athletes foot and type 1

hismom

hi,
my 14 year old son has recently got athletes foot. I went to the chemist for some cream as he has had it before he was diagnoised and this is what we did. They have sold me some cream but have said that I need to take him to the doctors. It is very minor at the moment. I just wondered how anyone else handles this as I knw it will take days to get an appointment.

steph

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
Hi Steph,
I would get hold of your diabetese nurse and get her to arrange an appointment with a podiatrist who can check out his feet and give the correct treatment, very few over the counter remedies are suitable for the feet of diabetics. Hope this helps,
Suzi x

hismom

Hi Suzi,
I did manage to talk to her this morning but as it is only very light in one toe and the cream has helped she suggested that we continue with it . Do you think i should go to the doctor anyway?

steph

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
Hi Steph,
Which ever puts your mind at rest, either give it a couple of days , see if the cream clears it up, then to go to the Dr's, or go to the Dr's now. I always found with Andrew even the slightest infection or problem put his bs up, (he suffered with verruccas for 14 months, podiatrist every week) Then make an appointment to see a podiatrist, they can then inform you on the best foot care for your soon to keep athletes foot at bay.
Suzi x

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A few years ago, as newly diagnosed adult, I went to buy clotrimazole cream (cheaper than Canesten) to be prepared for 1 month of wet feet, leading an expedition to Costa Rica in the rainy season. I'd worked there for 5 months through the dry (but nothing is dry in rainforest!) season before diagnois, so knew that atheletes foot was a dinstinct possibilty, despite allowing feet & footwear to dry out whenever possible. The pharmacy assistant recognised that I'd got my insulin etc there recently, but didn't know that I was a registered general nurse, with extensive travel & expedition experience, had written articles and book chapters on expedition health etc, btu I wasn't impressed when she confused Canesten cream for feet with Canesten pessaries for vaginal thrush, as I'd specifically asked for "clotrimazole cream for feet". Not sure she even knew where Costa Rica is (tropical Central America), which is relevent if you're aiming to give travel health advice.