Injection sites

JacquiMorrison

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Some ideas on where to inject, how often to rotate, and what helps reduce lumps and prevent pain? Been T1 Diabetic for almost 16 years and I'm only 23, starting to struggle for areas

TallGiraffe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Some ideas on where to inject, how often to rotate, and what helps reduce lumps and prevent pain? Been T1 Diabetic for almost 16 years and I'm only 23, starting to struggle for areas

Hello!
It might be worth speaking to your DSN/consultant about changing needle length? I used to use 6mm needles, but my boyfriend uses 4mm, I switched to his and I actually get a lot less bruising/bleeding now. Might be worth a chat about whether they think this could help you?

Reactions: Juicyj

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Basal - backs of arms, legs and bum.

Bolus - abdomen, sides and backs of arms.

I use one side of my abdomen per week. If you look at the template in the link below, and imagine each of the holes is one day:

http://www.bd.com/us/diabetes/page.aspx?cat=7001&id=7282

As for the basal, I typically favour my bum for that. Divide each cheek in two half's, and use each half for a week.

I find the above gives all the areas a fairly good rest and it is a simple enough rotation to follow:)

JacquiMorrison

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello!
It might be worth speaking to your DSN/consultant about changing needle length? I used to use 6mm needles, but my boyfriend uses 4mm, I switched to his and I actually get a lot less bruising/bleeding now. Might be worth a chat about whether they think this could help you?

Yea I use 4mm it's prevented bruising like you said which is brilliant however still sore so I think it's more a rotational and site problem I have

JacquiMorrison

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Basal - backs of arms, legs and bum.

Bolus - abdomen, sides and backs of arms.

I use one side of my abdomen per week. If you look at the template in the link below, and imagine each of the holes is one day:

http://www.bd.com/us/diabetes/page.aspx?cat=7001&id=7282

As for the basal, I typically favour my bum for that. Divide each cheek in two half's, and use each half for a week.

I find the above gives all the areas a fairly good rest and it is a simple enough rotation to follow:)

How do you find injecting your arms? I stopped my arms when I was 15 due to lumps and just presumed I wouldn't be able to do this because I can't reach properly or pinch the skin?
Thank you

NinaB73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was like you and running out of sites, still am if I'm honest, I can no longer get results out of my arms. I have discovered my buttocks!!! My basal usually goes there or the sides of my thighs and I'm surprised at how comfortable it is!!! bolus is still the trusty abdomen but I wish there was somewhere else I could get the same results.

Reactions: JacquiMorrison

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How do you find injecting your arms? I stopped my arms when I was 15 due to lumps and just presumed I wouldn't be able to do this because I can't reach properly or pinch the skin?
Thank you
Arms are actually a lot easier to inject than I first thought - once I got the technique sorted...

I hold my arm out in front (perpendicular to the floor), with my palm facing up. I then come in from the underside with the pen. Holding my arm that way seems to relax it the best and allow for minimal pain and a straightforward injection.

The use of a mirror REALLY helps too:)

It's quite amazing just how much fat and how large an area there is on the back of your arm, even for the most slim and toned people.

JacquiMorrison

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was like you and running out of sites, still am if I'm honest, I can no longer get results out of my arms. I have discovered my buttocks!!! My basal usually goes there or the sides of my thighs and I'm surprised at how comfortable it is!!! bolus is still the trusty abdomen but I wish there was somewhere else I could get the same results.

Yea I totally relate to this. I put my basal in my hips or upper buttocks, and bolus in my stomach when I'm away from home and in my thighs when I'm at home. Think I might take some advice from this thread and try my arms again for the bolus!

Reactions: NinaB73

JacquiMorrison

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Arms are actually a lot easier to inject than I first thought - once I got the technique sorted...

I hold my arm out in front (perpendicular to the floor), with my palm facing up. I then come in from the underside with the pen. Holding my arm that way seems to relax it the best and allow for minimal pain and a straightforward injection.

The use of a mirror REALLY helps too:)

It's quite amazing just how much fat and how large an area there is on the back of your arm, even for the most slim and toned people.

Wow that sounds adventurous - arm out? I was thinking put my arm across my torso and inject that way? I will try what you said and give it a shot. Ha.. pun unintentional. Thank you again appreciate your help

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@JacquiMorrison I actually find that the bolus works a lot more quickly in my arms than my legs - I only recently started using my arms, but it has worked wonders for getting a reasonably decent response after a meal, rather than continuing to climb for two or three hours first.

I also find @GrantGam s method to be very good - wrapping your arm across the torso seems to create a bit too much tension and makes it painful. If you are nervous, try sitting down at a table or a desk, holding your arm out in front of you and gently relaxing it so the elbow comes to rest on the table, creating a kind of 'v' shape with your arm, and then go from there. :)

Reactions: emmay and Juicyj

JacquiMorrison

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@JacquiMorrison I actually find that the bolus works a lot more quickly in my arms than my legs - I only recently started using my arms, but it has worked wonders for getting a reasonably decent response after a meal, rather than continuing to climb for two or three hours first.

I also find @GrantGam s method to be very good - wrapping your arm across the torso seems to create a bit too much tension and makes it painful. If you are nervous, try sitting down at a table or a desk, holding your arm out in front of you and gently relaxing it so the elbow comes to rest on the table, creating a kind of 'v' shape with your arm, and then go from there. :)

Brilliant, thank you! I will try this

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Wow that sounds adventurous - arm out? I was thinking put my arm across my torso and inject that way? I will try what you said and give it a shot. Ha.. pun unintentional. Thank you again appreciate your help

The way that @GrantGam has explained is very effective.

Also another way, with the arm that your going to inject in put your hand on the opposite shoulder and come in underneath with the pen, on injections I always injected my bolus doses in my stomach & arms and basal dose in bum & legs.

For comfort and to help prevent lipo issues use a new needle with every injection @JacquiMorrison

maria030660

Dislikes
backstabbers, brocoli and dirt toilets...uggghhhh
I have been a t1 for more then 30 year since and I was getting black an blue all over after all that time and it was painful. I put my fist on the table for a pump and my teeth and since 5 years I have one and it's magic just put a new line in once every three days

Reactions: JacquiMorrison

JacquiMorrison

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have been a t1 for more then 30 year since and I was getting black an blue all over after all that time and it was painful. I put my fist on the table for a pump and my teeth and since 5 years I have one and it's magic just put a new line in once every three days

Do you have to pay for a pump?

maria030660

Dislikes
backstabbers, brocoli and dirt toilets...uggghhhh
No it should be on the NHS but there are some rules. You need to have the DAFNE course completed. Use link
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/insulin-pump-eligibility-tool.86471/ and it tells you if you eligible for one. If ok you should tell your care team you want one. if they start eh....tell them its your body not them having to stick needles in morning noon and night;)

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @JacquiMorrison - gaining access to a pump could help you hugely with your control, have a chat with your DSN when you next meet, explain your situation and issues and see what they say, each trust has their own procedures in regards to access but generally if you show them you are trying your best and working at this then they will be receptive to supporting you :)

jnk001

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

When I was injecting I found by bottom to be the best area as it is large so you can vary the sites easily.

it took a bit of getting used to at first but soon very easy and only used stomach etc when in a restaurant etc

Joe1056

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Arrogant people who say they know all about diabetes but don't actually have it, hate them!
I was told by my DSN to inject into my bum for both types if possible, but if not very private, then use my legs. Always found it to act quickly and it's easy to be discreet.