Blood Oxygen

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Something that isn't often mentioned here so I thought I would mention and see if anyone else has any experiences.

Entering my 5th month now of Low carb, at the outset I checked my blood oxygen levels and they were as they had been for the past 3 decades, at 95%.

I noticed when I went into hospital for an endoscopy 2 weeks ago that I had a level of 99%, so I thought in the following days I would check daily to see if it was a fluke.

Nope, I now consistently read at 99% blood oxygen no matter what time of day or night I check.

The only variable that has changed is consistency with my diet.

Suffice to say that I am thrilled and just wondered if anyone else had noticed similar changes outside of the normal reductions in blood glucose?

Also, I now have tight control of BP too, unmedicated, after 20 yrs of taking meds that didn't really do a great deal.

Low carb doesn't always get the credit it deserves, it is saving lives.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
should it ideally be 100% ? know nothing of what level it is supposed to be ?

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
should it ideally be 100% ? know nothing of what level it is supposed to be ?

95-100% is considered normal, below 90% is considered an issue. Higher the better is the target to aim for.

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
95% is good 100% would be perfect below 92% can be harmful if in the 80% range or lower you would need intervention.

I find there seems to be a correlation between BS and Blood oxygen when my BS is high my Blood Oxygen tends to be low. and visa versa.

Reactions: Jamesuk9

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I also smoked for 20 years and stopped... but was told from lung test that it didn´t show at all.... but don´t know what oxygen level my blood have..

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I also smoked for 20 years and stopped... but was told from lung test that it didn´t show at all.... but don´t know what oxygen level my blood have..

I always had great lung function too. I guess some of us were lucky enough to avoid the serious complications and find the common sense to quit before it killed us.

Anyone with serious blood oxygen issues would be aware of it anyway without the need to check it due to the obvious symptoms that arise.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
yes I am also so happy I did stop , everything smelled of those cigarettes ... it was so wonderfull to wake up with a fine clear taste in ones mouth and ones clothes smell of anything else than cigarettes... really hated to be a slave to nicotine.. always hated it, it took 3 serious tries to stop for good.... but now it is 12 years since the last smoke
And I must admit I would never have a partner that smoked again, ******* my whole environment up

Last edited:

kitsunerin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oooh I have no previous records of mine, but mine at the moment is 98%. I did smoke for about 6 years and now vape heavily.

kitsunerin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Im a heavy vaper, it has done nothing but benefit me.

I'm really hoping my health has at least improved from not smoking :) I'm so pleased vaping is an option, otherwise I'd still be smoking 20 a day at this point!

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm really hoping my health has at least improved from not smoking :) I'm so pleased vaping is an option, otherwise I'd still be smoking 20 a day at this point!

I have been vaping for 2 yrs and 5 months since I quit smoking on NY day 2015.

I was at zero nicotine by 9 months and now vape purely for flavour, to keep the sweet tooth and cravings under control.

I vape what I cant eat and it works brilliantly.

All my metabolic markers have improved considerably and I have no inclination to quit vaping.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Something that isn't often mentioned here so I thought I would mention and see if anyone else has any experiences.

Entering my 5th month now of Low carb, at the outset I checked my blood oxygen levels and they were as they had been for the past 3 decades, at 95%.

I noticed when I went into hospital for an endoscopy 2 weeks ago that I had a level of 99%, so I thought in the following days I would check daily to see if it was a fluke.

Nope, I now consistently read at 99% blood oxygen no matter what time of day or night I check.

The only variable that has changed is consistency with my diet.

Suffice to say that I am thrilled and just wondered if anyone else had noticed similar changes outside of the normal reductions in blood glucose?

Also, I now have tight control of BP too, unmedicated, after 20 yrs of taking meds that didn't really do a great deal.

Low carb doesn't always get the credit it deserves, it is saving lives.

You're doing even better than you thought, as ironically raised BG gives a high reading on pulse oximeters,
(Although they are only accurate to about 5% anyway)

D

Deleted member 308541

I bought a Clinical Guard Oximeter when I was discharged from hospital when I had AFib three years ago.

I just had a look at mine and my O2 is 98% and heart rate is 66 bpm at 5:45 am.

Edit: My fasting bgl was at 6.2 mmol/L at 5:15 am if this has any correlation or whatever with the above.

In hospital when I was having my blood tests for T2, my O2 and heart rate where off the planet in the first couple of days till they got the AFib under control.

Last edited by a moderator:

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
It would be interesting to check whenever you check your BG, and see if there is any relationship.

Reactions: kitsunerin