The Fool Learns NOTHING!

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Out with friends, let my guard down. 29.8 and feeling sick. What the hell was I thinking.....? God give me strength!!!

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You were just having a day off ... yes you are feeling horrid at the moment .. but remember this and be more careful next time .. yes there will be a next time .. O and check for ketones with sugar that high !!

Edit to add .. please do check for ketones .. If your feeling unwell as well.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Lots of water, drink iced water - take a cold shower or sit in a cold bath, do some gentle exercise, maybe clean out the freezer and put all the ice in the bath, take another bath - shivering uses up blood glucose.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I think it's a diabetic version of a hangover, you know when you wake up feeling awful and say never again.

Reactions: Ultramum

alaska

I'd advise against the shivering in ice though.

There was a recent news story in either The Independent or Telegraph that said that shivering was good for blood glucose. I checked the studies being referred to and they stated low temperatures but above a shivering level. So lack of care in the reporting by whichever of those newspapers it was.

Shivering temperature could raise risk of hypothermia so I'd personally say to avoid this.

Keep doing the right things and your sugars will come back down over the next few days.

Use these high levels as a constructive lesson learned.

Take care

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Oh @leslie10152 were you drinking bottle after bottle of sweet (fruit) ciders?
I had 2 one day (pre insulin) and I was high for days!
I think it took me 3 days to resettle my sugars. I said "never again".
We've all been there. Afterall we are diabetic. None diabetics would get an elevation too but their good insulin would bring it down and their liver would absorb the alcohol to filter then they'd add weight if too many calories.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I will say again .... please do check for ketones .. If your feeling unwell as well.
Let us know your ok

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sending strength, @leslie10152 . Hope you'll feel much better soon.

Today is just today. Done. Sorted. Tomorrow is a whole new day.

Do let us know how you're doing when you get the chance. You've got lots of friends here!

:)

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hope you're feeling better. I did a similar thing with fish and chips a while ago. I normally skip the chips and take the batter off the fish, but ate a bit too much of both and felt ill for 2 days.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I think we've all done something unwise at one time or another and, as someone before said, this is a carb hangover. Drink loads of water and have a very low carb day tomorrow. :)

Reactions: Ultramum

SueNSW

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh @leslie10152 - hope you're feeling better - but bet it seemed worth it at the time!!

(I think I'm another naughty one on here!!)

I've had the Diabetic Clinic here in Newcastle tell me that EVERYONE over indulges and spikes occasionally - some admit it, some don't - I guess it's just how high. I know I have now and again, but haven't been that high - mid teens from memory and certainly never felt ill

Once again hope you've recovered

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
We're not 'naughty' - none of us is naughty. We are human, and we are leading challenging lives with diabetes, which isn't easy.

We don't deserve a smacked bottom if things don't go to plan from time to time! We are not naughty!

Hugs all round, methinks.

Love Snapsy
xxx

:):):)

Reactions: Deia

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry, disagree, you were naughty but who of us can say we have never been naughty! It is a life sentence to watch others eat and drink all the things we want but can't have and sometimes it just becomes too much and we fall off the wagon. The important thing is to pick yourself up and get back on the wagon and not do it too often.

DiabeticDadUK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Out with friends, let my guard down. 29.8 and feeling sick. What the hell was I thinking.....? God give me strength!!!

Don't beat yourself up over this. You're a human being, not a machine and I doubt there's a diabetic of any type that hasn't lost some control at some stage.

I hope you feel better soon.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
It's just a blip. I drank alcohol a couple of weeks ago, ( very rarely drink) omg, was I sick, yep, three times, plus the huge BS.

Hope you your BS comes down soon, but any problems with ketones, phone 111 or the equavalent in your country for help and advice, take care x

SueNSW

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@Snapsy - sorry it was said sort of tongue in cheek - but I've been on the receiving end of what seemed like a verbal smacked bottom for a few things I consider a bit "naughty but nice" - like shock horror - drinking alcohol while taking Metformin!!!!

Hope I'm forgiven :)

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Snapsy - sorry it was said sort of tongue in cheek - but I've been on the receiving end of what seemed like a verbal smacked bottom for a few things I consider a bit "naughty but nice" - like shock horror - drinking alcohol while taking Metformin!!!!

Hope I'm forgiven :)
Gosh, absolutely no apology needed, @SueNSW - it's just I've spent the last several decades trying trying trying to be the 'good girl' I only was only ever considered to be when my blood sugar was in range! As a child I knew what 'good girl' meant - but always had great difficulty in relating it to my diabetes, because as far as I could tell, I hadn't ever been a 'naughty girl' to make my blood sugar high. But that's the message I was always given. I know at my advanced age I should be over this by now!

I wasn't trying to tread on anyone's toes with the 'naughty' thing - it's just a very personal thing, I suppose. I try my very hardest not to view the issues I have with my blood glucose levels (often) as being down to good or bad behaviour.

Sorry if I came across abruptly - I hope I haven't upset anyone!

xxx

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd advise against the shivering in ice though.

There was a recent news story in either The Independent or Telegraph that said that shivering was good for blood glucose. I checked the studies being referred to and they stated low temperatures but above a shivering level. So lack of care in the reporting by whichever of those newspapers it was.

Shivering temperature could raise risk of hypothermia so I'd personally say to avoid this.

Keep doing the right things and your sugars will come back down over the next few days.

Use these high levels as a constructive lesson learned.

Take care
Given your username, I'm confident you know what you're talking about:)