Can I take an extra metformin

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
What did your doctor say about your symptoms? You did consult you doctor?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was seen by the practice nurse and told that it was essential that I took the tablets no matter what they did to me.

Reactions: Freema

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok thank you. This morning it was quite a bit lower at 8.3, throughout the day it's around 7 still.

Firstly Metformin has been around for a long time and is generally proven to be cost effective for improving glucose control, reducing HbA1c by 1-2%, if you are able to tolerate its side effects.

How Much Does Metformin Lower HbA1cLevel?
http://www.jwatch.org/jw201204030000003/2012/04/03/how-much-does-metformin-lower-hba1c-level

Quantifying the Effect of Metformin Treatment and Dose on Glycemic Control
http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/diacare/35/2/446.full.pdf

However many of us have seen and maintained greater improvements and HbA1c reductions up to 5% from a combination of carbs reduction and intermittent fasting...

Personally I find that a lighter earlier dinner helps to rapidly reduce Fasting Glucose level.

SueNSW

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting how many different opinions there are - and I'm afraid I'd never want to come across as strongly as some people seem to on here - but my experience with Metformin has been very different to others.

I take 2000mg of slow release (as well as insulin before breakfast and dinner) all at night - immediately before bed (which is how it was prescribed to me in the first place - though I've had people on here tell me it's not the correct way to take it!), never had any stomach problems at all and my fasting figures in the morning are always between 5 and 7 (what I've been told to aim for) - generally under 6 and occasionally under 5.

Of course, this may have nothing to do with the Metformin - and all be down to my dinner time mixed insulin dose (smaller than the breakfast one) - but hey it seems to work for me and I'll be sticking with it - for now anyway

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Freema If your metformin is slow release you should not split the pills because they are coated so that the metformin releases throughout the day
CAROL

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Would it be ok to take an extra 1 just as i go to sleep ?
(In the hopes of lower levels in the morning ?)

This blog by Dr Jason Fung may also give you a better perspective of the morning rise...
https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/dawn-phenomenon-t2d-8/

Think about it this way. The Dawn Phenomenon is simply moving sugar from body stores (liver) into the blood. That’s it. If your body stores are filled to bursting, then you will expel as much of that sugar as possible. By itself it is neither good nor bad. It is simply a marker that your body has too much sugar. Solution? Simple. Either don’t put any sugar in (LCHF) or burn it off (Fasting). Even better? LCHF + IF.

Will 46

The maximum dose of Metformin is 4 tablets, so the short answer would be no.
I never saw any difference when I stopped taking it, so I doubt it will have the effect you desire. It isn't anything fast acting, so it doesn't have an immediate effect anyway.
actually your wrong about the maximum dosage of Metformin !, the MAXIMUM dosage is as follows :
6X 500MG a day divided into doses, or 3X 850MG a day divided into doses ,this is clearly printed on the information sheet provided with each box of Metformin, it seems you yourself haven't read the information supplied either!, you must also remember that we are all individuals and medications react differently and uniquely to each of us , and indeed we must follow the doctors prescribed medications in the first place , and the advice your given out is completely wrong ,that Metforformin "isnt fast acting" or that it didnt "work for you" and your "doubtful that it wont work for you either "(naming Saraha 69), so please refrain from advising people with the incorrect information,the best advice is go see your GP in the first place

Will 46

Obviously didn't read the information in the box.
Does it actually do anything for you?
It just made my life a misery and when I decided to stop taking it, I did not see any increase in my blood glucose levels.
obviously you didnt read the box either !!!

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well it all depends on what dosage people can tolerate. Standard Metformin gave me bad indigestion and bloating so I was put on the SR one and the indigestion and bloating stopped but the more I took the more they suppressed my appetite until I was hardly eating anything My doctor told me to reduce the dose until I felt my normal appetite had returned. I had to get down to 500mg a day after my main meal before that happened so that is what I am on. My doctor is happy with that as she said any dose is better than none at all for the protective properties it gives

Last edited:
Reactions: Freema and zand

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You seem to be doing fabulously well on a diet similar to mine. A couple thoughts on your symptoms:

- Were you taking extended release form of Metformin? I do way better on these but they are vastly more expensive.
- Were you taking non colored version. I had similar reactions to a Yellow colored generic and anything manufactured by the TEVA compny, whoever they are. Their Metformin is kind of dark pink speckled . And sometimes what pills are made from in the inactive ingredients makes a difference. You will note that same strength generics can be different sizes. By the way, although Dr. Berstein touts original version of Metformin, Glucophage, as woth the extra money, I am actually allergic to this version.
- I will never take another statin in my lifetime because of the muscle wasting, muscle pain, tendonitis and gastro problems caused. You can manage sholesterol without them.
-Do you take other drugs, cardiac drugs being the most egregious, especially ARBs? I took three different formulations with the same devastating gastro side effects that you describe.
No, it was the standard type.
I do take thyroxine and have needed it for a long time - it took a long time to diagnose, so I needed it long before I got it, long after I asked about it too.
Otherwise I was taking after the rest of my family - no serious illness, not even the classic signs of diabetes. I suspect I was diagnosed because I went to have my annual blood test for thyroxine and the nurse spoke to me for a minute or two and then went to get a different set of vials and forms to the one she'd got on her desk. I am normally sent to the hospital for blood to be taken, but I was hit by a car last August and so I asked if I could have the test done at the clinic as it is so much closer and I was still hobbling.

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
I was seen by the practice nurse and told that it was essential that I took the tablets no matter what they did to me.
I would complain about that nurse. Her attitude was not professional or in keeping with good medical practice.

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
No, it was the standard type.
I do take thyroxine and have needed it for a long time - it took a long time to diagnose, so I needed it long before I got it, long after I asked about it too.
Otherwise I was taking after the rest of my family - no serious illness, not even the classic signs of diabetes. I suspect I was diagnosed because I went to have my annual blood test for thyroxine and the nurse spoke to me for a minute or two and then went to get a different set of vials and forms to the one she'd got on her desk. I am normally sent to the hospital for blood to be taken, but I was hit by a car last August and so I asked if I could have the test done at the clinic as it is so much closer and I was still hobbling.
Me again. You might find this of interest: https://www.medpagetoday.com/Primar...id=nl_mpt_DHE_2017-05-12&eun=g599609d0r&pos=4

SueNSW

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
... but the more I took the more they suppressed my appetite until I was hardly eating anything

Another example of how different we all are!!

They have made absolutely no difference to my appetite at all - wish they would - at least a little - :)

Reactions: Pinkorchid

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another example of how different we all are!!

They have made absolutely no difference to my appetite at all - wish they would - at least a little - :)

Yes we are all very different people so none of use react in the same way to things. For those needing to loose weight it can help if it suppresses their appetite so they eat less. Trouble with me I did not need to loose weight but I did because I was eating so little and now I struggle to regain it[/QUOTE]

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is a law of diminishing returns with Metformin. 1000Mg can lower HbA1C by 1%, but 2000 only by 1.25%. So the larger does of Metformin has very little extra benefit. In comparison a low carb diet can lower HbA1C by 5%, so is much more effective in lowering blood sugar.

Just taking Metformin will not reduce high blood sugars to normal levels, but it does help a little.

Reactions: kokhongw

Glucobabu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Obviously you have to stick to the dose prescribed by your doctor and if it doesn't work see him/her again for other options. Being a type 1 of Indian heritage, I have seen lots of elderly type 2 diabetics in my community who are not quite aware of limitations and side effects of medication go for a sweet sugary dish and pop in a couple of extra pills to 'make up' for it and even joke about it. When you try to challenge this their response? How much extra life will you get? Just enjoy while you can!!

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
There is a law of diminishing returns with Metformin. 1000Mg can lower HbA1C by 1%, but 2000 only by 1.25%. So the larger does of Metformin has very little extra benefit. In comparison a low carb diet can lower HbA1C by 5%, so is much more effective in lowering blood sugar.

Just taking Metformin will not reduce high blood sugars to normal levels, but it does help a little.

How Much Does Metformin Lower HbA1c Level? I am on 2 x 500mg tablets each evening as well as Insulin morning & evening. Are those figures you quote backed up by the medical profession? I am also on a LCHF diet since February and although my fasting BS has risen from around 5 to between 6 - 8, yet my Insulin needs have dropped from 44 am to 28 units and from 34 pm to 14 units. I will be having my next HbA ic in August. The one in February was 7.6

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How Much Does Metformin Lower HbA1c Level? I am on 2 x 500mg tablets each evening as well as Insulin morning & evening. Are those figures you quote backed up by the medical profession? I am also on a LCHF diet since February and although my fasting BS has risen from around 5 to between 6 - 8, yet my Insulin needs have dropped from 44 am to 28 units and from 34 pm to 14 units. I will be having my next HbA ic in August. The one in February was 7.6
I read how much reduction of HbA1C from Metformin from some journal on the net. The data was similar to this one ... http://www.jwatch.org/jw201204030000003/2012/04/03/how-much-does-metformin-lower-hba1c-level
  • In comparisons between metformin monotherapy and placebo (or no drug treatment), metformin reduced mean HbA1c level by 1.1%.
  • In comparisons involving metformin plus insulin versus insulin alone, addition of metformin reduced mean HbA1c level by 0.8% in patients with type 2 diabetes. In patients with type 1 diabetes receiving insulin, add-on metformin therapy had no HbA1c-lowering effect.
  • In comparisons between low-dose and high-dose metformin (usually 1000 vs. 2000 mg daily), HbA1c level was 0.3% lower with high-dose therapy.
See this diagram to see what a 1% reduction looks like e.g. 86 to 75 mmol/mol.

hba1c-chart.jpg

Reactions: Kyambala

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I read how much reduction of HbA1C from Metformin from some journal on the net. The data was similar to this one ... http://www.jwatch.org/jw201204030000003/2012/04/03/how-much-does-metformin-lower-hba1c-level
  • In comparisons between metformin monotherapy and placebo (or no drug treatment), metformin reduced mean HbA1c level by 1.1%.
  • In comparisons involving metformin plus insulin versus insulin alone, addition of metformin reduced mean HbA1c level by 0.8% in patients with type 2 diabetes. In patients with type 1 diabetes receiving insulin, add-on metformin therapy had no HbA1c-lowering effect.
  • In comparisons between low-dose and high-dose metformin (usually 1000 vs. 2000 mg daily), HbA1c level was 0.3% lower with high-dose therapy.
See this diagram to see what a 1% reduction looks like e.g. 86 to 75 mmol/mol.

hba1c-chart.jpg
Thank you Art Of Flowers, that was a very professional answer - one I will treasure.