Hot weather and insulin requirements

leggott

Hi, Yesterday and today my little boy has been needing a lot less insulin and it seems his ratio has changed from about 1:17 to 1:24 at lunch time. Could this be down to the warmer weather? Nothing else has changed in his lifestyle so I'm trying to work out what has caused it. I know that some people's insulin requirements change when it's warmer, but it seems such a big change. Has anyone else noticed this. Leggott

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I haven't really noticed much difference with Jess. She did have a series of hypos a few weeks back during that first spell of warmer weather but it all seems to have settled itself now. It might be that the children are more active in the playground now with the warmer weather?

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
I didn't notice the first few season changes but I notice the change of season insulin requirements now. I think maybe it is because I have much tighter control than in the first year so small changes stand out.

Khaleb started to have some frequent hypos and I could only put them down to the weather. We are coming closer to Winter now so there might be a review in the near future.

Hope you get to enjoy some warmer weather and the outdoors!

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have noticed a drop in my ratios too with the warm weather, however I have worked out that it is more because I am a lot more active than I had been.

What the warm weather does seem to have done is reduce the amount of time my glargine shot lasts for so it is running out a little sooner than in winter.

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
Since moving to Malta and experiencing temperatures of up to 41c, we have had to increase Andrews insulin by 50%, and it doesn't always bring him down quickly enough despite a lack of appetite in the heat. So testing every 2 and 4 hrs and adjusting doses as required. He has never sweated so much, so keeping him hydrated with plenty of water, sugar free drinks and sf icepops is quite a challange. Going back to Northern Ireland next month to visit family, guess i'd better pack the woolies!!!!
Suzi x