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I pre-eat, bring something that I can eat, and/or stick to liquids only (wine is okay for me, as are things like a gin rickey). I like coffee & tea black, but with cream would also work for others. I make a joke out of my "liquid diet" and my friends stop offering to me--when they say things like "I feel so bad I can't offer you any treats!" I tell them, "Not feeling pressured to eat something that wouldn't be good for me IS a treat--thanks for being that friend I can just relax and have a god time around."

Growyourflow

Awesome! Pre-eating helps, but right around the time I was diagnosed as prediabetic I started utilizing non-invasive transdermal CO2 therapy, which by itself helps keep blood oxygenation levels up/BP levels down! I refuse to totally eliminate foods that make me happy, and my body will tell me how much is too much (plus a monitor)...I highly recommend you take a look at the science that supports this type of therapy for all the benefits-and it is affordable too

MuntiJay

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
eat before picnic, i always eat even before going to the shop :)

cz_dave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wine does not raise BG, drink as much as you like. The sandwiches - I would eat whatever is on top of the bread and leave the bread on the plate...

Beagler

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I pick a sandwich with a thick (low carb) filling and give the top bread to my husband...chow down on cocktail sausages and deep fried bits of chicken...fill my plate with salad or even the parsley/tomato garnish if there is no salad - but mainly EAT FIRST and drink plenty of water too. If your body is replete, food is less attractive!

JuliaAR

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi Sally66, I really know how you feel. It is really difficult sometimes to find anything suitable to eat at buffet parties. My step-daughter had a 40th birthday party recently and all that was on offer was sandwiches, pizza, quiche, sausage rolls, pastries and cakes, all of which are disaster for my low carb diet! I had eaten before in anticipation but the food was served so late that I was hungry by the time everyone else was eating so I ate the sandwich filling the sausage out of the sausage rolls and the topping from the pizza. No-one seemed to notice. When the birthday cake came around I pretended that I was full so was able to slide out of it quite easily. Since then I have always carried around a small bag of almonds and a good slab of cheese!

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Nuts and Babybels, they are always in my man-bag!
Another favourite of mine is to take a Lidl High Protein Roll with me to such occasions and transfer sandwich filling to it.

Mark_1

You could bake a load of low carb brownies, enough for everyone and take them along. Then just have one yourself. You'd be helping the host out at the same time as making sure there is something you can eat.