Could this be diabetes related? (Hand problem)

polly2032

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, I've been experiencing these symptoms and I'm wondering if this sounds like diabetic neuropathy. And, where carpal tunnel symptom goes in hand with diabetes. My history: 20 yrs diabetes, poor control. I've been cleaning as a job for last 8months. I also suffered from. Type of RA for number of years, but been clear for last 6yrs.
Symptoms: itchy palms (both) although could be unrelated... My hands get hot, burning sensation, numb sensation or tingly. Worse at night but also in day. Maybe these are hand spasms. I cannot open my fingers fully, so they are in a grip like state. I've also lost strength in my right arm and hand, plus apparently my right arms reflexes have increased in comparison with my left.

I went to my GP who scared the hell out of me. Wants me to follow it up. He's not sure it's diabetes related. He wasn't sure if it was a local problem or not. So, what's your take guys? I'm terrified the diabetes has caught up with me. I hate sickness altogether.

Thanks guys.
I've had T1 for over 20yrs. I've had carpal tunnel op on both hands .also have dupatron .my diabetes nurse it was a side affect of the insulin.I asked her my don't you tell patients about these probs with the insulin .get reply was it doesn't efect every body. I didn't dare ask her what else else I could possibly get appart from the obvious complications .

Steve14

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This started happening to me about a month ago. My arms were weakish as I let go of myself since my t1d diagnosis, but wanted to get my health under control. So with exercise I had a strong grip during exercise, and within just a few days my stamina significantly increased, but along this there was something unusual happening. My pinky finger started to get curled up in a position where I had to use my other hand to "fix it". It had to uncurled from the popped position. I stopped exercising 5 days ago and the pain from my arm/hand has diminished, but only during the daytime. When I wake up after sleep it's just as severe as it can be. I'm thinking it has something to do with restless leg syndrome during sleep, so chances are it will never heal until I get treatment for one another. :( But I also have psoriasis and Mum thinks it's psoriatic arthritis. I also had a genetic test done that put me high risk for Dupuytren's contracture, but then again.... it also shows slight risk for ALS (the first thing I thought of when it started happening). As you can imagine, I scared myself to death. Please calm me down! :arghh:

Woody53

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi,
My mum was T2 from when she was 40.
She developed Dupytrens contracture in both hands when she was in her early 60s and couldn't hold the steering wheel comfortably due to the tightness of the ring finger contractures.
She went to a Chinese herbalist and was given "herbs" to help sort out her blood sugars, which were often unstable, and encouraged to do hand rolling exercises with those Chinese "meditation/worry " balls that are about the size of pool balls.
Her BSs settled and her contractures released after some work! (Without surgery)
Her blood sugars were often thrown out of whack by the amount of instant coffee she drank.. Many, many cups/day.
I often thought there was something weird about the fact that she came from a family in which alcoholism had been prevalent and the research I did suggested that alcoholism and diabetes are often associated with Dupytrens contracture.
Not surprising in the sense that both affect the pancreas... Alcoholism often results in pancreatitis .
Interestingly I have the early signs of Dupytrens, on both hands, but at 64 have no signs of diabetes.. and the raised ligaments are not tight and painful, just lumpy.
. However I have followed LCHF for most of my adult life to avoid going down the same health path as my mother, so maybe that has made the difference.
Good luck with your hand problem
Woody

pattsy56a

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I would advise you to have it checked out. I suffer from Dupuytren’s contracture which is diabetes related and have these types of symptoms. Untreated the fingers will retract flat against the palm of the hand and become useless. The regular medical route is surgery and my diabetic practitioner told me not to let my fingers get stuck right against the palms because if that happens the only thing that they can do is to amputate the fingers. I have a deep distrust of the medical profession and surgery and if I think it is appropriate I look for relief from complimentary/alternative therapies, so I have been going to an osteopath for treatment for it. He has loosened the fingers up so that they are much more mobile and given me exercises to do between visits to prevent them clawing up. His treatment also eases the pain somewhat. I usually go to him once a month for treatment.

welovedzig

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Mr. Zig's aunt's hand is completely closed now, she has been offered a botox injection as she is too ill to have general anaesthetic. BUT this happened gradually after a stroke, so I would advise to get it sorted asap if you can :sorry:

rochari

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had diabetic cheiroarthropathy for a few years now and hopefully they will check Rachel for that too. What she has described is how this condition began for me. It affects my arms too and not just the hands. It's also known as Diabetic Prayer and I do that every night hoping that it will go away! Many folks describe how bad the finger stiffness is with this complication and I agree but I also have a lot of pain with it too. Trying to move my fingers and wrist is agony and now, on both hands, the fingers are starting to curl inwards. Bill

Steve14

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had diabetic cheiroarthropathy for a few years now and hopefully they will check Rachel for that too. What she has described is how this condition began for me. It affects my arms too and not just the hands. It's also known as Diabetic Prayer and I do that every night hoping that it will go away! Many folks describe how bad the finger stiffness is with this complication and I agree but I also have a lot of pain with it too. Trying to move my fingers and wrist is agony and now, on both hands, the fingers are starting to curl inwards. Bill

How could this happen? I've only been diagnosed 2 years ago and I'm in my late twenties. I had some stubborn days in the beginning (trying to accept being diabetic), but I used insulin each day and have been very strict to keep my A1C around 7 or below. It doesn't make sense to me? It's likely some form of celiac disease. Some years before my diagnosis I changed my diet and took bread out of my diet. Later on I reintroduced bread, and within 2 months I went from slim to overweight and had bouts of diarrhea too. I still eat bread to this day, but it's home made without added sugar. I want to quit it, but we couldn't find any substitute for it that comes with a good fullness/blood sugar ratio. For example, plain oatmeal sky rockets me for whatever reason, and can't eat it. My trigger finger is non-bilateral. I don't know what neuropathy feels like, but what I feel is more like a systemic inflammation. I have severe scalp psoriasis too.

rochari

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Steve, I'm more than 50 years on insulin, with very good HbA1c and the diabetic cheiroarthropathy is my first ever diabetic complication. I always fully appreciated that the they could start sometime and with lot of hard work they have stayed away, until now. In many ways I am fortunate though compared to the hellish things that have happened to others. Bill

Just_Me_Rachel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Fish
Hey. Thanks everyone for responding! I'm reading through these replies. Totally - freaking - me - out. The gripped fingers is in 3 middle fingers, the pain and numbness too, but also in thumb. No lump on palm of hands although both palms are itchy which could be unrelated. Totally - terrified. Surgery, injections, meds - all of it freaks me out. Hellz, I can't even have eye drops put in without a fuss!

Meant to see neurologist on Wednesday and have EMG test Wednesday too. I'm hoping it will all go away on its own.

Thanks for being here,
Rachel

genix

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had T1 40+ years and developed dupuytrens contracture in both hands also, it won't kill you of course but you may want to have surgery to release the contracture in your hands if that is what you have.

kitsunerin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Omg this is worrying.... I am an artist and have suffered with wrist pain for years. About 8 years ago I got diagnosed with dequervain's syndrome in my right hand and had an operation on it. It reduced the pain a lot but didn't stop it, the doctor just kind of shrugged it off. Now it's a lot better but I still occasionally get pain and flair-ups.

My legs are a whole other issue. For about 10 years I have been suffering from intense burning and tight pains in the back of both legs, I get numbness, pins and needles and cramps and my knees and ankles always click. Walking has become near impossible. I'm only 31 but I have to use a cane to go out anywhere. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia last year but now I'm wondering if it's diabetes related....

I've been diabetes for 15 years, very poorly controlled and now I'm feeling the consequences. I always assumed it was fibro related as my GP didn't suggest it could even be related to diabetes. I've been diagnosed with so much stuff now I'm wondering if it all comes down to this...