Help With Finding Alternate Diabetes Supplier

SenileTomato

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabeetus
I currently use Liberty Medical for my insulin pump and CGMS supplies, and have been for the past several years. Unfortunately, I have constant issues with them, ranging from average 30 minute wait times on the phone, to more serious issues as not receiving the right amount of supplies. The latter issue is obviously more crucial, and is something I have been dealing with for way too long.

Can anyone suggest any other alternate diabetes suppliers? I was set up with Liberty Medical through my father, and don't know anything at all on how to go about changing suppliers, or if I even can. If someone could tell me how I could find a comprehensive list of suppliers as well, that would be excellent. My google searches haven't exactly helped me, but I really don't know where to start.

Sincerely,

A fellow T1D

JaneC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You might get more appropriate help on a US website for this one maybe?

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's going to ultimately depend on your insurance policy and whether or not you can use a different supplier. Some carriers/policies allow you to use any in-network carrier you want, others require you to use a specific carrier, and others still don't care and allow you to buy directly from the manufacturer.

If it were me, I would call your insurance carrier and ask the same question.
Companies like Dexcom are also pretty good about helping you understand and take full advantage of your insurance benefits.

I've had three different insurance policies and two of them allowed me to buy directly from Dexcom which is by far the easiest process. The other one was through BCBS and allowed me to go through a short-list of in-network carriers. They put me in touch with "Pumps It" down in Houston, TX who I wouldn't recommend in 100 years.

Short answer: it's useless to recommend a supplier because each carrier and policy has separate requirements. One Aetna policy could be completely different from another.

Reactions: SenileTomato

vic hill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
whoever you ARE maybe complain to the highest person in that company .
if not tell them you will inform the medical profession i.e. N.I.C.E if you were in good old ENGLAND
good luck vic uk

SenileTomato

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabeetus
Thanks! I'll definitely do that when I have a chance. I agree going directly through the manufacturer would be the easiest and most efficient, I'm going to check if that's an option first. But I would like to know just to have a general idea, though, of the, lets say, top 3 distributors/suppliers for medical supplies to keep in mind. Therefore if they are an option for me when I call in, I can choose one of those.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks! I'll definitely do that when I have a chance. I agree going directly through the manufacturer would be the easiest and most efficient, I'm going to check if that's an option first. But I would like to know just to have a general idea, though, of the, lets say, top 3 distributors/suppliers for medical supplies to keep in mind. Therefore if they are an option for me when I call in, I can choose one of those.

It doesn't work that way and most of the larger suppliers generally have horrible reviews.

Login to your insurance carrier's website and search for their approved suppliers.

If you're just looking for a name then Edgepark is one of the larger ones. People seem generally unhappy with them though (at least what I read online).