What should BG be 2 hour after a meal?

AlaskaRon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not Having Pizza!
I know you are suppose to test but I have never been told what range it should be in? is it suppose to be back to my normal range?

I am type 2

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
D

Deleted member 391597

Hi @Bluetit1802,

Can I just ask why you say the NHS guidelines are over generous? I have only been diagnosed for 7 weeks and haven't met with my consultant to discuss personal targets yet but have been using the NHS guidelines for now. I did think they seemed high myself compared to the targets I was given when I had gestational diabetes but assumed they were safe numbers because they were recommended by the NHS!

Reactions: AlaskaRon

AlaskaRon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not Having Pizza!
These are the over-generous NHS guidelines
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

The conversion to mg/dl is here
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-sugar-converter.html

It is a good plan to set your own targets, and you have to remember the higher you are before you eat, the higher you will be afterwards. If you keep the rise from before to after to under 1.5mmol/l you are doing great. (2mmol/ is the maximum)

Thanks, not sure why I thought it should be down to my normal level (5.1). I feel better now.

how long after you eat should it take for your BS to be down to the normal range?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Bluetit1802,

Can I just ask why you say the NHS guidelines are over generous? I have only been diagnosed for 7 weeks and haven't met with my consultant to discuss personal targets yet but have been using the NHS guidelines for now. I did think they seemed high myself compared to the targets I was given when I had gestational diabetes but assumed they were safe numbers because they were recommended by the NHS!
People set their own targets quite often to absolutely ensure that they never go anywhere near to being over the official guide lines. Some people know their own body well enough to set targets suitable for them which can be quite stringent when compared to others. You are at liberty to do the same. I suppose that the poster above has such good control that 8.5 seems too high.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
how long after you eat should it take for your BS to be down to the normal range?

The spike you may get after a meal can be quick, slow, high or low since it all depends on what you ate. Low carbs will result in a lower spike. High fat will result in a later rise in blood glucose. A meal consisting of all sorts will be difficult to predict and people are only learning about them now due to devices like the Libre.

The official guidance of being lower than 8.5 after two hours is a bit too generalised for some people but it is a guide that you can work to.

lindisfel

Expert
One has to remember BG machines are not accurate devices, they can be +or - 20%! If you are using them for any more than an indication (unless you have two different ones to compare) perhaps get your personal machine checked against your diabetic nurses machine next visit to surgery? Then you could use a possible correction factor. D.

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Bluetit1802,

Have a search for Dr Bernstein, he has been type 1 for donkeys years, is now in his 80's, fit as a butchers dog. He explains why he believes you should aim for the same tight control as a non-diabetic

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The 8.5 is just a general guide as to what is a good level after food so anything under that is fine. It may be to high for some people so they try to get lower. Don't get hung up on what other peoples blood levels are we are all very different when it comes to what our own body does and some may get lower than others. My own normal blood levels rarely go below the 6's at any time and will be higher after food but I try not to go over the 8.5 I am happy with that and My HbA1c says my diabetes is controlled.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Bluetit1802,

Hi,

I was answering the original poster who is Type 2 and not on insulin (as far as his profile indicates). I see you are T1 and on insulin so that makes a difference. I don't know anything about targets for T1s so it is probably a good plan to use the NHS guidelines until you speak with your consultant.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I used post meal readings at 2 hours to check that I did not see rises of over 2 whole numbers, and also that my reaction to certain set meals were reducing, indicating that there has been a change in my ability to cope with carbs - encouraging good control and keeping up exercise.