Honeymoon to turkey

Grimm90999

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all

Me and my soon to be wife are going on honeymoon to turkey in August and am wondering what I need to do in regard to taking my insulin with me.
I am going to see a doctor to get a doctors note explaining about it. But what about taking the vials of insulin on the flight. Can they be ones that I have started or do I need to replace them with new ones etc?

Thank you for any information that can help me

steve_p6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just take what I need plus a spare vial. Carry in hand luggage of course. In my experience medical care there is pretty good.

Mickyduff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I take everything I could possible need, and then a bit more to allow for delays/breakages etc. and I put it all in my hand luggage.
But you will need to get a letter from your GP to explain what it all is and to explain that you are a diabetic. I've had some airports just pass me through no problem, and I've had others who have scrutinised my letter and go through all of my equipment. To be honest I don't mind them doing that as it makes me feel like they are doing what they should be doing, keeping us all safe. Hope this helps :)

shelleyh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have a Frio pouch to carry the insulin whilst travelling. That will keep the insulin cool and all together in a small pouch. I request a fridge in my hotel room where possible and keep the insulin there for the duration of my stay. Request a letter from the GP saying you are a diabetic type 1 and the insulin you will be carrying.
I always double the quantity of insulin and supplies etc to take away with me.

Just remember to disclose your diabetes to your travel insurance company if purchasing.
Have a great honeymoon

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Firstly have a lovely time. I put all my insulin in frio bags and take twice as much as I need. If you don't get a letter from your doctor I know you can get a card from diabetes uk but you can also download a letter usually from your meter provider, e.g. Bayer to confirm your needs.

maria030660

Dislikes
backstabbers, brocoli and dirt toilets...uggghhhh
Lovely you go on honeymoon!!! Just take everything you need in your hand luggage including your own food if you are carb counting plus a letter of your consultant. If you go to Turkey I would discuss tho' if you need a vaccination for hepititus A. Its going around there a lot and you can get it by eating fruit or get it through swimming pools. Its just 'better safe then sorry'. Your consultant or travel clinic can inform you.

D

Deleted Account

I assume if you are mentioning partially used vials, you have a pump.
If so, remember to not let the pump be x-rayed. It cannot go on the belt and cannot go in the human-sized box that you hold your hands up whilst you are x-rayed. It can go with you through the arch and if you remember to take off any clip, it should not set off the alarm.

Some pump suppliers (e.g. Animas) can provide a spare pump in case you need it whilst you are away. It is worth asking. Otherwise, make sure you have an alternative in case your pump has a problem.

If you use pens, I also advise taking an alternative (such as spare pens).

Have an amazing honeymoon.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi all

Me and my soon to be wife are going on honeymoon to turkey in August and am wondering what I need to do in regard to taking my insulin with me.
I am going to see a doctor to get a doctors note explaining about it. But what about taking the vials of insulin on the flight. Can they be ones that I have started or do I need to replace them with new ones etc?

Thank you for any information that can help me

I can't really help you with your question, but congratulations on your forthcoming marriage, I wish you a very long, a healthy and a happy life together :)