Cheese crisps

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been experimenting with these and found a good way to make them this afternoon.
Bought some President Emmental slices in Sainsburys laid them on a silicon sheet put them in a pre heated oven (200 C) for about 15 minutes. After 10 they are nicely melted and after 15 -20 mins they go brown and crisp up nicely. I also tried some lower fat Leerdammer slices (on special offer) but they cooked faster and got slightly burned. Much less faff than grating parmesan etc and quite filling. A nice crunch prob great with guacamole - I just ate them naked! (I was clothed the crisps weren't) .

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, I'll have to try that. my previous attempt had them sticking to a traditional baking tray. I'll have to get a silicone sheet :)

Reactions: Ultramum

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ha - my go faster grated andmicrowaved lacy parmesan crisps take less than 10 minutes from me starting to grate the cheese to cooked, cool and ready to eat... :D:p

@daisyduck - try a piece of non stick baking parchment/greaseproof on top of baking sheet - saves washing up unless you're mean - errm super frugal - and wash that too....!

Robbity

PS: Since a certain husband laid claim to being boss of the kitchen, using ovens in this house is considered to be a mortal sin, and amazingly the first time I baked a low carb loaf for 30mins I put up our electricity bills by quite a significant amount! Goodness knows what oven baked cheesey crisps - naked or let alone lacy see through ones - might to do said bills! :wideyed::banghead:

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I want some! But have to go to work. Plans for the evening...:)

Rosiegough_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Evil beings. Destroying our beautiful Planet X
I've been experimenting with these and found a good way to make them this afternoon.
Bought some President Emmental slices in Sainsburys laid them on a silicon sheet put them in a pre heated oven (200 C) for about 15 minutes. After 10 they are nicely melted and after 15 -20 mins they go brown and crisp up nicely. I also tried some lower fat Leerdammer slices (on special offer) but they cooked faster and got slightly burned. Much less faff than grating parmesan etc and quite filling. A nice crunch prob great with guacamole - I just ate them naked! (I was clothed the crisps weren't) .
I made these today and had them with avocado......yummy

sarah_chadwick

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
These sound yummy, do you wait for them to go cold to enjoy, or do they need eating immediately? thanks

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do they have to be President Emmental, or can I buy another brand ?

Do I have to buy them only in Sainburys ?

Just asking :bag:
Sarky b*gger I was just using examples.. although I did try some Waitrose sliced cheddar and the slices were a bit thick and didn't crisp up so maybe not such a daft question..

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Might work with an oven, but its an expensive experiment it it goes wrong.