Type 2 new onto glyclaside

clarejenkins

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Salad as makes me vomit, all raw vegetables, nuts etc give me indigestion
just starting glyclaside today. rwally good reduction in bs level first day. fingers crossed no reaction like with metformin. bit alarmed that may cause weight GAIN. any tips? will the low carb diet lessen this effect?

Jlewis

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm on it and mines stayed very low. I'm on half a tablet a day and they're still very low and honestly the weight gain thing is just put there for legal reasons I've actually lost weight since I started it

anteater2012

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
People who don't listen to others i.e. the 8 members of this forum I have put on ignore as they talk such utter **** all the time. This now includes the member who thinks they are a moderator.
They do lower blood sugar but I battled the weight on glicazide. Put on over a stone that I could not shift, despite exercising over an hour a day, every day, running. Combined with the most monumental depression (mood swings were listed as a side effect on the PIL in the box mine came in). I came off them as I just wanted to kill myself, but had to force the doctor into it.
However everybody's reaction to medication can vary so give it ago and see how you get on.

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been on it for 18 months and am trying to GAIN weight without much success.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I lost nearly 12 st whilst taking gliclizide and have still managed to keep it off and still losing. IMHO the trick is getting the balance right, what puts the weight on is feeding the meds i.e. If you are eating more carbs to treat hypos or to stop going too low then the dose is too high so you need to speak to your GP about reducing it.

. It's not a magic bullet I still low carb and have to watch my fats too or I gain weight but I have reduced my meds over time from max dose to 40g twice a day. Never been able to drop that last little bit but I'm happy with my results

clarejenkins

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I lost nearly 12 st whilst taking gliclizide and have still managed to keep it off and still losing. IMHO the trick is getting the balance right, what puts the weight on is feeding the meds i.e. If you are eating more carbs to treat hypos or to stop going too low then the dose is too high so you need to speak to your GP about reducing it.

. It's not a magic bullet I still low carb and have to watch my fats too or I gain weight but I have reduced my meds over time from max dose to 40g twice a day. Never been able to drop that last little bit but I'm happy with my results

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
just starting glyclaside today. rwally good reduction in bs level first day. fingers crossed no reaction like with metformin. bit alarmed that may cause weight GAIN. any tips? will the low carb diet lessen this effect?
I was started on Gliclizade when first diagnosed (along with Metformin which I couldn't take after 2 weeks). It did the trick (along with low carbing also). Never noticed any problems with weight gain - just remember that the way it works is to increase insulin output from the pancreas, so if you are low carbing it can cause your BS to drop down a lot. I was on 40mg twice a day. My lowest morning BS was 3.7 (at which point I had shaky hands). When the dietician saw my results from my monitor in January she agreed that I could manage with diet and did not need the Gliclizade anymore. Happy day that was! Good luck to you.

clarejenkins

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
That is great news. I feel a lot happier knowing all your different experiences - I hope mine will reflect the positive ones!

Reactions: lovinglife

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
There are few side effects with Gliclazide. Any weight gain is not caused by the Gliclazide but the excess carbs you eat that the body is now able to metabolise via the insulin stimulated by it.