Medtronic 640 - battery

bobcurly

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello. Would anyone mind telling me how long the battery lasts on their medtronic pump? My daughters seems to need a new one every 2 or 3 days. Thanks

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
About a week. But I've probably got the screen displaying a bit too long. There are decent warnings that that battery doesn't have long left, just make sure to include a spare battery in your pump kit.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Also, instead of using the AA batteries that Medtronic supply, use the Energizer Lithium batteries that you can buy in supermarkets. They last significantly longer.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Wow that's not long at all, mine lasts about 3 weeks, I would call Medtronic and ask them if this is a technical issue with the pump, 2-3 days is not good, if there is a technical issue then they should resolve this for you.

Mickyduff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Mine lasts for around a week, but it does depend on how often you keep activating the screen, press buttons etc... But also as catapillar suggests, the screen duration could be on to long too.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I agree with @Juicyj , contact Medtronic to let them know of a possible fault. I use the Enlite sensor along with the 640G which is supposed to reduce the battery life even further. I get about a fortnight from Medtronic's batteries and around a month with lithium ones, so it does look like there could be a problem with your daughter's pump.

Saffron26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Bobcurly, have you always had to replace the battery every 2/3 days or has this started recently? A few months ago, my battery suddenly needed replacing very frequently and then I got a "power error" - Medtronic sent a replacement pump. It had something to do with the software so it may be worth calling Medtronic.

bobcurly

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you - it has always been like this (only had it a month) but we have also had a problem with the screen whiting out so i think it may be faulty. I.ll give them a call. Thanks

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @bobcurly As this is a new pump then yes it definitely sounds faulty, their tech team will know what's best so good luck let us know how you get on :)

AmandaD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
mine lasts almost 4 weeks I use the Energiser Ultimate Lithium ones, they've got the blue swirl on them

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
Mine lasts 3-4 weeks with the medtronic batteries

jonesB634

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Make surer that you have the correct AA Energizer Batteries and set your pump to 30min back light this then will give you 4 to 5 weeks life

Reactions: Juicyj

jemmaedias

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey Bob - mine lasted two weeks but since putting the backlight to 30 seconds it's lasted much longer. Also found my 640 lovesss Energizer, and will eat up anything else within days.

Reactions: Juicyj
Type of diabetes
Type 1
My battery lasts 3-4 weeks also. I've had 3 faulty pumps in 6 years, I definitely would get a replacement pump. It's not worth the battery going dead and dealing with what happens afterwards. Best of luck to you.