hitting a blood vessel

gili

Is hitting a blood vessel while inserting a device or giving an injection a concern for you? How much of a concern?

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is hitting a blood vessel while inserting a device or giving an injection a concern for you? How much of a concern?
Not really. Why, is it something you're especially concerned about?

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You can tell when you have hit a small blood vessel and you start to put your insulin in to you as it burns and then stings and then you have to wait until the feeling has gone and the blood to stop before you can you can put everything away and you can sort out your insulin pen and put it away and then you can do what you want afterwards .

gili

Not really. Why, is it something you're especially concerned about?

My wife is diabetic type 1 and she is afraid of hitting a blood vessel every time she inserts a cannula or a pen,
It happens quite a lot to her resulting in pain, re inserting ect..
I was wondering if it worries/any trouble for other people as well

Moosepig

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes, people who think they know everything!
My wife is diabetic type 1 and she is afraid of hitting a blood vessel every time she inserts a cannula or a pen,
It happens quite a lot to her resulting in pain, re inserting ect..
I was wondering if it worries/any trouble for other people as well
I've hit capillaries quite a few times when testing - apart from the surprise of seeing a fine red mist coming out of my finger, causing a bit of a mess on the work surface, its not bothered me - surprised maybe! Id never considered the problem of hitting a vessel when injecting before - must be quite unlucky......and painful!

gili

Have you encountered a situation of blood glucose level rising beyond normal, despite performing a correct process of inserting the sensor / cannula or injecting insulin ?

Nomi

Hi, I've had this with my pump cannulas recently. Every time I seemed to bleed. For me, and it might not be the same as everyone else, if after an hour or so bolusing insulin it still stings then I will change my site. I have experienced uneven insulin delivery in the past from these stinging/bleeding sites- bg unexpectedly high, or random very fast hypos.
I think the easiest thing is to try and move away from the area you hit whilst it heals up. I try and switch my cannula between my stomach and sides to give things time to heal.

Reactions: himtoo