Seasonal dosage increase

jemmaedias

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Good evening guys!

This is not a concern, just a query.

Last summer I noticed some AWFUL blood sugars and almost doubled my basal twice!!! It was assumed to be the end of my honeymoon as I had only been diagnosed for about 6 months then. However, I've noticed it again this year.

Could this be the heat??? (Although it doesn't seem too sunny at the moment!)

And is this a link to resistance or something?

I'm very curious to work out what this is and if anyone else has this. DSN didn't really answer my question.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm having some basal issues too but we've only had a few warm days. The bolus hasn't changed. I know weather effects my basal but scary to take too much as there are so many other influences.

jemmaedias

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm having some basal issues too but we've only had a few warm days. The bolus hasn't changed. I know weather effects my basal but scary to take too much as there are so many other influences.

I always feel nervous too! I am on a pump now so it's much easier! But depending on how high they were I always tried an extra 2 or 3 every three days so you can give time for it to settle. Having to get used to it all over again on the pump and can't find a balance between hyper and hypo!

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
we are all different so I can only give my experience , that my insulin needs do seem to increase as the weather gets warmer.
I am on a pump too -- this deffo helps to make smaller changes quicker !!

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I always feel nervous too! I am on a pump now so it's much easier! But depending on how high they were I always tried an extra 2 or 3 every three days so you can give time for it to settle. Having to get used to it all over again on the pump and can't find a balance between hyper and hypo!
I've increased from 1 unit lantus to 2 and seems I could use another as I'm still rising a tad, nothing fearful though. 1 unit would keep me rock steady. Go to bed at 85 wake up 85. Now go to bed at 85 wake up 115 on one unit and 105 on two. Then there's the fear of that random 30 point drop! Last night 74 at bed two units and 89 this morning. I know, all within range but I was always rock steady on one unit
My fear comes from the random changes when the wind blows. The only way to find out your needs have changed is to hypo or hyper. It's the hypos I fear of course.
We've really only had three nice days. I can't believe that's enough to change my insulin needs. I've only been on insulin for 3 years and the first year was a bit of a disaster sorting things out and the second year didn't realize weather could change things so much so no real history to track but I thought I remembered I needed less bolus but don't recall basal. Arg, the wind is blowing!!!

Bluemarine Josephine

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello everyone! I hope that you are all very well today!

During DAFNE course (that I attended some 2 years ago) we were told that our insulin needs change depending on the season, the weather, the altitude and of course activity, stress levels, menstrual cycle etc.

They told us that usually, we need less insulin when the weather gets warmer and more insulin when the weather gets colder. My experience with diabetes has shown me that all the above are only guidelines and that, when it comes to diabetes, everyone is completely different.

Regarding you question, I have noticed the following happening with me. I was diagnosed in 2012 (5 years now) and every year (and I mean EVERY year) I need to raise my basal insulin in November. In fact, I need to raise it almost one week after we change to winter hour…and this happens with the precision of a Swiss clock! (I am not joking…)This lasts up until March… around the end of March my sensitivity changes again.

It isn’t because of changes in exercise (because my activity remains the same) or any lifestyle change. I honestly believe that something happens with the seasons, the weather and our body clock. I have even noticed that on rainy days my insulin absorption isn’t the same as it is on sunnier days (I know I sound horribly OCD now…)

I have no scientific evidence to prove what I am saying but, honestly, it happens…

Regards
Josephine

P.S. In relation to Kristin's message above, my father suffers from high blood pressure and we have noticed that his blood pressure can change depending on the wind... his blood pressure fluctuates differently when the wind comes from the south and is humid that from the north and is dry and cold...

Last edited:

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello everyone! I hope that you are all very well today!

During DAFNE course (that I attended some 2 years ago) we were told that our insulin needs change depending on the season, the weather, the altitude and of course activity, stress levels, menstrual cycle etc.

They told us that usually, we need less insulin when the weather gets warmer and more insulin when the weather gets colder. My experience with diabetes has shown me that all the above are only guidelines and that, when it comes to diabetes, everyone is completely different.

Regarding you question, I have noticed the following happening with me. I was diagnosed in 2012 (5 years now) and every year (and I mean EVERY year) I need to raise my basal insulin in November. In fact, I need to raise it almost one week after we change to winter hour…and this happens with the precision of a Swiss clock! (I am not joking…)This lasts up until March… around the end of March my sensitivity changes again.

It isn’t because of changes in exercise (because my activity remains the same) or any lifestyle change. I honestly believe that something happens with the seasons, the weather and our body clock. I have even noticed that on rainy days my insulin absorption isn’t the same as it is on sunnier days (I know I sound horribly OCD now…)

I have no scientific evidence to prove what I am saying but, honestly, it happens…

Regards
Josephine

P.S. In relation to Kristin's message above, my father suffers from high blood pressure and we have noticed that his blood pressure can change depending on the wind... his blood pressure fluctuates differently when the wind comes from the south and is humid that from the north and is dry and cold...
Hi there!!
You don't sound OCD at all. In fact t thought I was crazy thinking raining and cloudy vs sunny was all in my head!! All we can do is the best we can do. Of course we have the season change but where I am it's still cold and cloudy more often than sunny and warm. 2 warm days so far, arg. Well it's gotta be coming soon!

Crystalwand

Type of diabetes
Type 1
This happens to me for the last 40 years, I told the nurses they just told me don't be silly,so after that I just check BG, five to ten times a day, two children later both now adults, I gave up telling anyone, I was wrong, they were right, I keep good records for me, and change my dose accordingly, it's all fun and games, eyes haven't changed only for reading, I drive and go to the gym. you are number one it's your diabetes

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Just for balance, my basal needs decrease in the warmer weather and increase again when it gets colder :rolleyes:

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I almost never change my basal, 25U/d the whole time. Maybe reduce it to 22 for a golf/hike day but not for season/heat. Don't make yourself into a mental case!

DaftThoughts

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My insulin sensitivity is crazy high in hot weather. I had to recently adjust my bolus from 12 to 14 units (presumably due to honeymoon slowly ending) and seem to be doing excellent despite the heat, but my blood sugar doesn't spike as badly and even drops more than usual when I bolus on hot days.I will probably have to adjust my i:c ratio to compensate this coming week as we're expecting to hit 30C again and I bike everywhere. Since this is my first summer on a bolus/basal regime I'm keeping a close eye on both though, for all I know my basal will go down once summer really hits! We only had a couple of hot days so far so who knows.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My basal needs go up in the summer.
Does your bolus change at all?

My basal is wacky right now. Seems to change everyday. Having a few lows after a few highs.
My bolus hasn't changed or maybe a tad as I seem to be dipping a bit rather than going up a bit but I also started on R ALA which is doing wonders for many things.