High blood sugar at morning

Bassiette

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
candy etc
Hello guys this week i lost control to my diabetes it's alway high in morning but after meals it's good it was 123 143 fasting at last couple of days my friend told me the lantus may be corrected and I should use new pen
Meanwhile temp goes high as im from Middle East and i always keep my lantus and actrapid out of refrigerator should i keep inside it as the instructions says keep opened items and do not refregirate
I don't know are both corrupted or just the lantus I can't keep myself controlled and every half an hour i need to go to toilet .I need your advice
I take 25 iu from lantus usally enough but problems appear this week
Sorry for Bad English

Reactions: Freema

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello guys this week i lost control to my diabetes it's alway high in morning but after meals it's good it was 123 143 fasting at last couple of days my friend told me the lantus may be corrected and I should use new pen
Meanwhile temp goes high as im from Middle East and i always keep my lantus and actrapid out of refrigerator should i keep inside it as the instructions says keep opened items and do not refregirate
I don't know are both corrupted or just the lantus I can't keep myself controlled and every half an hour i need to go to toilet .I need your advice
I take 25 iu from lantus usally enough but problems appear this week
Sorry for Bad English
You may be experiencing low BG during the night which is causing rebound hypoglycemia. Have you tested your BG overnight to check?

Dawn phenomenon is something that cannot be ruled out either:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-glucose/dawn-phenomenon.html

When do you take your Lantus? If it's in the morning, it may not be lasting the claimed 24 hours and could explain why you are high upon waking.

High temps can cause insulin to become useless, have you changed your pen cartridges to rule that out? It's not recommended, or practical, to keep your in use insulin refrigerated. Have you considered the use of a cooling wallet like the one below? I would have thought this would be essential living in a hot climate like yours.

https://friouk.com/product/frio-duo/

You say that you can't keep your diabetes controlled but also that your BG after eating is good- which one is it?

Reactions: genix

Bassiette

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
candy etc
No i take lantus before bedtime
My blood glucose level was very good but it got Disturbed only this week i will see dawn phenomona and try to incraese lantus dose thank for your feedback

Reactions: Anne999

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No i take lantus before bedtime
My blood glucose level was very good but it got Disturbed only this week i will see dawn phenomona and try to incraese lantus dose thank for your feedback
I wouldn't increase your Lantus dose until you've made certain that you're not having nocturnal hypos. Our bodies can become more sensitive to insulin (both basal and bolus) in higher temperatures. Given that we're heading into the warmer months, you may find that you need less basal insulin and possibly less bolus.

However, until you've checked your BG overnight you won't know.

Reactions: Anne999 and Sibyl

Bassiette

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
candy etc
I was thinking that i should start with new penfill maybe old got corrupted by heat and for reservation used insulin in refregirator as temp raise to 40 degree Celsius at day
Can i use this container for used insulin out fridge blue part should be in deep freezer 7 hours before use
8ca449c554b7ced6421f17e5063c1100.jpg

Bassiette

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
candy etc
I wanna to say i test myself before launch i was 280 mg/dl and i took basal again and bolus and after 2 hours i was 111 mg/dl so i think lantus penfill became corrupted

Bassiette

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
candy etc
For used insulin can i put it in fridge as temp here passes 40 degree so most of my insulin wil be corrupted by heat please help

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was thinking that i should start with new penfill maybe old got corrupted by heat and for reservation used insulin in refregirator as temp raise to 40 degree Celsius at day
Can i use this container for used insulin out fridge blue part should be in deep freezer 7 hours before use

If you have doubts about your insulin, it's always best to discard it and start a new cartridge.

I have no idea if you can use that container or not. Looking at the photo, I don't actually understand where you plan on putting your insulin anyway...?

My advice, buy yourself a cooling wallet/container specifically designed for insulin.

I wanna to say i test myself before launch i was 280 mg/dl and i took basal again and bolus and after 2 hours i was 111 mg/dl so i think lantus penfill became corrupted
Why did you take your basal at lunch if you normally take it in the evening? Regarding your BG drop from 280mg/dL to 111mg/dL - that wouldn't have been caused by the lunchtime Lantus dose, as it takes a lot longer than that to start working.

Bassiette

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
candy etc
I test myself at night was 76 mg/dl and at morning was 83 mg/dl

Bassiette

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
candy etc
Can i put my lantus in fridge the weathrr is too hot

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Do you mean your current in-use pen? If the temp is above 86°F then it's best kept cool in a fridge, but just be mindful that lantus can sting when it's cold so expect a little discomfort when injecting.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Bassiette; I don't know how many more times I can answer the same question...

Get yourself a cooling wallet specifically designed for insulin storage. This means that you can carry your insulin with you as well, which is pretty important when you have diabetes...

Lantus is fine OUT of the fridge for 28 days providing that the temperature does not exceed 30degC.

If you can't get your hands on a cooling wallet, then just leave your insulin somewhere cooler than 30degC. IT DOES NOT have to be stored in a fridge if it's in use, it just needs to be cooler than 30degC.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

Dod95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've the same problem, I was taking 12 U / day , which was enough to keep my BG under control , one week ago , I had hypoglycemia so I stopped the insulin for 3 days & everything was normal,, even after eating fast food meal my BG was 120 mg/dl 2 hours after food!! Then suddenly my BG went to 300 mg/dl & the 12U insulin is bot effective as before ,, my Fasting BG is higher than normal.. & after food it can reach 200 mg/dl

Bassiette

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
candy etc
My problem still persists i made great effort to control my sugar especially the glycoslated haemoglobin now my morning reads still high today was 125 mg/dl I don't know where the problem