Diabetic eye screening

Peter5145

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I recently went for my first diabetic eye screening which was to be combined with my regular eye test. However, I was told that, as part of the screening, I would have to have the eye pressure test which involves blowing air into my eye. This is something I've never been able to do as I simply flinch from it.

I was told that there was an alternative method which involved anaesthetising the eye and then touching the surface to measure the pressure, but that sounded rather alarming so on that occasion I didn't go ahead with the screening.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Is the second procedure really as traumatic as it sounds, and is it something that a commercial optician is really qualified to administer?

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you mean blink? Surely everybody does that when the air hits their eye. I assumed they had already made the measurement by then, although come to think of it, I would like to know what it is they measure and how.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I remember having that done and I can't see the problem. It's quick puff of air which I would not class as blowing air into your eye since it lasts a fraction of a second and is completely painless.

Dark Horse

The eye pressure test is part of the routine eye test you have at the optician's, it is not normally part of the diabetic eye screening test in the UK. You should be able to have eye screening without having to have your eye pressures measured.

The pressure test with anaesthetic sounds more alarming than it is. Opticians who are qualified to make these measurements are known as optometrists. Hospitals often employ optometrists to measure eye pressures for them in their glaucoma/ocular hypertension clinics.

Reactions: KezG

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
Me too! It's called tonometry.
The pressure check by blowing in wind, I find totally intolerable, since I had spinal surgery.
The other pressure check is a walk in the park in comparison, drops go in eye (at least 100 times better than dilating retinal photography ones.) There is usually a touch of fluorescein dye in them, so tissues look yellow.
For me, I know when the anaesthetic takes because I feel very tired, my eyelids get really heavy. It goes quickly.
A 'chin lamp' is used to do the test, and I've never known that it's being done. From my experience, I whole heartedly recommend it. I will NEVER have the wind test again. I've waffled on a bit, sorry.

Edit: Have only ever had it done at the opticians.

Reactions: KezG

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I was told that there was an alternative method which involved anaesthetising the eye and then touching the surface to measure the pressure, but that sounded rather alarming so on that occasion I didn't go ahead with the screening.

I'm under the care of a Ophthalmology Clinic, they do the test above but don't anaesthetise the eyes, never have done in fact, the apparatus doesn't actually touch the eye but comes extremely close.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The pressure check by blowing in wind, I find totally intolerable, since I had spinal surgery.
I find this unbelievable, there is really nothing to object to. How does spinal surgery make a difference?

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
Ah yes. Cervical spinal fusion of C5-7 via Cloward's approach, with failure to fuse.
When I jump from that puff of wind the vertebra move, knocking the spinal cord, and compressing the nerves, resulting in quite bad pains.

Teammidwife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have had both. The one with anaesthetic drops was done after the"air" test to confirm slightly high pressures (and I flinch and blink with the air test too). The test with the drops is much better and completely painless