I am a Compliant Diabetic ... really

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like you were short changed.
I just looked it up and it seems DESMOND is more than just one course....
http://www.desmond-project.org.uk/whatisthedesmondprogramme-271.html

Also looks like most of them are failing in one of their primary aims according to the reports in this thread..

"In all DESMOND modules, individuals are supported to identify their own health risks and then respond by setting personalised goals which are behavioural and specific. Supporting people to be confident self managers of their diabetes is essential to achieving these goals."

Testing? Dietary Choices?

Reactions: Avocado Sevenfold

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Also looks like most of them are failing in one of their primary aims according to the reports in this thread..

"In all DESMOND modules, individuals are supported to identify their own health risks and then respond by setting personalised goals which are behavioural and specific. Supporting people to be confident self managers of their diabetes is essential to achieving these goals."
Testing? Dietary Choices?
And also in the statement for "Outcomes" ..
Patient satisfaction with ability to self-manage their type 2 diabetes after attending a structured education programme.
Personally, I'm not satisfied that I can self-manage when my Doc has told me not to test and my Dietician has told me to eat a quarter of a plate of starchy carbs with every meal .. which is why I smile, say thankyou .. and ignore

Edit: spelling mistake

Last edited:
A

Avocado Sevenfold

And also in the statement for "Outcomes" ..
Patient satisfaction with ability to self-manage their type 2 diabetes after attending a structured education programme.
Personally, I'm not satisfied that I can self-manage when my Doc has told me not to test and my Dietician has told me to eat a quarter of a plate of starchy carbs with every meal .. which is why I smile, say thankyou .. and ignore

Edit: spelling mistake
Self-manage. That's what you are doing. You self-manage your diabetes and leave the doc and nurse to manage their budgets or whatever. But I don't understand why you let them off the hook. In my opinion, you should share your good news with them otherwise they will think their carb-ridden, non-testing regime is working for you.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I've said it before in previous posts and I'll say it again from what I've seen from many posts these courses are a waste of time and money for the majority and even harmful when the advice given is bad. I'm lucky never to have been offered any of them. Some NHS savings to be made on this.

Reactions: TooManyCrisps

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Self-manage. That's what you are doing. You self-manage your diabetes and leave the doc and nurse to manage their budgets or whatever. But I don't understand why you let them off the hook. In my opinion, you should share your good news with them otherwise they will think their carb-ridden, non-testing regime is working for you.
I will be "sharing" with them when I have my full (first) annual review with Nursie on 25th .. otherwise, as I have said, nothing I say would make any difference because:
a) they are locked into their mindset
b) they are doing what they do (eg: saying there is no need for testing) to save money
c) they already "know" about the real benefits of LCHF and exercise .. but refuse to acknowledge this
So, also as I said before .. there is no point

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I will be "sharing" with them when I have my full (first) annual review with Nursie on 25th .. otherwise, as I have said, nothing I say would make any difference because:
a) they are locked into their mindset
b) they are doing what they do (eg: saying there is no need for testing) to save money
c) they already "know" about the real benefits of LCHF and exercise .. but refuse to acknowledge this
So, also as I said before .. there is no point
Good stuff. It is only through people sharing what worked for them that I am not on the brown pasta and bananas myself now. Best wishes for your forthcoming review.

Reactions: AM1874

slikwipman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Intolerance
I would imagine that all these people want is to talk at people as though they are children, job done let's go home. Most probably couldn't care less about patient care. This sort of attitude is common, not just in healthcare. When you do find a professional with a work ethic it's a revelation.

Roxyharford

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Idiots
Friday 12th May: Day 1 of my 2 day structured education course - "Diabetes and You" .. runs for 2 hours today and 2 hours on 19th. I'm not sure how much can be covered in 2 x 2 hour sessions .. but, hey, I go because that's what the letter from the "expert DB team" told me to do.

So, 12 people booked on the course and 7 turn up .. me, another guy about 45 years old and 5 women aged, I guess, from 60 to 70, one of whom asked during the intro session .. "what time are we going to break for lunch?"

The course leader put up a couple of OHPs explaining the role of the pancreas and the flow of sugar in the bloodstream. This looked interesting .. so, after a minute or so, she took them down and immediately went on to diet being the most important element of DB management. Another minute or so (literally) and she introduced the dietician. This is the same "expert" with whom I had an appointment a few weeks ago .. and that went well :meh:

She spent about 40 minutes on a repeat performance of what she had covered at my appointment (Eatwell Plate .. starchy carbs .. yes, you can eat potatoes and bananas etc etc). When she had finished, the 45 year old raised the issue of research showing that DB could be reversed with LCHF and exercise. Her response, "not enough information .. too early to say .. no cure for DB .. its a progressive disease .. you're just going to have to learn to live with it. So, any questions?"

And that was it. Started at 2.00pm and finished at 3.05 .. but next week, we'll be covering blood pressure, cholesterol and weight loss .. so, that'll be good :meh:

I learned nothing that I didn't already know .. what was covered was at best, inappropriate .. and I was left wondering simply - why? But I am compliant and I was quite proud of the fact that I:
listened .. nodded .. smiled and said thankyou ..
and now I am ignoring ;)

This makes me so mad, what a waste of taxpayers money hosting these time wasting inappropriate and outsourced courses. Ill educated 'experts' who read an out of date book c20 years ago, giving outdated incorrect advice to newly diagnosed diabetics who need help, educating about their condition and support. These courses should be held by a diabetic who could do a much better job !

Last edited by a moderator:

emmay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Its such a shame theses courses are set up when there clearly not very beneficial, what annoys we is that they don't take on board the experiences of someone that is actually Diabetic, they merely revert to their standard text. I understand that the basic principles help everyone but you expect when your getting a course from an expert that they can see out of the box and should encourage discussion on a subject which is currently so high profile for Diabetics.
In my experience having only been diagnosed for the past 6 years, that when you see a health care professional they drip feed you helpful and useful ideas but you have to wade through the DAFNE basics each time....
With regards to Dietitians I'm sorry to say but they have been useless in my care and as noted are unable to approach anything which does not fit their standard model. I asked mine once about what you can have for a snack? That was way to difficult for her to answer without including each food group!!

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Friday 19th May : Day 2 of my course .. a better day today, we finished at 10 past 3 instead of 5 past so, therefore, we must have covered more material and learned more .. mustn't we?? The fact that 90% of what we did cover was a re-hash of the "Eatwell Plate", don't eat trans fats, tinned tuna is no good beause it doesn't contain Omega 3, and sustainable weight loss can only be achieved by counting calories and reducing portion sizes seemed to be lost on most people there. The remaining 10% was spent by a podiatrist talking about foot care .. potentially useful but, unfortunately, extremely patronising
So, I've now done my course and I am looking forward to my annual review with Diabetic Nursie next week ..

Last edited:
Reactions: Glenmac

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've scanned this thread just in case someone has already said what I want to say and I didn't see it, apologise if I missed it!

So someone with a nut allergy - they don't tell them to carry on eating nuts do they? And they've contradicted themselves by starting the 1st course off by saying diet is the most important part of controlling diabetes.

went on to diet being the most important element of DB management

and then dismiss a diet because it doesn't conform to their standards - when will they understand diabetes IS progressive IF you carry on eating too many carbs?!?!?!?!

And calm...........:facepalm:

Reactions: ziggy_w

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Omega 3 is removed in the canning process .... apparently :meh:
Seems that tuna in spring water is better than tuna in oils. Apparently the oils can leach out the omega 3's whereas the water doesn't.. can't find any further details.. also that info was from US websites so obviously brands etc will be diff. Hope that's helpful.

S

serenity648

ta. I get my daughter to bring me a couple of dozen cans of Waitrose tuna in olive oil when she visits. I eat the olive oil too.