Anyone Less than 40?

sheepie123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey Folks,

It feels like I am kind of alone on this forum and having T2 at 29 seems rather young to me and I am in need of some encouragement perhaps a buddy / friend who we can encourage one another e.g. pen pals.

I think having it at 29 means I will have it a very long time.

How long have most of you had it?

And is there anyone less than 40 who has T2

Reactions: Snapsy and Robkww
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Sheepie , I am 35 and was diagnosed a few months back. My back story is that I still am a big foodie ( just the wrong type of food ) . There were times where is could eat a famous pizza chains feed 4 for a fiver in one sitting ( 2 x medium pizzas , garlic bread , wedges and large bottle of fizz - sometimes i would also get an order of wings too if i was feeling extra peckish).

with regards to my cholesterol reading , I am still half expecting Gunniess to send me a letter as according to my GP , it was the highest he had ever seen in his whole career and he was surprised that I haven't suffered a heart attack or stroke.

What turned my life around is that I lost my father to complications from diabetes when I was 10 ( he was only 60 at the time ) and with just recently becoming a father myself , I don't want my child to go through the same hardships that I did.

I have been now nearly 3 months on a low blood sugar diet and I am proud to say that I have already dropped from 104kg down to 91kg . My goal is to get down to 75kg and come of the tablets. As of today I also started testing my blood sugar and the results look good ( no spikes or drops 1 hour after meals )

I wont post any links ( not sure about forum rules yet since its my first post ) , however I purchased 4 books of amazon which were around £4 each and have been using them ever since for all of my meals ( b'fast , lunch and dinner ) . Plus most of the recipes take less the 15-20 minutes to whip up. The only downside is you will need to do some menu and shopping planning for the first few weeks and also my partner has roped me in doing all of the cooking all the time.

so don't worry you are not alone and i'm sure plenty of people here will offer their support.

PM me if you want some more info about the books and diet.

Sheeples

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello fellow sheep :) I'm 37 and was diagnosed last summer. I have sooo many diabetic relatives so it probably shouldn't have been much of a shock. I've been doing the low carb thing and lost 16 kg which seems to have done the trick as my numbers are all normal now.

You're definitely not alone with this :)

Reactions: Prem51

Ly_atdia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey Folks,

It feels like I am kind of alone on this forum and having T2 at 29 seems rather young to me and I am in need of some encouragement perhaps a buddy / friend who we can encourage one another e.g. pen pals.

I think having it at 29 means I will have it a very long time.

How long have most of you had it?

And is there anyone less than 40 who has T2

I'm 18. Nice to meet you.

Em1981

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I am 36, got diagnosed last year. Had gestational diabetes with my now 5 year old and my level didn't go quite back to normal.

My hb1ac was 68 earlier this year so I have been given Trulicity injection.

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm 39 diagnosed 23 yrs ago which makes it 17 when I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes and on insulin straight away from being out of hospital in 48 hrs after being rushed in with dka and on a drip for 24 hrs done me in anyway I have been on insulin and tablets and just tablets and now just insulin 4 times a day so you aren't too young to be a type 2 diabetic and never will be as I have met them younger than you at diabetic clinics every time I have my review with the doctor and dsn and I am on insulin for the rest of my life and I get resistant to it and the doses keep going up to compensate it like they just have this week

Sue81

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm 36 and was diagnosed 4 years ago.
There is lots of type 2 in my family so it shouldn't have been a surprise but I always thought it was something I'd have to deal with in my 50s/60s not in my 30s.
Looks like there are at least a few of us from the number of replies.

Reactions: Em1981 and Prem51

purplepenguin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm 36 and have been diagnosed 8 years. Finally I've got a grip on it and am winning. You will be fine. Follow the advice on the forums, ignore the doc for the most part and take control over your diagnosis. If you have any question or need a rant, please go ahead!

Em1981

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
It makes me mad when people think it's just a lifestyle disease. Surely if people are diagnosed at 17 it can't be?
I know my diet hasn't always been fantastic but I haven't always been overweight and it's only the last 10 years where I have struggled to keep the weight off.
I am hovering around 17 and a half stone now but I have been much lighter in the last 10 years as well.

Raghu_Nandan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
T2 -36 years , strong hereditary of T2 in family so was not that surprised ...believe me Diabetes management has became very easy due to advent of new technologies and i am optimistic in next 10-15 years it will became more easier .. only problem is we have to take care of what we eat , do exercise and take prescribed med's till then ..especially since most of us are young and long term complications for us means late 50's or early 60' if don't take care ..
if we can control BG number's everything will be ok...

D

Deleted member 388305

I am 64, but I was diagnosed 32 years ago. A1c is 5.8% with only metformin.

HMurg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm 18 and have been diagnosed - I'm really confused and quite upset by it all as I'm so young and yet my levels are so high