Insurance with diabetes

Brian42

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Does anyone know where does car insurance without discriminating.
As newly being diagnosed t1/t2 I have lost my bus license and been given a 3year restricted car license.
My car insurance is up soon and the quotes are ridiculous because of the restriction...anyone help..Please.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
I have been applying through one of the market comparing websites ( go compare , confused.com etc, etc ) for my car insurance for many years and my premiums always seem reasonable to me .

I pay around £259 per year to fully comprehensive insure a 1 year old Vauxhall astra GTC - my wife is named on the policy as well.

hope this helps. !!

moore_sa

The price increase won't be anything to do with the fact you're diabetic I'm afraid insurance has soared. I work for a car insurance company and as part if disability equality act by law they can't charge you more because you're diabetic. As suggested look online at comparison sites

buckmr2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Exercise
That's right.Insurance companies cant increase your premiums due to your diabetes otherwise it's discrimination which is illegal.The DVLA have issued your licence so your deemed fit to have a licence...PERIOD!
I'm T1 and only pay £144/yr for a Jag XJ TDVi twin turbo and I got £27 cashback off that (see below).
An awful lot of other factors effect your premium including...
Car;
Age;
How long you've had a (full) licence;
Postcode... (if other people in your immediate postcode have claimed it can effect your premium as you're deemed to be in a more "at risk" postcode);
Occupation;
Mileage;
Excess (increasing your excess typically brings your premium down);
Use;
The list goes on.
Good luck,have a shop around and remember you can reduce the overall cost to you by buying online via cashback apps like Topcashback,Quidco etc
Go to the Moneysavingexpert website to see which comparison sites to use to cover the vast majority of insurers and then when you get a suitable quote but it via one of the csshback sites to save even more,
No disrespect but being a little bit savvy and spending a littls bit of time and it'll save you £££s and not just on car insurance.
Good luck

toscamo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm with Direct Line and they weren't at all bothered when I told them I was an insulin-using diabetic, and also now on a 3-year licence. They said as long as I was following medical advice (test before driving, and every couple of hours on long trips) they didn't need to change anything to do with my car insurance, and there was no change in premium when I renewed (apart from the usual small increase you expect from year to year). Keep shopping around!

che

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As newly being diagnosed t1/t2 I have lost my bus license and been given a 3year restricted car license.
My car insurance is up soon and the quotes are ridiculous because of the restriction...anyone help..Please.
I have a 3 year restricted licence and have heart problems too.

It made no difference to my insurance, in fact my renewal went down ! although all insurance policys have gone up anyway.

Coopsman1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is just a thought but now that you are no longer a bus driver, perhaps the insurance company no longer recognises you as a professional driver. Perhaps this a contribution along with what others have said.

jindivik

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Changed to Direct Line two years ago - last year T2 went onto insulin - premium at renewal went up some 30% dug my heels in and premium was reduced again
It's worth arguing

JohnJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Brian42, I recently had to do the same – returned licence exchanged for 3 year version with restrictions as you, due to the move to insulin.

I contacted my insurance company and there was no surcharge, they said it is noted on file, I did question why no extra premium and they said our driving status/capability is managed via the DVLA who have access to our medical records, plus with the renewal every 3 years we are monitored far more closely than a non diabetic who has passed a test years ago. So in reality a lower risk!

brittyb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
We find that by insuring my son with us on multicar with Admiral or Aviva is the best. He was diagnosed 3 months after he passed hius test and got his first car. So if you have a family member and with Admiral they don't have to live at your address it does help cut the cost.

Mdearie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am now an ADI after I
Was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, Dvla gave me a restricted 3 year licence and I have to renew my bus and lorry licence every year after a medical. My insurance has not suffered because of my diabetes.

fifi20

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
:happy: I went to Hastings direct and were fine with me I had a quote £321. 91 for my 05 five door Corsa my previous insurer offered me £419 even they wouldn't match the price and they were LV. I also have 3 year restrictions too.

Patchezzie_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
This last week I've been doing our insurance, and a LOT of the responses I got were upped by £60 . I always do multiple sites and I ended up with Esure , the one we were already with. Plod on with your searches, Sainsbury's btw was a huge £ 887. We generally pay £260 ish ..laughable isn't it?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Plod on with your searches, Sainsbury's btw was a huge £ 887. We generally pay £260 ish ..laughable isn't it?

Blimey, I was with Sainsbury's last year and they were one of the cheapest around, changed to the AA this year as they offered me a discount with having breakdown cover with them.

nailchewer

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Negativity
I am with admiral and no problems with them at all. premium is very good £23 per month for fully comp and hubby with pacemaker! Plus all the extras like no claims protection and legal cover and windscreen cover.

BeckiDover

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I had the same problem only this week, I got my renewal through and it had gone up £12 a month. Nothing to do with the fact I'm now diabetic, however.
Best thing to do is just find out the cheapest quote through compare the market, then phone up your current insurer and tell them you've found it cheaper elsewhere and they were happy to match the quote I found elsewhere with no questions asked!

Hope that helps - unlikely to be anything to do with the fact you're diabetic.

Reactions: himtoo

Brian42

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have been applying through one of the market comparing websites ( go compare , confused.com etc, etc ) for my car insurance for many years and my premiums always seem reasonable to me .

I pay around £259 per year to fully comprehensive insure a 1 year old Vauxhall astra GTC - my wife is named on the policy as well.

hope this helps. !!

Brian42

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for all the advice and Will consider all advice and perceive...thanks again .. it just seemed I was being victimized as being newly diabetic but not the case

Brian42

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm with Direct Line and they weren't at all bothered when I told them I was an insulin-using diabetic, and also now on a 3-year licence. They said as long as I was following medical advice (test before driving, and every couple of hours on long trips) they didn't need to change anything to do with my car insurance, and there was no change in premium when I renewed (apart from the usual small increase you expect from year to year). Keep shopping around!

Brian42

Type of diabetes
Type 1

hope this helps. !!
Thanks