Type 1 Type one (& insulin weight gain?)

Nidge247

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Kevin_squires_

It's the excess carbs you eat above what your body needs which makes you pile on the weight; if you follow LCHF you can lose those extra pounds in most cases.

Carbs go hand in hand with insulin for most T1's, hence why the link is often made while on a higher carb (normal) lifestyle. I'm sure @azure will be along soon with more detail

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Insulin doesn't cause weight gain, but if, as @Nidge says, you eat more carbs than you need, then, yes, you can put on weight.

Sometimes too, people's insulin doses aren't quite right, so they're having to eat extra to treat hypos.

The best way to get/stay a healthy weight is to eat what your body needs, take the right amounts of insulin, and keep active.

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Weight gain is a side effect of insulin that can occur in some people, but not everyone. If you are concerned about your weight, ask your doctor about a suitable weight target and how to change your lifestyle to attain it. Not taking your insulin in an attempt to lose weight is very dangerous, but adjusting your diet and exercise routine can be very helpful, especially if done with a doctor's help.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Kevin_squires_ ,

I'm no "diet guru" by any stretch of the imagination. Lol

It's the amount of carbohydrate (or the type of carbs.) consumed that one boluses for...

Maintaining safe blood sugar levels should always be paramount regarding any weightloss diet program.
Good luck!

I noticed a thread of your's a while back.. Edit. (Link removed. Thread merge.)

Last edited:
D

Deleted Account

Lack of insulin means your body cannot get the energy it needs from the usual method. Therefore, it starts to burn off your fat and muscle to stay alive. As a result, untreated diabetes can result in weight loss. Another side effect of this is ketones which can be fatal. However, this does not stop some people holding back their insulin as a method to lose weight.
When you start injecting insulin, you may see yourself gain weight. I do not believe this weight gain is caused by insulin. I see it entirely as lack of insulin causing weight loss.

Jen92'

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I cannot say for sure or with any scientific fact but I know for me having been on insulin for nearly a year my weight has stayed stable, having gained 1lb from the day of diagnosis however this is just my own personal experience.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi there, after I was diagnosed I with type 1, I put the weight back on, but now over a few decades, I am about 6 lbs heavier, I am aged 59.
Are you already taking Insulin ?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi I answered on your other thread.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I answered on your other thread.

You mean this thread? Edit (Link removed. Thread merged.)

Would you like me to merge the three threads you have regarding insulin & weight gain @Kevin_squires_ ?
It may help with more replies to your question?

Last edited:

Gemma2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Insulin doesn't cause weight gain BUT what you put in your mouth does.

JacquiMorrison

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My understanding is insulin lowers your sugars making you more hungry so tend to eat more. Unsure if the actual insulin itself makes you gain weight. Hopefully someone knows a bit more than me

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I cannot say for sure or with any scientific fact but I know for me having been on insulin for nearly a year my weight has stayed stable, having gained 1lb from the day of diagnosis however this is just my own personal experience.
I'm with Jen92 - last 20 years my weight has only fluctuated by 5 pounds - usually in the winter months as I'm less active at that time so I gain weight. I basically control my weight thru the quantity and types of food I eat combined with exercise. It seems to be the best approach.

Hoping4Cure

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yes, insulin is a hunger and growth hormone. Bodybuilders take it to get massive.

A type 1 person's goal should be to take as little of it as possible, by avoiding carbs and simple sugars. That also helps avoid hypo reactions from over-corrections.

Reactions: michita

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
insulin is an anabolic steroid. It drives energy into glycogen stores in the muscles and into the liver. Anything tht does not get immediately used gets stored as triglycerides (fat). At the same time the presence of insulin inhibits the use of existing fat supplies as it signals that there is food available for use and stores should be conserved! Rapid rises nd falls in blood sugar will cause hunger for carbohydrates. The more highly processed the carbs, the larger the amount the greater the insulin required to deal with the food. So in short, the answer is yes!

D

Deleted Account

My understanding is insulin lowers your sugars making you more hungry so tend to eat more. Unsure if the actual insulin itself makes you gain weight. Hopefully someone knows a bit more than me
That is not how insulin works for me. I am more likely t be hungry when I have high BG as I do not have enough insulin t break down the glucose into energy. When my BG is low, I don't feel like eating ... which is a problem when I need to treat hypos.

Hoping4Cure

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Having high sugar and being hungry are not mutually exclusive, but it's definitely frustrating when you're ready for dinner and check your sugars and you're already really high. Doh