Dietician appointment

Hartnell6

Type of diabetes
Type 2
What can I expect from a dietician? I've been referred to a dietician for my diabetes. I had a dietician when I was pregnant with my daughters. My diet is the same as it was when I was pregnant not changed it at all. Yet I'm still having blood sugar issues. Don't know what they can suggest if my diet is the same. I eat hardly any carbs and really trying hard I walk daily and still my weight won't budge. I'm thinking it is water retention as I have destrusor failure ( bladder failure) so I use catheters to empty bladder. Any help suggestions would be greatly appreciated. As I'm at a loss of what to do.

Polgara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What can I expect from a dietician? I've been referred to a dietician for my diabetes. I had a dietician when I was pregnant with my daughters. My diet is the same as it was when I was pregnant not changed it at all. Yet I'm still having blood sugar issues. Don't know what they can suggest if my diet is the same. I eat hardly any carbs and really trying hard I walk daily and still my weight won't budge. I'm thinking it is water retention as I have destrusor failure ( bladder failure) so I use catheters to empty bladder. Any help suggestions would be greatly appreciated. As I'm at a loss of what to do.
I've got an initial appt with a dietitian tomorrow afternoon - so I'll get back to you after that to say what it was like :)

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I went to see a dietician when I was diagnosed as type2.
She couldn't,t have been more then 25. Personally it was a waste of time as she said to eat bread, pasta and potatoes.
I was offered another appointment for 6 months later but I declined.
I have had more and better dieter advice from all people here

Reactions: fullenglish22

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If your going down the low carb route then could I suggest 20g a day and no low fat foods .. all good high fats .. I lost 6st without extra excise eating this way .. (I am a vegetarian)

Mark_1

I got the standard line about a healthy diet etc. Once she realised I had some idea we had a really interesting conversation. In fact she asked me to stay as the next appointment had been cancelled. Basically I was told that they have to give out the standard advice as they are normally dealing with someone who has no idea and very little chance of making big changes. I was told to carry on doing as I was doing and ignore NHS guidelines. They have a degree in nutrition and aren't stupid but are told to give advice that the general public may follow. I literally had someone nodding while saying no, I feel sorry for some of them. Go with an open mind you may get a good one like I did. Have a list of questions ready.

Reactions: Struma

Ross.Walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
sprouts, evil things
I had a Dietician who was quite pragmatic, she did go on about making sure I eat some carbs as per the NICE guidelines. She did listen to my lifestyle choices and the few recommendations she did come up with were useful.

I would go in with an open mind, ask questions and take time to think about the answers before committing.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was sacked by a dietician because I was under weight !!
CAROL

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Sadly too many dieticians haven't a clue but you may be lucky and have one who doesn't give out the Eatwell Guide stuff and is up to date with how the body works. Keeping the carbs down is the way to go to try to get to a good BMI. If this just doesn't work then perhaps the GP can prescribe some suitable meds bearing in mind your other conditions.

Hayden_McCall

Type of diabetes
Type 2
When I was admitted to the hospital with ketoacidosis, my discharge dietician prescribed me a diet that aimed for me to consume 45-75 carbs per meal, and another 15-30 for snacks between major meals. 165-285g of carbs per day. How f'ing crazy is that? And my primary backed it up! You're suffering from a condition brought on by carb and sugar poisoning, and they're prescribing you with a huge diet of the very things that put you in this position. Then, they tell me if I don't eat enough carbs, the insulin can take me to the complete opposite end and I can go hypo? These people are nuts.

78b60b6b316c09fa2094b026e6e46df4.jpg
7e406b49a2be016a5925ff147a6ce1e0.jpg
8a1d9eac2f62f0b16fcdab08ab9803fa.jpg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cigarette smoking and consumption of alcohol.
I check my FBS daily. my blood sugar is between 4.7 to 5.3 mmol/L. I will avoid the food items that cause hyperglycemia.