Cannula site bad days

JimC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all, I'm having a really ****** cannula site day today. No site seems to be working bg not going below 17! Have now tried a site I've never used before, lower back so hope that works. Out of interest what sites do others use? I have tried my legs but again really slow absorption rate. I usually use my tummy but really need to give it a rest.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @JimC sorry to hear this, cannula sites can be a pain, literally. I rotate using a clock method around my tummy, so I do 12 o'clock, then opposite side at 6 o'clock and keep moving around my tum so giving each site around 2 weeks rest. I have tried my back but it interfered with sleep, you could try the back of your arm depending on how long your tubing is.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
I use my arms as well as tummy
( on an omnipod so no tubes )

it might be worth a try if you can keep the tube sorted for comfort and practicality.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use the back of my spare tyre. So kind of where I'd put it on my tummy if I used my tummy (wrecked from 29 years of injections!) BUT round the sides of my back, if that makes sense.

Warning - this might put you off your tea.....

image.jpeg

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use the back of my spare tyre. So kind of where I'd put it on my tummy if I used my tummy (wrecked from 29 years of injections!) BUT round the sides of my back, if that makes sense.

Warning - this might put you off your tea.....

View attachment 22883
Hi @Snapsy . I'm sorry but I think Bradley Wiggins had a bigger spare tyre for his bike when he won the Tour de France.:):):):):):)

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Pffffffff! Letting it all hang out, @therower !

Had tried to find a different pic but could only find that one - couldn't bring myself to semi-strip off for a new pic as it's flipping freezing, and this thread is more about cannula sites than Snapsy's goosepimples........!!!

;)

Reactions: Dairygrade and JimC

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I've found my sides have a good absorption rate, worst site to date has been my legs.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I zig zag mine across my stomach, separating left side from right, so start top just off centre then move move towards back and after row is used I move down and start next row. Once one side is done I move over to the other side. Once stomach is done I move to upper arms.

I use my legs as a back up if they are needed.

Reactions: Snapsy

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I like stabby stickers - i'll be using that one from now on :)

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Glad your sugars have normalised @JimC. I also use the space just above my love handles @Snapsy - no spare tyre there . I always seem to rip mine out when I use my thigh!

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I can't use my stomach after years if injecting there. My arms are also too thin and I wear my libre sensors there. I use my hips (starting just outside my stomach area) all the way round to my back and this works really well. I can go quite close to the spine without issue but I am careful not to sleep on them when they are in the back or side as they occlude in the night if I do. I also use the area just abouve my waist but below my ribs and boobs. I get a row of 4-5 sets there and it works well.

At some point I expect to get a little site fatigue even though I rotate etc so then I will force myself to try my bottom!!

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hi all, I'm having a really ****** cannula site day today. No site seems to be working bg not going below 17! Have now tried a site I've never used before, lower back so hope that works. Out of interest what sites do others use? I have tried my legs but again really slow absorption rate. I usually use my tummy but really need to give it a rest.
Tummy, legs, bum ... but having said that - at one time and this was back in the 1970s I got lazy and just injected in to my legs - the technology was much more primitive back then - needles were larger and eventually I was getting all this scar tissue forming on my legs so I moved on to the stomach and after 4 or 5 years I started getting scar tissue developing on my stomach. Then something amazingly good happened - the pharmaceutical industry started making much finer and smaller needles. I use a very small needle now and have done so over the past 10 years and no scar tissue - most of the time I don;t even feel the needle as they are so fine.
As well, I don;t know if there is a correlation as I'm in my 50s now but - I was giving myself way more insulin as a teen with duller needles than I am now. Not sure if this is indicative of a finer needle or simply a changing metabolism.
But my advice - check the gauge/size of your needles - try something smaller if you're able. See if that makes a difference.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use my hips (starting just outside my stomach area) all the way round to my back and this works really well. I can go quite close to the spine without issue but I am careful not to sleep on them when they are in the back or side as they occlude in the night if I do.
This area works great for me. Except sometimes, if they're too far round and almost on my side, I find they get owwy when getting in and out of the car!

Reactions: JimC