annoyed and upset (not diabetic related)

theblokefromstoke

Dislikes
Pizza (makes my BG go through the roof), Pasta & potatoes.
Hiya,

As the title says, i am upset today but not with the diabetes - just this.

we have a caravan - its beautiful and we store it beside our garage in the garden. It has a lovely big clear sun roof covering all the lounge area. We are booked in for 2 weeks in cornwall from next week.

I went in yesterday when the sun was out and opened a few windows to air it a little and thought i would enjoy today cleaning and polishing it ready for our holiday. God knows i am lokking forward to it after the events of this year. All was well.

Went out this morning and opened the blind on the sun roof only to see it covered in black stuff and something strange. On further looking it is one of those chinese lanterns that you light and it floats into the sky. The thing has come down obviously still hot and burning, sat burning on my roof for a while and ruined the sun roof. It as all burned, twisted out of shape and looks awful.

Of course, i am insured but with only a week to go, this just isn't going to get repaired. my wife has been sobbing all day as the van cost us best part of 20 thousand and we really are looking forward to the holiday.

I face the dilemna whether to go away gingerley with our burned roof van and hope it doesnt break off or leak buckets. Or cancel the hols and stay at home. The kids are now grown up but still live with us and happily don't come away with us - its usually the two of us plus coco our jack russell. I am ringing the insurers in the morning to see if they can help.

Gutted

carl

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Re: anoyed and upset (not diabetic related)

Devastating - very sorry to hear that. I hope you will be able to enjoy your holiday.

But only this morning I read the latest free offer from Staple stationary: FREE Flying Lanterns!

kateincornwall

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who lie , animal cruelty , boredom and pineapple !

I`d still go on holiday Carl and risk it but then I`m biased because I live in Cornwall ! I know this might sound stupid but is there any way you could patch over it as a temp. measure ? I know it wont look very nice but it may offer some protection ? I`m also a Jack Russell fan so hope Coco enjoys the holiday too and that your insurers sort this for you, its more than annoying

jenrose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
very cold and very hot weather

What a devastating consequence of something that would of been of enjoyment to someone. These things could be very dangerous. The insurance company should pay out but this takes time and will not help with the problem of your holiday. I wouldn't like to suggest that you go on holiday with the caravan as a downpour could cause even more damage? Did you have holiday cancellation insurance as this would be a good reason to claim? Could you afford to hire a caravan for this time? Hope you do eventually visit cornwall which is a lovely part of the UK. We used to have a caravan and a Jack Russell dog as well. Sadly our Susie passed away in April.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
As a practical person and a Caravanner I would get plenty of Duct Tape, plastic sheeting and get a temporary repair done. I certainly wouldn't cancel anything. I've had worse disasters befall my own van and with a bit of ingenuity nothing is insurmountable. If you dont feel confident about DIY then get the supplying dealer or a local one to make the temp repair.

Enjoy the holiday........ :D

Ken

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
Hi Carl,
have to agree with Ken 100 %, i would patch it up and go and enjoy beautiful Cornwall. What happened to your caravan is very unfortunate, but as long as its towable, inhabitable, and dry (with the aid of duct tape) i'd stock her up and be ready for an enjoyable 2 weeks vaccation.
all the best,
Suzi x

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Sorry to hear what happened to your lovely caravan.

Watch out for Jeremy Clarkson :lol: :lol: :lol:

Have a lovely holiday and I wish you glorious weather :)

theblokefromstoke

Dislikes
Pizza (makes my BG go through the roof), Pasta & potatoes.
Hi all,

Feel better now, sorry for the miserable posting. I have patched it up with some clear sealant and as advised (thanks Ken & Suzie) I have wrapped a load of duct tape round to stop it splitting. The insurers have arranged for repairs but Bailey caravans shut down apparently for 4 weeks so it will be the end of August until it will be fixed.

We are now just really looking forward to our Hoilday - we are staying near to marazion on a Caravan Club site called threeways. we have been to the same place for the past 6 years and love Cornwall (you lucky thing kate).

It is now absolutly pounding down with rain here in Stoke so it has been a good test for my repair job :)

I am taking my Vodafone card and laptop with me, not to mention the scales so I watch what I eat and all my tablets and testing kit. I will keep in touch on my holidays as this forum and all on it have been a god send this year.

I will try and find out how to post some pics on here - my dog Coco is simply gorgeous and she has not been to the seaside before. She is quite looking forward to a boat trip round St Michaels mount.

All the best Carl

fliss

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I'm thinking
glad you made a good job of your repair, I would be gutted if I coundn't go to Cornwall in my van as well.

We aretrying to get a new cover for the A frame on ours and Elddis are on a shut down as well for 3 weeks.

Enjoy your holiday xxx

viv1969

Hi Carl

Glad to see you are feeling better, and looking forward to your holiday.
We stayed on a caravan site also near Marazion last September. What a beautiful area! So many wonderful places within striking distance, i can see why you back year after year, I really can.

Have a great time!!