Modified Carbs Diet my Hospital Experience???

forge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Getting old and everything that goes with it. All the repeats on TV. The drongos who ring me up to sell me things. Religious havens for pedophiles and war-mongers.
I am going to discuss hospital food and how it changed my attitude to how I discuss my T2 diet and what I eat now..

I tripped over a steel peg so I needed surgery and was in hospital for a week and I control my T2 with diet and tabs and some exercise. I was allocated a GP to look after my "other health issue" including my T2 and heart issues (plus a pacemaker) and gout.

I control my gout with diet and no meds and my heart issues with diet and meds.

My first meal post-op was chosen for me and after that I chose from the menu for each day. My post-op meal was mixed sandwiches and an apple which was fine except I usually do not eat bread, too much cheese, or processed meat and I only eat limited fruit..

It was a major private hospital so the menu was creative with some names but it was not helpful for deciding lo-carb choices.

On Day 2 I had a visit from my Endo who I had not seen for 3 years since he got me off JABS and onto TABS and he was amazed at my control results and the dietitian turned up and as most of us know re T2 there is a conflict between old school diet and new school diet.

Anyway, the end result was the Dietitian was helpful and told me to write MODIFIED CARBS on my menu selections and that I could choose things that are not on the Menu on that particular day. So the longer I stayed the more choices I became aware of that they might have available.

Basically I was getting no exercise and I was eating less but my BS control was OK and my wife brought in some lowish carb almond nut bars (11 carbs per bar with choc coating) that helped too.

My experience with T2 forums is they have many pedantic posters about lo-carb and even hi-fat and they are adamant about this that and the other. My hospital experience tho was one of "compromise and adapting" and being a pedant was not going to do anything other than send my blood pressure and pulse rate into the crisis range.

So there it is folks, my advice is forget talking about our lo-carb diets and start talking about modified carb diets - pedants can go "suck eggs" if they choose. The pedants may or may not be distressing over their lo-carb (even LCHF) meanwhile sensible MCs (Modified Carbers) can enjoy a selective diet based on what is readily available, with an awareness of carbs but without counting carbs.

"What a lot of rubbish!!" the pedants will say. But the pedants should reflect on the long term mental issues we all face, as they will find in this forum's posts.

Now I am back home we buy plain Greek yoghurt and artificially sweeten it ( a trick I learned in hospital) and of course no spuds or bread or grain related food. But I do eat plenty of nuts and use nut flours and SR flour and fake sugar (what I call 3 flour mix) to reduce baked goods carbs by more than 80%.

By being selective (modified carbs diet and not being pedantic) I can even eat out at McDonalds. One of Maccas expensive burgers is about 45 carbs but I could refrain from eating the top half of the bread roll I could make it even lower. Black coffee with fake sugar is about zero carbs and their SOFT serve ice cream cone is 22 carbs.

Modified carbs is really about eating and remaining within the control of our meds and in the example above with poor selection at Maccas the carb count could be 150 and with modified carb choices it could be as low as 35 carbs.

The food chains advertise their food likely carb count online

So T2 readers there is a life for us that can be fun if we make a hobby of selecting carbs from prepared food choices and make a hobby of lo-carb cooking.

Add 4 items to your shopping list
1) Coconut flour
2) Almond meal
3) Xanthan gum
4) Fake sugar that survives the heat from cooking
Use them diligently to make modified carb sweet and tasty foods (not necessarily no carb or lo-carb)

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
An interesting post but I am not sure it gets us anywhere except to introduce another acronym, MC. LC never did mean NC and anyone who forgoes the odd potato is eating MC anyway.

As for name calling, there is probably a rule about that but I won't bother to look it up. I shall try and think of a word that describes having artificial sweetener and the top half of buns in McDonalds. That will make my walk go quicker.

Reactions: dbr10

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another graduate of the "How to Lose Friends and Alienate People" course?

Last edited:
Reactions: dbr10

spook_kate_

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
Other
Hi, I don't think @forge is having a go at people, just showing that he's human and finds very low carb hard. Modified carbs suit many people, getting the best from both words. Whatever works best for you is good

forge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Getting old and everything that goes with it. All the repeats on TV. The drongos who ring me up to sell me things. Religious havens for pedophiles and war-mongers.
  1. pe¦dan|tic
    [pɪˈdantɪk]
    ADJECTIVE
    1. excessively concerned with minor details or rules;
Pedant/ic is the correct word to describe very low carbers attitude to food. How is that an insult?

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think he is having a go at people. There are times when we all have to make-do with what's available whether we are low carbers or not.

@forge don't you think the fact that you list 4 things to buy is in itself being pedantic? I have never bought any of those things and don't intend to start now. I am a low carber and can eat what I want, I don't need to buy special things to low carb. It seems to me that MC would be more difficult than LC and without the benefits. I too eat at McDonald's if needs must, I've never had a problem with it. Chicken salad or burger without the bap...or even both! Oh and I will never ever eat an egg.....yuck!

Reactions: JohnEGreen

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Pedant/ic is the correct word to describe very low carbers attitude to food. How is that an insult?

Have to disagree about your label of Pedant to describe very low careers attitude to food ... and yes it is an insult !!
I was 20g and under of carbs a day for about a year and a half ... thats referred to as low carb .. I did the very low carb to get my sugar levels in to a reasonable number, without the need for medication.
Also did not run around telling everyone I am low carb .. If I was in hospital (I am not in hospital) I would not be highlighting my choice to low carb and would pick around the food offered. eggs, salad & cheese are almost always on offer to vegetarians in hospital ..
Your post in interesting .. but very wrong to label people pedant, due to their food choices in an effort to stay healthy

Reactions: ziggy_w

forge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks @spook_kate_ Yes you are right.

My mention of "Modified carbs" copped some flack but they did not read it correctly - Modified Carbs was in fact the technical term applied to my diet by the Hospital Dietitian, no it was not me, I did not invent it, but I think it is a good option.

(Putting exercise aside for the sake of argument.)

While we all know the nastiness of the T2 degenerative disease and the extremes some sufferers go to with diet, new sufferers should also be made aware of their true options.

Control can be by a modied diet or an extreme diet and meds can be mild or extreme.

So the combination of diet and meds can be top heavy either way. (diet or meds)

New sufferers should be given advice that allows them to make an informed decision without undue influence.

forge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Am I excessively concerned with keeping my toes and eyesight.. guilty as charged..

T2 Medical Science has advanced since 2015 . Your descritption of your remedies only explains why you choose to be pedantic it does not negate that you are pedantic.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So the combination of diet and meds can be top heavy either way.

You are happy to take pills some don't want to..

By belittling what others do are you really giving "new sufferers" (your words) the full picture?

my advice is forget talking about our lo-carb diets and start talking about modified carb diets - pedants can go "suck eggs" if they choose

Hardly an opening to a reasoned discussion.. so what's your motivation for your post?

forge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

Have to disagree about your label of Pedant to describe very low careers attitude to food ... and yes it is an insult !!
I was 20g and under of carbs a day for about a year and a half ... thats referred to as low carb .. I did the very low carb to get my sugar levels in to a reasonable number, without the need for medication.
Also did not run around telling everyone I am low carb .. If I was in hospital (I am not in hospital) I would not be highlighting my choice to low carb and would pick around the food offered. eggs, salad & cheese are almost always on offer to vegetarians in hospital ..
Your post in interesting .. but very wrong to label people pedant, due to their food choices in an effort to stay healthy

I disagree pedantic does describe someone who obsessively sticks to a lo-carb diet regime.

Your reason why you stick obsessively to a particular diet regime does not make any difference., the word pedantic is still applied correctly.

forge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An interesting post but I am not sure it gets us anywhere except to introduce another acronym, MC. LC never did mean NC and anyone who forgoes the odd potato is eating MC anyway.

As for name calling, there is probably a rule about that but I won't bother to look it up. I shall try and think of a word that describes having artificial sweetener and the top half of buns in McDonalds. That will make my walk go quicker.

Thanks
1) Pedantic (adjective)(pedantic dieter for example) is not name calling it is a proper description it is not an insult word.
2) I did not invent Modified Carbs and start anything new if you read correctly it was the Hospital Dietitian's terminology.

I resent being picked on because I dared to use accurate but different words. I also did not invent the Dictionary definitions.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The term "pedant" is pejorative as far as I am aware.

You used it.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's fine to advocate what works for you. Newbies may be helped by this. It isn't fine to criticize what works for many others. This is a support forum.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Before his goes any further, @forge, your use of the term pedant is perjorative (dictionary definitions don't include the conveyance of a context or tone which is very clear in your posts) but you are also missing the point that you are being exactly what you accuse others of. If the personal sniping doesn't stop we will have to lock the topic, so please refrain from it.

Reactions: Indy51

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would ask everyone reading this thread, and considering contributing to it to read the forum rules, in particular rules B3, 4 and 5, before responding. This applies to everyone.

Any further, unhelpful comments are likely to result in this thread being locked, and potentially removed from view.

For your convenience, the full rules can be found here: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/community-ethos-forum-rules.50278/

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not sure Labels help much, whether you are Labeling yourself or somebody else.

Low Carb can mean so many different things to different people, it does a pretty poor job as a way of describing a diet or lifestyle.

I wouldn't use the term to describe myself. I just eat what I like eating, and not what I don't.

Reactions: spook_kate_

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've eaten a modified carbs diet since I was diagnosed - I've simply modified my carbs consumption to be on the very low side.

It's been as easy or as hard as I've chosen to make it and is tailored to my particular diabetic requirements and no-one elses, as are for example, @bulkbiker's and @NoCrbs4Me's low carb choices.

Robbity

PS: If I ever have the pleasure of being in hospital again then I'll tell them that I can't tolerate high carbohydrate food and see how far that gets me. :wideyed:

Reactions: daisyduck