Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
It's certainly free.
The fact some of us pay taxes doesn't alter who uses it.
And I'm more than happy to support those that don't get the service that should be delivered.

I agree that it is free at point of service But every one pays taxes one way or another..

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Gentlemen, please bring this thread back on-topic. The topic is not whether the NHS is free or not. Such a deviation doesn't help @horrible_al in any way.

If in doubt about the topic, please re-read the initial post.

Thank you.

Reactions: Brunneria

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
@horrible_al Your doctor knowing your concerns with weight management has warned you that the medication may and I stress may cause some weight gain and that you should be careful that is if it does cause you any weight gain to go back to him and see if there is an alternative.

Hoping4Cure

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treating insulin resistance with more insulin (or drugs that stimulate insulin production) doesn't make sense to me. Just pouring fuel on the fire.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Treating insulin resistance with more insulin (or drugs that stimulate insulin production) doesn't make sense to me. Just pouring fuel on the fire.

That depends on whether or not your pancreas is producing insulin.... not all type 2's produce sufficient insulin... I'm one of them and on insulin because I hardly produce it. But yes docs can use it when people still have their own insulin. It's really a case of being on the right treatment that works for you.

Reactions: leslie10152

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
@horrible_al at least your doctor warned you about the possible side effects its more usual to read here that doctors just prescribe drugs willy nilly and only later does the patient find out about the side effects.

Be happy that you have been warned to watch whet you eat while taking this drug.

Doctors seem to be damned here whatever they do!

Reactions: Polgara

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
That depends on whether or not your pancreas is producing insulin.... not all type 2's produce sufficient insulin... I'm one of them and on insulin because I hardly produce it. But yes docs can use it when people still have their own insulin. It's really a case of being on the right treatment that works for you.
Same here. I was put on insulin from day one. I switched from Mixtard 30/70, it was too slow acting, to Novorapid (bolus) and Lantus (basal).

Reactions: JohnEGreen and Mep

Hoping4Cure

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1

Sure, good point. It makes me wonder what Glimpiride might do for type 1s, actually. I read about that a while back and posted some links on my blog, but I never tried it.

Reactions: Mep

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Sure, good point. It makes me wonder what Glimpiride might do for type 1s, actually. I read about that a while back and posted some links on my blog, but I never tried it.

I'm not sure how Glimpiride would work when you don't produce sufficient or any insulin. I got taken off oral meds for this reason as my endocrinologist said that oral meds only work when you have sufficient insulin (I was on metformin, gliclazide, and januvia at the time after being on a mix of all sorts). I was put on insulin therapy instead and told that's what I'll be on for life. My c-peptide test came back in the red, but the GAD test result didn't show it was auto immune. My insulin would've been destroyed by years of insulin resistance and most likely the addition of oral meds for 5 years sped up the process for me in destroying my beta cells.