Breakfast Ideas

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all, I've been managing my T1 for a few years now and I'm moving onto a low carb diet as I have been running very high BG lately which was causing me some mood issues, my brain did not enjoy being on a BG roller-coaster. I'm a decent cook and I've a lot of good recipes nailed for lunch and dinner but I just can not work out any good breakfast options. Eggs are one thing but there are only so many ways a man can eat eggs before becoming sick of them. I'm ideally after something relatively fast as there isn't always time what with work etc. Any ideas appreciated! Thanks all.

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
You can eat anything you like for breakfast, a bowl of chunky soup, a couple of slices of low carb bread with butter and cheese, slices of ham and a tomato, remains of last night's dinner, tinned fish and a stick or two of celery, anything.
Most of the world doesn't eat a special type of food at breakfast, as I found out when presented with a bowl of curry in India, just eats its normal food.
Sally

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
You can make low carb muffins, waffles, pancakes. You can make omelettes and frittatas with eggs instead of the usual. You can cook various sausage meats and/or bacon with low starch vegetables and just add mozzarella to it and bake it... no eggs. If you're in a hurry in the mornings it's probably a good idea to save yourself cooking and perhaps cook a couple of things you can keep in the fridge and just reheat and eat. Eg. you can do that with most bakes easy. Also if you like mushrooms and can eat tomatoes... just have those cooked with some low carb bread. Stuff capsicums and tomatoes with cheese/meats/veg and bake. You can soak chia seeds in coconut milk topped with small amount of fruit or mix a small amount of oats, flax seeds, and chia seeds together to lower the carb content to make a porridge... if you want a grain breakfast. There's some ideas. If you don't have any issues with foods you can eat... worth a try. There's lots of recipes online too.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had berrys nuts and cream this am (leftover from last nights pudding) and often sub the cream for full fat greek yog :) if you get the individual pots from Tesco (£1 for 4) its quick as

Reactions: Mep

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
My husband's standby breakfasts are Lidl High Protein Rolls, sliced in half, toasted and spread with a low carb peanut butter. He also likes cold leftover (high meat content) sausages - so much that we now do extra on purpose for him to have cold before work or to take to work.

I like mackerel fillets fried in butter or boiled eggs and Lidl high protein roll buttered soldiers.

At the weekends we have a fry (grill) up or go out to Toby Carvery for one of their buffet breakfasts. Yum.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The quickest and easiest LC breakfast I can imagine, is a couple of slices of cheese and a couple of slices of ham or other cold meat, layered like a sandwich and munched on the go. It literally just takes seconds to open the fridge, grab and walk off munching.

Not very elegant :) but perfect for someone with no time.

if you google low carb cinnamon crunch you will find a number of recipes that resemble breakfast cereal

other than those, breakfasts around here are any of the following:
coffee with cream
97% meat sausages and or bacon
leftovers from day before
coyo yoghurts
lidl protein rolls, toasted (straight out of the freezer and into the toaster)

Reactions: lorraine95

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi all, I've been managing my T1 for a few years now and I'm moving onto a low carb diet as I have been running very high BG lately which was causing me some mood issues, my brain did not enjoy being on a BG roller-coaster.

You don't say how low you wish to go, but most mornings I eat porridge for breakfast (oats, milk/water, Greek yogurt, seeds & blueberries) and don't experience no roller-coaster ride, the total carb content for my breakfast is 50g but you could reduce the portion sizes if you wanted to reduce the carbs further.

Reactions: azure

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just rediscovered chia seed pudding for breakfast with a few berries. Prepare the night before and leave in the fridge. Loads of different flavours if you do an internet search. You could also make a batch of these muffins http://beautyandthefoodie.com/quick-paleo-english-muffins/ which are good with bacon. Pancakes also good: http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2014/07/egg-fast-recipe-snickerdoodle-crepes-low-carb.html This makes a lot of mixture which I leave in the fridge in a Tupperware container. Eat with berries and yoghurt or cream. Final suggestion http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/2012/08/chocolate-hazelnut-granola-low-carb-and-gluten-free.html Again can make up a batch. Good with yoghurt or milk.

Catherine4188

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My new love for breakfast is apple and no added sugar peanut butter or other nut butters. I have that if I'm not too hungry and it keeps me full for a good while. If I'm hungry I have 2 slices of Bergen bread toasted with the peanut butter on and sliced apple on top. It's a really nice mix of texture and salt and sweet.

D

Deleted member 308541

I have been eating omelettes for breakfast just lately, since I have completely given bread the flick. Here is some of the ideas I have been using. I like grated cheese in them so that is the main item:

Cheese and diced onion omelette
Cheese and sliced mushroom omelette
Cheese and sliced blacked olives omelette
Cheese and bloody hot peri peri sauce omelette
Cheese and diced bacon omelette
Cheese and diced leftover cold meat omelette
Cheese and leftover veggies omelette
Plain omelettes with bacon and sausages, mushrooms etc.

Reactions: kimrooney89

GrinderColumn

Hard boiled egg, oatmeal and low-fat greek yoghurt is a part of my breakfast staple... I never skip bf cause it is the most important meal of the day in my opinion.

JacquiMorrison

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I tend to just have fruit or skip it entirely, discovered bran flakes are a no go, sugars at 16 for about 4 hours after taking two shots of insulin

Reactions: kimrooney89

MuntiJay

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
I love Muffin Parfait. :hungry:
Halve a whole grain or other high-fiber muffin (aim for one with 30 grams of carbohydrates and at least 3 grams of fiber), cover with berries, and top with a dollop of low- or nonfat yogurt for a fast and easy breakfast.

Robo42

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My idea breakfast after a lot of 'blood testing' is a large mushroom with few slices of smoked sausage or an egg, I microwave them. The only cereal I have are oat ones better with the GI, so porridge or Oatibix flakes & biscuits being best as very low in sugar. I have now found Nestle Oat Cheerios Low Sugar, not bad.

Wilki.356

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Porridge with chia seeds or flax seeds, mixed with blue berries and raspberries. Two weetabix with the same berries, or with strawberries and hot milk. Toast with peanut butter.